Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DPete

DPete

Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank Empty
PostSubject: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 2:20 pm

Bought a new 13' WRR and the dealer installed a new 3 gal IMS tank before delivery ( fit is awesome by the way) Trouble is the bike won't start or run right once warm. Starts and runs good when cold. Had to put the stock tank back on for now. Only thing we can think of is the original tank (steel) has a insulation blanket on the bottom and the IMS doesn't and the engine heat is vapor locking the fuel system. Has anybody else had this happen?? It's a Calif. emission bike. Dealer is contacting IMS next week, any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
paramud

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 2:33 pm

You have the vent cap on?
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 4:33 pm

paramud wrote:
You have the vent cap on?
Yep and even ran it without a cap at idle, same thing after it's operating temp
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 am

Probably has something to do with the evap canister on the front of the CA bikes. Not sure myself, never had an issue nor really looked at a CA bike.
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 5:06 pm

skierd wrote:
Probably has something to do with the evap canister on the front of the CA bikes.  Not sure myself, never had an issue nor really looked at a CA bike.
I bet Calif. emissions is the cause somehow, will post the outcome, looking forward to getting the tank back on for the extra gallon
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 1:02 pm

I have the same tank on my 2010, with no issues. But I also removed the CA emissions canister beforehand (so I could fit a thick aluminum bashplate).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 5:14 pm

DPete wrote:
skierd wrote:
Probably has something to do with the evap canister on the front of the CA bikes.  Not sure myself, never had an issue nor really looked at a CA bike.
I bet Calif. emissions is the cause somehow,  will post the outcome, looking forward to getting the tank back on for the extra gallon

Yup, take that crap off and all will be good!
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: IMS and California Emissions works for me.    Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 11:45 pm

I have a 2012 California WR250R.  I added the 3.0 gal IMS tank at 2 months old and 6,000 miles.  I hooked it up to the stock California emissions system.  My tank cap vent (as directed) is routed to the canister.  No issues at all.  22,000 miles on the bike.

You can simulate removing the California emissions by plugging the tube going to the canister and opening up the tank cap vent.  Keep in mind you will spill gas if you dump the bike until you put a one-way vent on it.

If the dealer incorrectly installed the IMS tank and left the emissions system "open" rather than routing it to the gas cap vent (or incorrectly disconnected it down below), it will pull more air making it lean and a hard start when hot  (when cold, the engine management system adds extra fuel).    You can't just open up that emmissions line and leave it disconnected it needs to be plugged or properly routed back into the tank through the cap (any split or hole in that line will do the same thing).  

Hope this helps . . . . . . . .
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 11:32 am

Otter wrote:

If the dealer incorrectly installed the IMS tank and left the emissions system "open" rather than routing it to the gas cap vent (or incorrectly disconnected it down below), it will pull more air making it lean and a hard start when hot   . . . . . . . .
Hmmm, this sounds just like it ran, what could they have done wrong at the bottom of the cap vent tube? I assume it goes to the rollover valve but I never saw the instructions or the installation. They ordered another tank and it is in route. Maybe they skipped the rollover valve and went straight to the canister. I will ask
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm

For the normal 3.0 IMS upgrade install, the original Yamaha vent line that goes into the bottom of the stock fuel tank is disconnected.  It is replaced with a longer line that wraps around the front of the new IMS tank and is attached to the vent hole in the new IMS fuel tank.  The IMS tank does not have a built in internal vent line like the stock tank.  As for what happened down at the canister, I didn't take anything down there apart so I don't really know.  

(The object of all this stuff is for the activated carbon in the canister to collect hydrocarbons whenever there is expansion in the fuel tank rather than leaking them out into the atmosphere.  When the engine runs,  a metered amount of air is pulled through the carbon, picking up the unburnt hydrocarbons and feeding them into the intake manifold where they are burned up during normal combustion.)

To be honest, unless there was a big air leak in the tank (which I doubt) I would not think that the tank could be the cause. Hopefully during the reinstall they will hook everything up right and your done.
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am

Got it this time, they put the Yam insulation blanket on the bottom of the IMS tank, I think they must have hooked the line up wrong the first time, anyway the tank is on  Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank   Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank Empty

Back to top Go down

Trouble with IMS 3 gal. tank
Page 1 of 1