Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Long Road Trip Questions

Go down 
+5
raymondhenson
gatorfan
saddletramp
flydnb
Phoenix104
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Phoenix104

Phoenix104

Long Road Trip Questions Empty
PostSubject: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 6:39 am

So I've had this idea of riding from Seattle to Texas (~2500+ miles) some time next year (Jan/Feb/Mar) to visit my family. It's been years since I've seen them and I really want to just go down and surprise them all. And a road trip sounds like great fun too.

I know with it being a 250cc/vibrations/wind/distance/cold/rain... I'll get pretty beat up and I'm fine with that. But...

#1. Can the bike take that kind of long haul?
#2. Is it even a good idea to try? Pray 
#3. What kind of maintenance would I have to do Start/During/End of the trip?

I was thinking of just taking a change of clothes and some camera stuff. Then shipping the rest of my stuff to Texas, so I could keep added weight down to a minimum.

If all else fails, I've also thought about taking an Amtrak train down. Putting the bike in a cargo car and what not. Don't know if they will do that, but I'll look into it. I just really want to ride in Texas =) and scare surprise my Grand parents <3

[EDIT] I think I found an answer to my own questions XD http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm This guys my new hero! wings [EDIT]
Back to top Go down
flydnb

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 8:28 am

hi mate, well 2500 miles is a long way but the bike will handle it no probs at all, the main thing is will your arse, as it will be mostly road id imagine then invest in a new seat with some more padding I think seat concepts do one, I would leave the gearing completely stock because its fine for 70 mph cruising all day and that's it really, the vibrations etc you ask about are actually not bad at all at 70, I think doing up to 400 miles a day is possible, just check your oil as constant running at 70 might use a little it might not but keep an eye on it , if I was doing this journey I would do an oil change halfway just to show some love to the bike and check your chain but slab work wont really tax the chain much, and enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 8:15 pm

1. Yes. (I just did one to Newfoundland with that kind of mileage). No issues at all.
2. Yes, it is a great idea. Give yourself enough time to smell the roses so to speak as you travel. Talk to locals as much as you can.
3. Change oil before you leave. Check your tire pressure and chain tension. That's all.

Have fun and laugh at those fools who think they absolutely need 1800 cc to do a trip like that. (I can say that as I am a former owner of a couple 1800 cc Goldwings). Less is more.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Phoenix104 wrote:

#1. Can the bike take that kind of long haul?
The bike can. The only question is if you can.
Back to top Go down
raymondhenson

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:41 pm

It sure will. Enjoy the trip and don't bring a watch.

Best .... Raymond
Back to top Go down
Gruvey12

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 am

I just finished a ride from SoCal to Ohio and back last week on my 13WRR, 5000 miles in seven days. My bike is stock except for a seat concepts seat and IMS 3.1 gallon tank. I ran 85mph most of the trip and up to 99mph racing with other crazy's!
Back to top Go down
flydnb

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 am

Gruvey12 wrote:
I just finished a ride from SoCal to Ohio and back last week on my 13WRR, 5000 miles in seven days. My bike is stock except for a seat concepts seat and IMS 3.1 gallon tank. I ran 85mph most of the trip and up to 99mph racing with other crazy's!

85mph most of the 5000 mile ride what did you do about oil changes and usage ?
Back to top Go down
Gruvey12

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 3:08 pm

I changed the oil & filter before I left & again at my buddies house in Ohio 3 days & 2,600 miles later. I just changed it today a week after my trek back to California 2,700 hard miles later. Both oil changes revealed dark colored oil, but I usually change it pre-maturely after some hard weekend rides in SoCal, so maybe I'm simply use to seeing it drained before needed.
I oiled the chain before I left and oiled the chain again in Ohio and never needed an adjustment and still seems fine today. I installed Pirelli MT 90 scorpions for road use before I left, they provided a much smoother ride than the Knobby's. The front tire still looks new after returning but the rear tire is junk. I was disappointed in the rear tire as I was in Illinois on my way to Ohio and noticed all of the tread lugs were cracking around the base of the lugs. I made the entire trip with no tire failures luckily, But will not be purchasing these tires again.
I pushed the bike hard during this entire trip, several tanks of gas were road at six gear with the throttle twisted 100%. Depending on large hills and heavy wind I was running between 80 and 97 mph.
The key to the 250 on long trips is staying low and out of the wind, The bike will hold 80+ mph no problem at a small twist in the throttle if you are tucked, even in 40mph wind and heavy rain in (Iowa).
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 3:53 pm

I've taken 3 6600 mile trips on mine. Sitting at just over 43, 000 miles and going strong. Just change the oil and ride!
Back to top Go down
Gruvey12

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 4:51 pm

^thats what I like to hear!
Back to top Go down
JBEGNOCHE

PostSubject: mpg   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 12:30 am

Gruvey12 wrote:
I changed the oil & filter before I left & again at my buddies house in Ohio 3 days & 2,600 miles later. I just changed it today a week after my trek back to California 2,700 hard miles later. Both oil changes revealed dark colored oil, but I usually change it pre-maturely after some hard weekend rides in SoCal, so maybe I'm simply use to seeing it drained before needed.
I oiled the chain before I left and oiled the chain again in Ohio and never needed an adjustment and still seems fine today. I installed Pirelli MT 90 scorpions for road use before I left, they provided a much smoother ride than the Knobby's. The front tire still looks new after returning but the rear tire is junk. I was disappointed in the rear tire as I was in Illinois on my way to Ohio and noticed all of the tread lugs were cracking around the base of the lugs. I made the entire trip with no tire failures luckily, But will not be purchasing these tires again.
I pushed the bike hard during this entire trip, several tanks of gas were road at six gear with the throttle twisted 100%. Depending on large hills and heavy wind I was running between 80 and 97 mph.
The key to the 250 on long trips is staying low and out of the wind, The bike will hold 80+ mph no problem at a small twist in the throttle if you are tucked, even in 40mph wind and heavy rain in (Iowa).

GRUVEY12 What kind of milage numbers did you get on the trip?
Back to top Go down
Gruvey12

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:54 pm

On the trip I saw as low as 47mpg in nasty winds, running 6th gear wide open. I tried not to stop until my gas light would come on, usually 112-125miles with the IMS 3gallon tank. Still had 3/4 of a gallon left typically. Averaged around 55mpg at around 85mph. When riding around SoCal with my wife on her 13 CRF250L I have seen 78mpg out of a 120mile trip to Big Bear mountain, but that's just cruising 65-70mph. When riding solo I ride much harder and usually see 60+mpg. What kind of mileage you get?
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 8:44 am

I mgiht suggest a windshield to make the trip easier. There is an after market bracket for the wrr that's about $60. You can then clamp on any windshield that you can find will fit. Just drill some extra holes. I've got a givi windshield on mine. That should make the trip a lot easier.

I should add that your time of year could make the trip a little hazardous. You're likely to encounter snow and some very cold weather that time of year, especially in mountain passes. Better check your route and the weather carefully.
Back to top Go down
JBEGNOCHE

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:24 pm

I get 62-66 mpg in town. 55-60 on highway. I have original gearing but 6 ply knobbies front and back in WRX, I suppose that might explain a little. I have only broke 70 MPG with one tank of gas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Road Trip Questions   Long Road Trip Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Long Road Trip Questions
Page 1 of 1