Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R

Go down 
+4
bigg
mvonhatten
GusinCA
Motonoob
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Motonoob

New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R Empty
PostSubject: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Hello,

I've been browsing and searching for bikes for months. I really would like to start on a dual Sport. I've been looking at the WR250R and the CRF250L as well as the Suzuki DRZ400 which no one seems to have. Everything I hear about this bike seems to be good. I saw it at the shop but didn't sit on it not sure if I was tall enough to mount it properly and ride it but, this was before I completed my MSF course. The thing is I weigh about 290lbs. Im not fat guy just a gym guy with off season weight. Would this bike be able to handle me? Or should I pick a different bike? Thanks guys for any help Very happy
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:28 pm

I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds. I consider the bike to be just right for me, maybe a tiny bit on the small/tall side.

It's not a fast bike anyway, and that's after I changed the sprocket and chain to give it better acceleration. At 290lbs, I don't know if you'll like it.

That said, it's about the best learning bike you can buy.
Back to top Go down
Motonoob

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 3:55 pm

GusinCA wrote:
I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds. I consider the bike to be just right for me, maybe a tiny bit on the small/tall side.

It's not a fast bike anyway, and that's after I changed the sprocket and chain to give it better acceleration. At 290lbs, I don't know if you'll like it.

That said, it's about the best learning bike you can buy.
That's good to know. Do you have any trouble getting up on the bike at 5foot10? Hard part of just starting out on bikes is that most of the starter bikes are 250's. When I took the MSF course the lil ol' TU250X I had didn't seem to have any problems hauling me around but we were only going slow anyway. The sales guy at the shop was trying to sell me a GSXR600 O_O
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:09 pm

The sales guy at the shop needs to have his boss talked to, for trying to sell a newbie on such a powerful bike. I've been riding for 34 years and that bike would elicit some crazy respect from me.

Anyway, yes, it's a bit tall. I lowered mine about an inch (which is easy to do with the stock setup) and I can get one foot flat and the other ball on the floor. Without lowering I could get both the balls of my feet on the ground, but one foot flat required the other foot to be on the peg. I have a 32 inch inseam.

I would DEFINITELY go with a dual-sport as your first bike, but maybe a used DRZ400 might fit you better.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:15 pm

In any event, I cannot, CANNOT highly recommend enough you taking a class like this one: motoventures.com

Learning to ride off road is the single most important thing you can possibly do to be a better rider on the street...
Back to top Go down
mvonhatten

mvonhatten

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 pm

With zero road experience:

Starting on dirt, learning balance, and shifting. That's a great way to go, and this is a great bike for a beginner because of the minimal maintenance.

If you want to mostly ride on the street, I would get a bike where you can put two feet flat on the ground. I am 5'9  185# and tip toe if I use both feet at stops.  I prefer leaning on my right foot at stops.

At 290lbs you will get sick (bored) of this bike, imho.  The good news is: you can turn around and sell it pretty quick as long as she stays intact.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:21 pm

why do you wanna get a Dual Sport? I think that's the most important question.

if you just want something to learn how to ride on, something you can drop without too much care, and something you don't plan on keeping for much longer than a few months, I'd say either of the 3 is fine. if you plan on actually keeping it and would like to do some off road, I'd probably take the DRZ 400 with your weight. the extra torque should be welcome. I weigh 170 and find the wr perfect, but when I ride 2 up with my sister (at which point we are about 290 together) the motor really does suffer imo.

maybe you should also look at something like the klr650? not as good off road but it would pull you along a lot better.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:05 pm

290 lbs? Go with the DRZ.
Back to top Go down
Checkswrecks

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Glad to hear that you went through the msf course.

First equip yourself. I tell noobs to buy a decent helmet that doesn't cripple them financially, to go on Craigslist for a m/c jacket with pads that stay on your elbows, buy some pants with knee guards, plus gloves and boots. You WILL fall down at some point and it's no biggie if you are ready for it.

The DRZ would be better for the torque that a guy your size needs. My son is not much smaller than you and started out on a KLR 650. For most folks the 650 would be a big bike, but at a husky 6'3" he looked like Jesus on a burro with anything smaller. The KLR fits a big guy well and isn't so powerful that you are going to get in trouble faster than a DRZ or WR.

And I don't recommend new for a first bike. You're going to drop it now & then, so starting out with low mileage & pre-existing minor scratches is fine. Take a friend who knows bikes - if not then pay a dealer's mechanic to do a pre-buy inspection.

Keep your head turning & enjoy!
Back to top Go down
hyperboarder

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Have you looked at the DR650? They're cheap and pretty damn reliable. Low seat height, you'd need to up the springs on both ends but they're a fine little bike and will probably keep you entertained longer.

Personally at 6'2", 180 lbs I love my WRR, it's nimble and a hoot to ride on and off road, but the DR certainly has more oomph down low. I jump on the VStrom if I want to get going a bit quicker.

TLDR: Buy 3 bikes Very happy.
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:01 am

The WR will be just fine!
I'm 6'2" and 210lbs and I get the bike up to 100 kmph on gravel roads keeping up to the guys on their KTMs. I also double with my wife on roads and we are well over 300lbs and have do trouble keeping up with traffic and leaving it in the dust when we are at the front of the pack. I have geared the bike down to 12 / 48 as the single track out here is tight, roots and steep ( also a trials rider ). The bike does hit the rev limiter at 120 kmph with the gearing I run, but for a new rider that should not be an issue. I also have a 14 for the front if I am going to be cruising on the roads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R   New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R Empty

Back to top Go down

New Motorcycle rider looking to start out on a WR250R
Page 1 of 1