Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kjharn

kjharn

Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?   Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey guys,

I've got a problem that's stumping me. A few days ago after changing the angle of my Protaper handlebars, I noticed that if I had the bike running and turned the handlebars all the way to the left, the engine would cut out and would not turn on again until I turned the bars back to the right. I didn't have time to fiddle with it, so I rode to work with it like that. Then today, I wanted to figure out the problem. I noticed that the cable coming from the red engine run/kill switch was out of the black cradle and getting pinched when the bars turned all the way to the left. I put it back in the cradle and it no longer stretches when I turned to the left. Now, however, it doesn't turn on barely ever. If I turn the handlebars side to side, I get a clicking sound (like a switch turning on and off) from the rear of the bike... It's coming from around the battery, or one of those housings around the battery. Sometimes when I do this the exup engine spins (took the cover off and removed the cables since I have full FMF exhaust), and sometimes the fuel pump primes and I can fire the bike, but it turns off when I pull the clutch in sometimes, or also when I turn the handlebars to the left... Makes no sense to me.

For reference, these are the mods I've done to my bike:

FMF Powercore Exhaust
FMF Megabomb Header
FMF Fuel Programmer

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?   Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Update:

Figured out what the problem is. It is the red on/off switch cable. If I put my fingers around the cable where it runs by the steering head along the frame and pull towards the back of the bike, it starts effortlessly. While its running, if I pull towards the FRONT of the bike, it dies immediately. I tried relocating my handguard, tried zip tieing the cable to keep it slack, but it still dies if I turn the handlebars to the left.

I'm thinking that wherever this cable plugs into is probably loose, so when it tightens up it pulls out of the socket, then connects again when I have the bars centered. Anyone know where this cable runs? I can follow it to a housing by the fuel tank, then I lose it.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?   Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Have you downloaded the e-service manual? I have it posted for anyone who wants it; it might show you what you're looking for.

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?   Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 2:13 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Have you downloaded the e-service manual? I have it posted for anyone who wants it; it might show you what you're looking for.

Yes, thanks. Didn't think to check it.

There just wasn't enough slack. I remedied the situation by moving the start button to the center of the handlebars. Suspect

Ghetto, but oh well, it works.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?   Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem? EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 4:25 pm

OK I found my problem this morning.Went to get it out, parked it outside the shop. Put the key in and she fired right up. Went to get on it, and it dies. it would run as long as the handle bars were at right or left lock. But died when move to the straight position. Took basicly everything off her and everything ws checking fine. Wiggle the wires and she dies.

Finally noticed one wire terminal where the controll wiring goesinto the harness (behind the radiator) protruding out a tad . Pushed it back into it's socket..... WE BE CURED! I cant make it die now.......Oh LORDY!.....THANK YOU JESUS!.......... WE BE RUNNING AGAIN!

Please the forgive the outburst. But this was gonna be the first ride after breaking my leg back in JULY. And I was not a happy camper. Having this slow me down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?   Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem? Empty

Back to top Go down

Weird electrical/possible fuel pump problem?
Page 1 of 1