Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

weird sound from front sprocket area

Go down 
+3
motokid
chuckP
SCL09TREX
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SCL09TREX

SCL09TREX

weird sound from front sprocket area Empty
PostSubject: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:24 am

got a 2013 wrr with about 3000 miles on it now and theres a weird kinda metal grinding noise almost like a bad bearing is thier a bearing behind the front sprocket i can replace i have a warrenty but they wont cover it because my rear rim bent from a big fat pot hole in the road. i havnt pulled it apart yet cuz of work but any advice or tips would be great

thanks
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 3:12 am

How is your chain tension?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 5:26 am

Why would a bent rear rim from a pot-hole have anything to do with warranty covering grinding noise from front sprocket?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:16 am

I have had the same sort of noise ever since replacing my OEM chain & sprockets.  Chain tension is good - I can't find anything wrong.  I just chalked it up to a noisy chain/sprocket combo.  Hope I'm right.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am

"I have a warrenty but they wont cover it because my rear rim bent from a big fat pot hole in the road"

I call BS on that. That is like telling me my truck isn't covered on warranty because I have a scratch on the side of it or a dent inside the box from hauling stuff. I would be looking at a new dealer myself. If there is something f'd up there it would have nothing to do with a dent in the rim...unless I am mistaken.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am

I can see how they are trying to talk themselves out of it. a bent rim could also mean a hefty crash, resulting in other damage to for example the front sprocket. of course the warranty doesn't cover crash damage, so they get rid of you real easy.

pretty stupid from the dealer, as it must be obvious the bike doesn't have any other physical damage it would have from a crash big enough to bend your rim. I'd go look for a new dealer. any yamaha dealer will cover your warranty, not just the one you bought the bike from.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:32 am

Find a local wr250r rider. 

Offer them a case of beer to swap rear wheels for a few days. 

Take bike to stealership and have them look at sprocket/noise. 

Then trade rear wheel back and pay off your debt with beer. thumbdutch

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SCL09TREX

SCL09TREX

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 am

the sound was there foe a week prior to the bent rim but i thought it was a loose chain then after having the rim off to look at it and replace the blown out tube and tighten the chain tension its still there and sounds like it might be getting worse so this situation sucks and i would glady offer a local 250 rider a case of beer but just moved out here and dont know anyone here so im out that one
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 5:19 am

Did a local stealership actually tell you that a bent rear rim voids your warranty for something motor related? 

Or are you just assuming that's the case?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SCL09TREX

SCL09TREX

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 8:10 pm

they told me because of the bent rim their is a 90% chance they wont cover it but ive found another place out here thats helpinme out
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 8:13 pm

SCL09TREX wrote:
they told me because of the bent rim their is a 90% chance they wont cover it but ive found another place out here thats helpinme out
Be sure to report back what they find. 

You should drop off a burning bag of dog shit on that first dealers door step.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Old Blue

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 9:42 pm

How many miles on the bike?  I would pull the front sprocket cover off (three 8mm bolts) and have a look at the bottom side of the chain slider.  Could be it has been eaten away and the sound you hear could be the chain eating your swingarm.  Hope this is not the case.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 am

chuckP wrote:
How is your chain tension?

N8 wrote:
I have had the same sort of noise ever since replacing my OEM chain & sprockets.  Chain tension is good - I can't find anything wrong. 

Old Blue wrote:
How many miles on the bike?  I would pull the front sprocket cover off (three 8mm bolts) and have a look at the bottom side of the chain slider.  Could be it has been eaten away and the sound you hear could be the chain eating your swingarm.  Hope this is not the case.

When you say "chain tension is good" what do you mean by that? 

Good relative to standard street bike tension - or good according to Yamaha's recommended procedure where it looks almost too sloppy when compared to normal street bikes? 

A chain that's too tight will cause damage quickly. 

On our bikes, looser is better than tighter for swing-arm damage potential. 

What chain and sprocket set did you replace the OEM stuff with?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 6:29 am

For me I used:

"Primary Drive 520 ORH Gold X-Ring Chain 520x120"

Steel sprockets 13/47.  I think the front is a Renthal and the rear is a PD.  I also replaced the slider when I did the chain & sprockets.

My swingarm did have some damage from the original set.

My tension is good as best as I can tell.  It's definitely not pulled tight thru the full suspension travel, but it's not sloppy either.

The noise has not changed since I put them on and I have put at least a thousand miles on.  No louder or quieter.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 am

You got swing-arm damage in less than 3000 miles???????  eeekeeekeeek

Or just slider wear?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 am

Both but I'm not sure where you got the 3,000 from.  My bike has 13,000.  9,000 of which were by the previous owner.  I replaced the original chain/sprockets at around 10k.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 am

SCL09TREX wrote:
got a 2013 wrr with about 3000 miles on it now and theres a weird kinda metal grinding noise almost like a bad bearing is thier a bearing behind the front sprocket i can replace i have a warrenty but they wont cover it because my rear rim bent from a big fat pot hole in the road. i havnt pulled it apart yet cuz of work but any advice or tips would be great

thanks
 Oops... I thought you were op....Shog

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SCL09TREX

SCL09TREX

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 10:09 pm

oill have a better update thursday cuz im gonna have someone take a good look at it so ill let u know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weird sound from front sprocket area   weird sound from front sprocket area Empty

Back to top Go down

weird sound from front sprocket area
Page 1 of 1