Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

my 08 wr250x wont start

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
glavinlh

my 08 wr250x wont start Empty
PostSubject: my 08 wr250x wont start   my 08 wr250x wont start EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 am

first to start off is my battery is 100%

i turn my key on and everything primes and clicks like its suspose to. bikes in netual, but when i go and press the start button nothing happens starter rely doesnt click, nothing moves, but the check engine light comes on when the button is pressed (throws no codes) and the check engine light goes off the second i let go of the buttom, but i can get the bike started by bypassing the selinoid. any ideas or fixes?
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: my 08 wr250x wont start   my 08 wr250x wont start EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 5:02 am

Check fuses - if your horn works and your blinkers will blink then your fuses are probably ok.
After that you might try putting the side stand up and pulling in the clutch and then using the start button.
Then I'd be thinking relay, diode(s) or even wires (short/open).

When you say you bypassed the solenoid, I'm assuming you jumped power to the starter. The engine check light is behaving correctly which indicates that the start button works.
Back to top Go down
glavinlh

PostSubject: Re: my 08 wr250x wont start   my 08 wr250x wont start EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 5:34 am

went and messed with it, clutch and side stand switches bypassed. when i turn the key on and attempt to start the bike, the starter selinoid doesnt click, but when i start it bypassed then hit the kill switch and put the kill switch back and hit the start button the selinoid clicks, but doesnt attempt to start. i am starting to think its a relay but thats one thing i dont know how to test.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: my 08 wr250x wont start   my 08 wr250x wont start EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 8:55 am

I think you're hearing other relays click - fuel pump and start circuit relays. At this point I believe you'll get the same response from the bike if you just leave it in neutral with sidestand down and the clutch out.

The bike uses two relays to fire the starter - start circuit/start switch relay and the starter relay. Neutral or the combination of sidestand up and clutch pulled in enables the start switch relay. Then when you press the start button the ground signal from it goes through the start circuit relay which lights up the engine light and should also enable/click the start motor relay. The start motor relay gets power straight from the battery so if it clicks, the starter should fire.

To check the starter relay, disconnect it - the plug with 4 wires and the two large terminals. Be careful with the red wire from the large terminal - it's directly from the battery. Apply power to Brown and ground to Blue/White on the relay. At that point you should hear it click. To complete the procedure you need to measure resistance between the two large terminals while power is still applied to brown & blue/white - should have continuity/very low ohms reading. If that checks out, I'd remove power and then measure continuity of the black wire that came off one of the large terminals to the starter motor where you jumped power to start the bike. Basically just checking that that wire has good continuity.

Edit: wanted to clairfy that in the procedure above that power & ground are being applied to the relay. As in, don't apply the power to the plug with 4 wires that was disconnected from the relay.

If the above is good, then the diodes would be next on my list.
Back to top Go down
glavinlh

PostSubject: Re: my 08 wr250x wont start   my 08 wr250x wont start EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 4:34 am

how do i check diodes, everything else seems to be in order.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my 08 wr250x wont start   my 08 wr250x wont start Empty

Back to top Go down

my 08 wr250x wont start
Page 1 of 1