Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking for a new front tire.

Go down 
+3
bigg
RRM707
Dave003
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave003

Looking for a new front tire. Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 am

So Im still running the stock trailwings. The rear is done, and I have a Shinko 244 waiting patiently for me to stop being lazy and change it. After another trail ride today I think its time to just say goodbye to the front TW as well. My riding consists of a 5 mile ride to work, 20-40 miles of highway to trails usually once a week, and then ~40-60 miles of trails. So pretty much 100 miles of on road, 50 miles of off road a week. But completely disregarding that, I'm looking for a more aggressive tire. Id probably be looking more at a 40on/60off+ tire. My trail riding is out in the mountains in WA. So I get a mix of dirt, gravel, and loose rock. All of which at some point are at a steep grade. As far as on road, it rains here so wet pavement is inevitable. Now I'm not expecting phenomenal grip on the trails and be dragging my knee in the twisties. Was looking at something like the Pirelli MT21 possibly. I would also give something like the 50/50 Heidenau K60 Scout consideration. Kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum of what I would consider.
Back to top Go down
RRM707

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am

The MT21 is more dirt oriented, like 90% dirt-10% street. It would work great in the dirt,

but it sounds like you want something more street oriented. 100 miles of on road

weekly riding would wear it pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 pm

I've got the non-scout Heidenau K60's on and I'm very happy with them on the road. Great grip even in the wet (especially compared to the trailwings). Last long as well, I have 10,000 km on them and they are still going strong.

Off road they are rubbish in the mud (as you'd expect), as well as wet grass, soft sand. On rocky stuff or dry grass I found them to work very well. A lot also depends on the speed you want to go. probably not the best if you want to race through trails, I found that at over 80 km/h on gravelly stuff like in the picture below the rear starts to wobble. but below that they work well.

Looking for a new front tire. 20130910

To give you some idea of the terrain I ride in where I think they do very well

Looking for a new front tire. 20130911

Looking for a new front tire. Immag110
Back to top Go down
Dave003

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 4:19 pm

bigg wrote:
I've got the non-scout Heidenau K60's on and I'm very happy with them on the road. Great grip even in the wet (especially compared to the trailwings). Last long as well, I have 10,000 km on them and they are still going strong.

Off road they are rubbish in the mud (as you'd expect), as well as wet grass, soft sand. On rocky stuff or dry grass I found them to work very well. A lot also depends on the speed you want to go. probably not the best if you want to race through trails, I found that at over 80 km/h on gravelly stuff like in the picture below the rear starts to wobble. but below that they work well.

Looking for a new front tire. 20130910

To give you some idea of the terrain I ride in where I think they do very well

Looking for a new front tire. 20130911

Looking for a new front tire. Immag110
Terrain looks similar to what I encounter. Im leaning towards giving these a try. Since trail riding will probably be cut down drastically once it starts raining and snow starts falling in the mountains. I was considering just running the 244 and the TW till weather starts turning, and Id just have to tone id down a notch on the trails, and stick to a speed where the TW is comfortable. Then pick up a cheap set like the Shinko 705s to run during the winter, since my trail riding with be cut down. Once spring rolls around Id probably pick up a pair of Heidenaus.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 5:50 pm

I'd run a good working offroad tire up front, I dont mind running a crappy rear tire as sliding the rear around is fun and controlable.

Like the mt 21, dunlop 606, irc tr8(this ones very under rated and cheap), michlin t63 etc. You dont need full knobbies like mt 18s or other dot mx tires for dry rocky stuff.

I hate having the front slide around offroad because im running a long lasting good on the road tire, the more knobby tires work fine on the road they just wear faster but its worth it to me.
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Pirelli Scorpian   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 pm

I am installing the Pirelli Scorpian Pro all terrain/enduro front tire.
Back to top Go down
Gruvey12

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 1:45 am

Shinko 244 front 2.75x21 & Shinko 244 5.10x18 rear, instant improvement over the trailwings. Longer lasting than nearly any other tire and costs less than any tire out there. I got mine at Jcmotors.com for $79 for the pair. Spooned them on myself 1,500 miles ago & they still look new.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 pm

+1 on the Shinko 244.

For the cost it warrants a look to see if it does what you need it to do.

It I am riding in the woods with expected mud and slop I generally will run the MT21 front and D606 rear. But I have ridden the same in the 244's and while they don't bite as well in the muck they do a pretty decent job.

Right now I have my WRR set up with Shinko 705's since I use it to commute to work and the DS riding I generally take it on is relatively mild - FS and gravel roads which the 705's seem to do just fine on.

If the ride looks to be a knarely weekend adventure then I will opt for my Beta 520RR with the Scorpion XCMH tires or MT16s.

If I will be gone and camping on the bike then the WRR gets the nod and I will probably opt for the MT21/MT16/XCSM front and the 606 rear. If there will be some knarly stuff and pretty good stretches of blacktop I would probably grab the 244's then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new front tire.   Looking for a new front tire. Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new front tire.
Page 1 of 1