Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?

Go down 
+5
LordEndo
bracky72
f1isbest
DragonNester
Wallrat
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallrat

Wallrat

Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? Empty
PostSubject: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 10:38 pm

I was a bit surprised when my skid didn't arrive with any rubber for the plate.  After installing it I was even more concerned.  As any XR400 owner will tell you, having a plate that lies flush to the frame rails will not only be noisy, but will cause premature rust of the frame because the skid rubs away the paint as it vibrates and then it traps water against the exposed steel.  I had a fairly significant frame fabrication/repair due to this on my old XR b/c the previous owner ran a plate like this.

Solution:  I used some 3/16" thick neoprene gasket material and cut 8 small rectangles.  Sprayed one side with spray adhesive and mounted them between the frame and the skid.  Vibration noise was eliminated, but more importantly, now water isn't going to sit against the frame.  

Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? IMG_2543

Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? IMG_2544
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 6:47 am

Good Job.  It takes a little more effort to wash out the mud, but, for the noise elimination alone, it's worth it to isolate the plate from the frame.  I had to with my Zeta plate.
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:43 am

I first installed mine without any rubber frame guards. Big mistake as the rattle was very bad. I purchased some adhesive rubber step material from Harbor freight and cut it to dimension. Works great and no rattle noise.
Back to top Go down
bracky72

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 am

A good solution is a pack of garden hose washers from Home Depot. They work excellent as vibration dampeners.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 1:52 am

Wrapped an old innertube around mine - no probs.
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 4:14 am

Wrapping the rails is most likely going to also lead to a rusted out frame. It's not something you'd think would happen just by adding a proper skid plate, but it does with any plate that hugs the frame closely. I had to graft in about 6" of steel tubing on my old XR when the frame rail rotted away. The vibration noise is annoying, but not terribly serious - the rust issue is the main concern.
Back to top Go down
andy3d

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 12:20 pm

This is a great tip. I cut pieces of inner tube and put it between all the metal on metal contact points and the sound problem is gone!
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 1:42 pm

I've had great results with high density foam weatherseal tape sandwiched between the skid plate and frame.  Been running it for about 1800 miles now.

Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? Foam10

Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? Wr250r12
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 8:43 pm

If you search this on this forum it has been brought up a lot, I just sprayed mine with black gravel guard inside and out, let it dry and bolted it up, works for me.
Back to top Go down
olyinaz

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
If you search this on this forum it has been brought up a lot, I just sprayed mine with black gravel guard inside and out, let it dry and bolted it up, works for me.

I think the key item this fellow brought up is that whatever we use, it really should not ride flush up against the frame rails. This causes contact abrasion and then also corrosion. I think his point is a valid one, and he backs it up by saying that he had to have one of his bikes repaired due to this corrosion issue.

Someone here suggested rubber hose gaskets between the frame and the plate in a few places, and I'm going to try that as it will also leave plenty of space for air etc. to circulate (and to wash/rinse things out). I'll report back, but one thing's for sure - I can't take the noise from the Flatlands skid plate as it comes. Egads it's terrible.

Oly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?   Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards? Empty

Back to top Go down

Flatland Skid Plate doesn't come with rubber frame guards?
Page 1 of 1