Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

wr250x will not start when the bike is hot

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
timmyooo

timmyooo

wr250x will not start when the bike is hot Empty
PostSubject: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:48 pm

i have a 2011 wr250x 3500miles past couple weeks been nothing but problems. Bike always starts up when i first get on it, when i get to where im going and its time to go home it wont start back up until it has cooled down completely, im talking a couple hrs. its about 90 degrees now so im not sure if its the weather? I just did a oil change with the suggeseted yamalube could it be the oil? Can it be the powercommander settings plugged in? fuel pump?
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:49 pm

has anyone had this problem and had it fixed?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 7:57 pm

It's not the temperature and it's not the oil.

What mods you got?

What's changed on your bike from stock?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:31 pm

I have graves exhaust power commander 5 k&n air filter
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 am

Check battery. You sure it's a fully charged and in tip-top shape?
Check battery connections. Make sure nothing is loose. Like ground wire.

Heat does make a battery struggle to do things.

When you turn on bike when it's hot, are you hearing the fuel pump prime?
Does bike crank and try to start, or is the whole thing just dead until it completely cools down.

Are you original owner of bike? Is it still under warranty?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 am

Battery voltage is good, all fuses are good. When the bike is hot I do not here the fuel injection noise the bike makes when you first turn the key to the on position. The bike will not even push start when it's hot.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 am

If you're not hearing fuel pump prime when bike is hot, that's indicative of a bad fuel pump.

Although, that's extremely rare on a 2011 model.

Is bike still under warranty?

I'm not saying a bad fuel pump is the problem, but that's what it sounds like from what you've posted.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm

i'm almost positive its the fuel pump. has anyone tried a aftermarket one? just wondering, being the original failed and i can save $$
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 am

Check out this thread. <-- clicky

Especially last few posts in it.

Might be an option for you. Very happy 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:19 am

It's the fuel pump. Known problem.

It wasn't just the 08 either.

I have a 08 without a fuel pump problem but i keep a spare fuel pump in my garage just in case.
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:32 am

I purchased a pump on eBay for $50 that fits into the stock housing I'll let you guys know how it works out
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 10:16 pm

timmyooo wrote:
I purchased a pump on eBay for $50 that fits into the stock housing I'll let you guys know how it works out

If it's not too much trouble would you do a pic tutorial of the fuel pump change?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 am

gatorfan wrote:
timmyooo wrote:

If it's not too much trouble would you do a pic tutorial of the fuel pump change?

This may help.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?101584-DIY-fuel-pump-replacement-wr250x&highlight=replace+fuel+pump
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 pm

^^^ Thank you sir.
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 10:41 pm

I went and changed my fuel pump today. My advice to anyone who is gonna go the route i did and just buy a pump instead of the whole fuel pump assembly with the housing from yamaha, is to remove your old one from the tank and the housing before purchasing a new one. I say this because i found it very difficult to remove the pump from the housing without breaking it, being its all plastic, and a pain in the ass to take apart. I did get it apart after a hour of prying at it with 4 screwdrivers:cheers: but i was surprised it didnt break at that point. Another problem i ran into was the new filter it came with was not the right one so i could have avoided this if i seen it before ordering it. (i just re-used old filter) Last problem i ran into was the retaining clip was way to big to hold the filter so i had ran to a local auto store and was able to get the size i needed.(old one broke when taking it off)

i'm not gonna lie, i was cursing that i didnt spend the $250 for the whole fuel pump assembly being it would be a 45min job tops.

I spent about 2 1/2hrs after fighting to get the pump housing open and running to the auto store and spent only $50 for the pump on ebay. After all was said and done i was glad i only spent the 50

Bike started up fine, new pump sounds a little different, a lot louder, i went out and beat the shit out of it for a 1/2hr, bike had no problem starting up after. i have a few pictures i took i will put up soon. I will let everyone know if this was for sure my problem being it did drop from mid 90s to 80s and the hot weather seemed to be a contribution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wr250x will not start when the bike is hot   wr250x will not start when the bike is hot Empty

Back to top Go down

wr250x will not start when the bike is hot
Page 1 of 1