Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Electrical problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
nu_b

nu_b

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Electrical problem   Electrical problem EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Bike's been sitting in the garage for the past couple months as I recover from a back injury, and the battery's been hooked up to a charge keeper. Yesterday, I went to start it for the first time. Unplugged it from the battery keeper, put the key in and turned it, heard the fuel pump whir to life, hit the starter button and everything died. I checked all the fuses including the ones in the block inside the left cowl and on the positive battery wire.

If I leave the battery connected to the 1.5a keeper and turn the key, at least the instrument panel comes to life for half a second. Otherwise, I get no power anywhere.

I'm at a loss, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem   Electrical problem EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 1:35 pm

nu_b wrote:
and the battery's been hooked up to a charge keeper.

What's a "charge keeper"?
Can you supply a link to a web page showing us exactly what you mean? Or take a picture and post it?

I'm guessing the battery slowly drained into the "keeper".

For a bike sitting a long time, especially over the winter when it's cold, you need to keep battery on a "battery tender".

I have original 2008 battery in my X.

I use one of these every winter: http://batterytender.com/

Any time my bike sits for more than 4 or 5 days without being started I hook it up to the tender.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
nu_b

nu_b

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem   Electrical problem EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 2:07 pm

Keeper or tender. Same thing just different words
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem   Electrical problem EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 3:14 pm

nu_b wrote:
Keeper or tender. Same thing just different words

If they're the "same thing" then yours is defective, or perhaps it wasn't plugged in/connected correctly.

I'm still betting your problem is a dead battery.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
nu_b

nu_b

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem   Electrical problem EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 4:50 pm

I appreciate your input, but I doubt it's a dead battery, which I just measured at 12.9v at the terminals with a voltmeter after being off the keeper/tender/minder/charger all afternoon.

Last edited by nu_b on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nu_b

nu_b

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem   Electrical problem EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 5:15 pm

It looks like you may be right ... Just put the voltmeter to it again and it's reading <10a :(

What puzzles me is I still get absolutely nothing even when it shows 12a+ at the terminals.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem   Electrical problem EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 am

Being EFI and all - these bikes are notoriously finicky about needing a good battery.

It does not take much of a drop in voltage before the wr250r/x simply won't start.

I googled "charge keeper" and the only thing I found was related to boats and watercraft.

The "Battery Tender" is designed specifically for motorcycles.

It's possible your "charge keeper" just wasn't the proper device for long term maintenance of a motorcycle battery. Might work okay in short term, but not for long term storage.  dunno

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Electrical problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical problem   Electrical problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Electrical problem
Page 1 of 1