Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What chain "weight" do I order?

Go down 
+4
YZEtc
mcdoudlehopper
chuckP
Skithis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Skithis

What chain "weight" do I order? Empty
PostSubject: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:45 am

I'm getting ready to order a GYTR 13t front and 45T rear sprocket. I'm also going to order a EK chain from GYTR while I'm at it. What style chain do I need? Yamahas website lists:

GMX = Non O-Ring
GMXL = Non O-Ring (lighter version)
GDO = O-Ring
GDX = X-Ring seals
GDXL = X-Ring seals (lighter version)

WTF is the difference between all these? What is the best for my application?
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon May 27, 2013 2:43 am

The "L" is a lighter chain for 125 & 250cc bikes. Just make sure to get an O or X ring chain.
Back to top Go down
Skithis

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon May 27, 2013 10:34 am

So the 520 GDXL would be best for the X?
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon May 27, 2013 8:31 pm

I'd go 520 GDO 112 links. No experiance with x-ring.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon May 27, 2013 8:39 pm

X-ring is a better-sealing type of O-ring with less drag.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Go with the X ring, and don't get the "light weight" chain.

my 2 cents thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Skithis

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 12:04 am

520GDX it is. When searching everybody seemed to say that 110 link chain would fit 13/45?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyTue May 28, 2013 8:24 am

Yeah - I've got a 13/48 combo and 112 links fits that perfectly.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 12:52 am

I had 13x45 and went to a 13x46 which I like alot better. Mostly 2 lane twisty mountain roads on an x.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Dropper my 13-47 to a 12-47 today and like the wheelie power. wings
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Yea don't get a non o-ring chain.  I made that mistake before.  I did it because it was cheap.  Because of the short life, it will probably be more expensive in the long run.  I did not lube it after a ride and it started rusting and getting sticky links.  Now I am going to run a x-ring chain.
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:46 am

duanew wrote:
Yea don't get a non o-ring chain.  I made that mistake before.  I did it because it was cheap.  Because of the short life, it will probably be more expensive in the long run.  I did not lube it after a ride and it started rusting and getting sticky links.  Now I am going to run a x-ring chain.

It doesn't matter if it was a O-ring or a Non O-ring if you don't lube your chain.

The O-ring chain will fail just as quickly as a non O-ring chain if not properly maintained.

I just went back to a "quality" non O-ring chain.

The O-ring chain is supposedly prevent dirt into getting into the chains links but it still does and it never comes out. The non O-ring chain is easier to clean out.

Also i recommend the DuPont Teflon Chain Lube. It's dry to the touch so it doesn't fling everywhere and doesn't have build up issue like the Wax Type chain lubes (Maxima Chain Lube).
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 6:28 pm

DeadmTrigger wrote:

The O-ring chain is supposedly prevent dirt into getting into the chains links but it still does and it never comes out. The non O-ring chain is easier to clean out.

Hmm?
Unless we're talking about an O- or X-ring chain with lots of miles on it and it's just worn out, I've never had this problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What chain "weight" do I order?   What chain "weight" do I order? Empty

Back to top Go down

What chain "weight" do I order?
Page 1 of 1