Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

!st ride & review 2008 WRR

Go down 
+2
ejfranz1
4play
6 posters
AuthorMessage
4play

4play

!st ride & review 2008 WRR Empty
PostSubject: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 9:06 pm

I've wanted one of these since they came out & always talked myself into something else.
I picked up a 2008 Thursday with 2500 mi on it completely stock, spent a few hrs yesterday opening up the air box, & removing some other non essential pieces.
I've read every review I could find & the jest of them was it was geared ridiculously tall, it was heavy, underpowered, too tall. the tires sucked but the motor was smooth.

I rode just over two hundred miles today, more than half was hwy running 75-80 indicated,, some in town, & around 60 miles of rock, decomposed granite & some sand washes. My other bike is a heavily tweaked KTM & it's an animal. I had so much fun today I'm not sure if I need it anymore.

The stock tires I was planning to remove after today's ride, but they work surprisingly well & we got into a few nasty rocky technical hill climbs. Are these the tires they call "death wings?" maybe in mud? The rear is worn enough I will go ahead & mount an MT43 with tubliss, the front I may actually remount with tubliss.

The stock gearing felt pretty good, there was nothing I couldn't climb, on the road I did have to downshift to maintain an indicated 75 on some grades but so what? I'm thinking 14/49 or 50 gearing.

I have trouble believing this thing weighs 290 lbs, my KTM weighs the same but feels & rides 30lbs heavier.

Under powered, yeah a little but I had a ball today & there is something about riding a slower bike fast.

Tall? not for a dirtbike & where I ride I need the ground clearance.

Fun little bike..
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Congrats on the bike.
The trailwings have no traction in the mud.
Which ktm do you have as I am considering a 350 exc or free ride if they ever make it to Canada.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:00 pm

450XC, the. 350' are awesome singletrack machines and it's on my lottery list.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 pm

2nd and third ride cause me to decide to sell the KTM. The bike feels so much livlier uncorked. I went with a MT43 rear tire and 14/49 gearing and it does nazty singletrack just fine
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Nice review, I feel the same way about the bike and have no need for a better/higher maintence bike.

The stock tires are nick named death wings because they feel like they have tons of grip off road then slip n slide uncontrolably without warning.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 pm

4play wrote:
2nd and third ride cause me to decide to sell the KTM. The bike feels so much livlier uncorked.

Am I understanding you correctly. You sold the XC450 which you called a "monster" in favor of the "livlier" R2?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:56 am

I use tireballs in my tires, but I do 99% off road riding. Tubliss looked interesting, but still had a single point of failure which I didn't like.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 pm

gatorfan wrote:
4play wrote:
2nd and third ride cause me to decide to sell the KTM. The bike feels so much livlier uncorked.

Am I understanding you correctly. You sold the XC450 which you called a "monster"  in favor of the "livlier" R2?

The 450 I had bored & stroked etc, etc, etc to 600cc's, it's brother dyno'd at 74rwhp.
That was the MONSTER I was referring to.

My comment was about how much livelier the 250 was uncorked compared to when it was dead stock, not that it was livelier than the KTM.
I did not buy the R2 to replace the KTM, but after a few rides & over 1500 miles now I did sell the KTM.
Back to top Go down
slvdirtrider

PostSubject: front forks?   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 9:45 am

4play wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
4play wrote:

Am I understanding you correctly. You sold the XC450 which you called a "monster"  in favor of the "livlier" R2?

The 450 I had bored & stroked etc, etc, etc to 600cc's, it's brother dyno'd at 74rwhp.
That was the MONSTER I was referring to.

My comment was about how much livelier the 250 was uncorked compared to when it was dead stock, not that it was livelier than the KTM.
I did not buy the R2 to replace the KTM, but after a few rides & over 1500 miles now I did sell the KTM.

I am going the have a set of front forks for sale, they have been revealed and gone over at go-race suspension . I did an upgrade and the won't fit anymore.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 8:58 pm

I've put just over 2,000 miles mostly off road on the bike & after today's really gnarly single track I am convinced this is the best single track capable dual sport on the planet. 14/49 gearing will climb anything, going any lower just waste the overdrive that makes the hwy capability so amazing. I'm on my second MT43 rear tire, keep in mind I ride really rocky off road stuff so 1700 miles on a rear tire here is AWESOME.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: !st ride & review 2008 WRR   !st ride & review 2008 WRR Empty

Back to top Go down

!st ride & review 2008 WRR
Page 1 of 1