Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware

Go down 
+3
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
Chadx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chadx

Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware Empty
PostSubject: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 7:07 pm

OK, this little beast has something like 350 watts of juice to offer @5,000 rpm. Who is running what for heated gloves/jackets and what is your hardware setup?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Hot grips, Gears vest and a seat heater. cheers

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 3:03 am

SheWolf wrote:
Hot grips, Gears vest and a seat heater. cheers

YOu could have just invited me to ride with ya and saved the money >;3
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 11:00 am

Yeah but your ass takes up the whole damned seat. Very happy

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 11:59 am

SheWolf wrote:
Yeah but your ass takes up the whole damned seat. Very happy

You could sit on my lap then >;3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 5:43 am

Anyone have advice on what wires to splice to power aux systems (gps, hot grips etc)?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 9:58 am

Well, my seat and grips were spliced into the magneto wire, so I only have power to the units when the bike is running. Fused them both, with switches. The vest I hooked up to the battery, because the cord to it has a switch on it, and I also use the plug end off of the battery to run my air compressor and anything else I need juice for. thumb

zrider

PostSubject: Jackets and vests?   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 3:53 pm

What are good jackets and vests for both enduros and daily commuting is Northwest rain?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 7:50 pm

I like my Gears vest because the collar is heated. All I wear is a thin cotton long sleeved shirt under that, my Yamaha Enduro jacket over that, and I stay pretty toasty. thumb

BluePill

PostSubject: Warm Gear Gloves   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 12:23 am

I have been using "Warm Gear" electric glove LINERS this winter. They fit inside whatever gloves you like to use, but you need to go up a size if your regular gloves fit snugly. I'm glad that I chose the liners, because I had good slide on the pavement that tore up my left hand glove. Now I only need to replace the regular gloves.

The liners keep me warm at 25 degrees F. and 60 mph with medium weight over gloves. Each liner uses 15 watts and will get quite warm above 40 degrees. They sell a temperature controller for $69, but I just unplug if it gets too hot or switch to light weight outer gloves. The connectors are very good quality "co-axial" type (like the connectors for laptop computer power) with enough grip to stay connected, but will release if you take a spill.

I also found that wearing shin and knee guards under my bib pants helps keep those areas warmer (as well as the crash protection).
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 4:40 pm

I did mine the hard way with a relay and a fuse box and in the process discovered the easy way
Get a Bosch relay that has 2 x 12v output's (look close because some have 2 connections but only 1 provides 12v whan triggered), Fuse the 12v to the relay and you will have 2 fused 12v circuit's to use for whatever you like, Shewolf did her bike this way, you can see her post on it
if you need more than 2 you can put a double connector on one of the wires, remember you only have about 3 - 4 amps spare power
I put a set of Symtec tape style hot grip's on my bike and I cant believe how warm they get, I get cold hand's real easy and I cant even keep these on Low for more than 10 minutes, I like these thing's as they dont use a Ballast resistor for low, they have a dual element, easy and clean install
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:41 pm

Yeah, see...I was told I couldn't get them without the damned ballast. baldy I would have gone ahead with ones like yours, but I was told it was either the ones I have, or the whole bloody grip. dunno

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:52 pm

Older Aerostich electric vest here; non-windproof model. Works well.

I have a cigarette lighter mounted to my bars and the wiring for that is run straight to battery, with an SAE (2 wire flat) connector installed about 4 inches from the cigarette lighter and which the cigarette lighter is plugged into with a matching SAE connector. To use heated gear, or a charger, or air compressor, you just unplug the cig lighter and plug in the accessory.

I also have a headlight "off" switch to conserve power so as to maximize the heat put out by the heated vest, but on the WR I think that may not be needed due to the massive alternator output.

This is on the KLX but the WR has the exact same setup. You can see the SAE plug above and to the left of the RAM ball.

Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware KLX250SParts003
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware   Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware Empty

Back to top Go down

Electric gloves/jackets and associated hardware
Page 1 of 1