Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

fmf programmer /hard to start warm

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tmate

fmf programmer /hard to start warm Empty
PostSubject: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 pm

Installed an fmf programmer today. Have it set @ 3 2 .5 8 4 4. It has a gytr muffler and a megabomb header. My problem is that it does not like to restart warm(shut off and try to restart right away). A pain when you stall on the trail.
Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 5:19 am

tmate wrote:
Installed an fmf programmer today. Have it set @ 3 2 .5 8 4 4. It has a gytr muffler and a megabomb header. My problem is that it does not like to restart warm(shut off and try to restart right away). A pain when you stall on the trail.
Any suggestions?

Are you saying this is something new since you installed programmer?
Or has the starting problem been an on-going thing?
Was it hard to start before you installed programmer is what I'm asking.

When you stall, then try to start bike are you hearing the fuel pump prime?
Are you turning the key off, then turning it back on again, or just stabbing at the starter button and hoping for the best?
What's your "restart" procedure when the problem arises?

Also - what year bike? What have you done with intake/airbox side of equation?

Side note - 5th number needs to be a six or higher or you may have some issues. This is a well known thing with FmF programmers and the wr250r/x platform.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
tmate

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Only with the programmer. Yes the pump primes. I have cycled the key and just hit the starter button. Like stated, only changes are header and muffler. Air box is stock . I will try the 6 or higher to see if anything changes. The bike is much stronger feeling than before that's for sure.

I know I will be gearing down for sure as it is used mostly for the trail. My kids(8-10-12) got me back into bikes again. They are all new to riding so our speed is all over the place as they are all progressing at different paces. Fun.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 8:03 pm

tmate wrote:
Installed an fmf programmer today.
My problem is that it does not like to restart warm (shut off and try to restart right away).
A pain when you stall on the trail.
Any suggestions?

FWIW...
Even my bone stock 2014 WRR (which runs like a clock) does not like hot re-starts.
The FMF programmer box you installed is probably (um, most certainly) making the fuel delivery richer across the board. And a rich A/F ratio on a hot-start is the worst situation you could possibly have.

Before you get too involved with re-mapping and such, try this...
Next time you're riding the bike and you know it is fully heated up, shut it down (or stall it as if you were on a trail) and then do a hot re-start, but as you hit the starter button make sure you have the throttle cracked open about a good 1/4 to 1/3 turn.
(It allows fresh air to flow sooner into the stalled (O2 starved) cylinder)
Soon as she starts let go of the throttle (obviously) so you don't scream the engine.

I think you'll find that by doing this (with some practice) you'll be able to re-start hot and get on your way again with very little drama.
It's a quick & free experiment.
Give it a try!  thumb 
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
tmate

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 9:34 pm

I am aware of that starting procedure as I use it now when hot, but it doesn't work. It wants to start with no throttle but doesn't. If I unplug the programmer it starts instantly. taking my son riding tomorrow(possibly a snow run) so I will see how it does.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:07 pm

tmate wrote:
If I unplug the programmer it starts instantly.
taking my son riding tomorrow(possibly a snow run) so I will see how it does.

Understood.
When time permits, post here and let us know how the ride went.
Enjoy the snow run.
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 am

Sound like your bike is running too rich. You might need to open up the airbox, to balance it out. Think of it as a vacuum cleaner and you're blocking the nozzle and it's starving to breathe.
A K&N airfilter helps the bike breathe better, as does opening up that airbox. I just did the Ultimate Airbox Mod, and it was easier to do than it sounded, but others have opened it up by removing the airbox door or drilling holes in the airbox lid. I wouldn't as it would be much easier for water to get in there.
Back to top Go down
tmate

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Well the ride was great. No rain or snow. Son did great on his new to him TTR110. The WR seemed to start easier up there, so maybe it's a little lean. When I get around to the airbox mod, I will fine tune it from there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fmf programmer /hard to start warm   fmf programmer /hard to start warm Empty

Back to top Go down

fmf programmer /hard to start warm
Page 1 of 1