Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Yeah, another chain question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-O

Yeah, another chain question Empty
PostSubject: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Here goes another chain question....good grief.

I'm looking to buy a 520 GDO or GDX chain for my wr 250 r. I'm considering the DID 520VX2 X-Ring Chain but I read that the master link is a crush type and it is a pain in the ass. What would be the best chain, this type to buy that has a master link that is more compromising to set up, not as big a PIA. I'm also looking at the 110-112 chain length.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Rivet master links are best.

One of the local dealers around here lends you the rivet tool to install the chain when you buy a chain from them, check if one of yours will do that for you, if not go with the clip style and keep an eye on it.

I made a rivet tool out of a c clamp too, its a pita to use but got the job done.
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks Big Lake. What I would really appreciate, is if you all could tell me what brand of sprockets/chains you have, the model number and where you got them from. Is there one place to order all this stuff from? My phones right now are working really badly right now, rain etc. I could really use a hand here.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:18 pm

I still have the stock chain, I lenghtened it 6 links (4 wouldve worked too but I wanted the wheel all the way back for studded tire clearance) with a piece of chain I had in my tool box it was left over from another bike or race quad with 2 rivet links. I have a 50 tooth sunstar steel rear sprocket and the stock front one.

None of this helps you out tho poser2 

Im in canada so I doubt you want to buy parts where I do:lol!:

You didnt post what sprockets your running... get the 112 link chain if your running a 48 or larger rear sprocket.
I like cheap steal sprockets and did x ring chains. 
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:35 pm

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/44/54/226/959/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/0/Chain-and-Sprocket-Kits <-- clicky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Here is what I found at Rocky Mtn:

Primary Drive Steel Kit & Gold X-Ring Chain
Fits: 2011 YAMAHA WR250X

My bike is a 2013 WR250R .......I'm assuming the X stuff fits an R type machine....Yes?

I'm also looking to set this thing up with 13/47-48 sprockets and 14/maybe 49.  Obviously I need a 110-112 length chain or even longer but some of these come as 120 length, so I can shorten/lengthen as needed, correct? 

Have you guys used and happy with Primary Drive chains, I have not heard of them?

In order to remove the stock chain, I'll need a chain breaker, right? After removal, if I want to use this chain again, what type of master link should I use?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 5:19 am

you're not limited to Primary Drive - click that

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/48/77/226/1259/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/0/Chains

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks Moto. Just ordered all my stuff up,Primary Drive 520 ORH Gold X-Ring, spare master links and a 48 tooth rear sprocket. With all the choices out there and some things offered here and not there, it gets to be a little bit of a PIA. Thanks for your help. -G
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 am

I just thought about something that may be helpful to all the members here. As we know, new tech data has been submitted by Yamaha for the chain slack adjustment, which concerns using the stock setup: 13/43. How about starting a new thread with Chain slack measurements for "other than" stock chain/sprocket setups.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeah, another chain question   Yeah, another chain question Empty

Back to top Go down

Yeah, another chain question
Page 1 of 1