Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
born2ride88

born2ride88

WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper Empty
PostSubject: WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper   WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 am

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm a [somewhat] new WRR Owner, going on 2.5 months now. I have literally fallen in love with the thing- I've already logged over 3700 miles, riding anywhere and everywhere, from OHV parks and trails, a road trip to Michigan's upper peninsula (about 550 miles one way) to my daily commute. What an awesome machine.

I like seeing things to their full potential, so I snapped and recently bought the Q4, Megabomb, and FMF Power Programmer.  wink Finally got to installing it yesterday, but I read on here that opening up the exhaust does nothing without opening up the intake-- so I bought the Uni Hi-Flo air filter, removed the entire AIS System, used a little bit of epoxy to glue down the flapper, and took a hole saw and drilled a 1.5" hole on top of the air box. We ended up spending a good 6 hours on it. I'm still waiting on my EXUP Servo Emulator in the mail- the cables are currently just hanging loose until we can get the servo removed without flipping the CEL.

So we get everything mounted and done, start the bike so we can begin programming the FMF module, and it starts emitting thick smoke from the exhaust pipe! It was running perfect before mods- we didn't tear into the engine itself and I just had Yamaha give it the once over to check for any issues, so I don't think it's the engine... That, and the smoke did not smell like burning oil or gasoline... almost like a burning solvent. I did some homework and went out to give it another test in the daylight today, and now the bike wont even start. It turns over, but backfires and wont catch at all.

For that reason, I thought perhaps the high temp silicone we used on the pipe wasn't high-temp enough and that it was burning off. (It was rated to 700 degrees?) We used it on the Exhaust Manifold and the joint between the header/ muffler, and I did allow 24 hours for it to cure. But the smoking started within 1 minute of starting her up, I can't imagine it being hot enough to cause that.

Another idea would be that in the process of removing the AIS System and taping off all the open connections, we bumped something or forgot to tape something off. We fashioned a small block off plate out of .2" thick aluminum to screw into the small AIS manifold near the exhaust, and used electrical tape to tape electrical connections and air hoses as we went. Is it even possible that the AIS could have caused the smoking out of the exhaust?

The only other thing we could think of would be that by disabling the flapper and EXUP system, it is now causing an issue with the ECU calculating the proper back pressure/ air fuel ratio- resulting in the thick smoke, backfiring, and now the inability to start. dunno In retrospect, we really should only have modded one thing at a time, but I'm here and now I've got to nut up and deal with it. I'm not much of a mechanic but I really love and take pride in my WRR. I hope it's not too serious.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper   WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 8:12 am

Not trying to make you feel bad or freak you out, but I went from fully stock to fully modded in one shot and I had no problems.

That said, is it possible you over oiled the air filter? FWIW, I went with a oil-less K&N filter.

I don't remember taping off any air hoses though.... scratch Maybe I'm just getting old.
The vacuum pump hose I just looped back onto itself.
Back to top Go down
Prime

Prime

PostSubject: Re: WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper   WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 9:26 am

It sounds like something is burning or melting. I would start with removing the exhaust and taking a look.

Also, when you cut the air box, did any of the cut plastic fall into the box (and into the engine)?

Start reversing what you did, and let us know when you find the issue. Good luck! I doubt it's your motor.
Back to top Go down
born2ride88

born2ride88

PostSubject: Re: WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper   WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Well folks, like I said I'm no mechanic. But my dad is. So we went outside to take a look at the bike this morning- first thing he notices? The air filter had wayyyy too much oil! Filter oil literally pooling in the bottom!

Turns out it had fouled the plug, so we pulled it out to take a look. It was definitely wet and a little bit out of spec, so we shortened the gap a little and scrubbed it with a wire brush. Then we cleaned the box and (properly) oiled the filter. Put it back together, hit the button and she started right up.

I dodged a bullet and now the bike runs great. Got her programmed running 3.5-2.5-1-8-4-4. Long story short- don't go overboard oiling your air filter when the tech at Yamaha says it's a little bit too dry. poser2
Back to top Go down
DreadlockJames

DreadlockJames

PostSubject: Re: WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper   WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 6:07 am

And also never take your bike to the dealership / "Yamaha tech"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper   WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR Wont Start After Q4, Megabomb, Programmer, AIS & Flapper
Page 1 of 1