Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it. help!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bucktuckerman

bucktuckerman

Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it.  help! Empty
PostSubject: Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it. help!   Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it.  help! EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 11:26 am

SPECS/MODS

2018 WR250R
FMF Powerbomb/ EJK Fuel Controller (installed by mechanic)
DRC Fender Eliminator/ DRC 602 LED turn signals front/rear (installed by me)
12oClockLabs Turn Signal Running Light Adapter

WHAT HAPPENED

Was riding off road. Dropped bike (at a standstill). Stopped slipped in some mud. Bike fell on LEFT side. Rode (offroad) for another 45 min with no issues. Got back to parking lot, turned bike off, filled tires with air. When I went to leave, I turned the key, I heard the fuel pump start but the display was completely off. Ignition button didn’t work, headlight light worked but no turn signals. I push started it and rode home. When I got back, I tried the turn signals and the high beam(blue) and turn signal (green) indicators on the display were BOTH blinking but the turn signals did not.

WHAT I DO TRY AND FIX IT

I checked all the harnesses from behind the headlight to under the seat.

One of the ground wires (black) for DRC rear turn signal was loose. I re-soldered it. The #4 Ignition Fuse was blown and I replaced it. Once I did that the display came back and the bike was able to be started. Here is where it gets weird.
The LEFT FRONT turn signal stays on but the RIGHT FRONT does not. LEFT FRONT turn signal works but the right does not. I tried switching the wires and the lights are NOT blown. If I disconnect BOTH harnesses (under the seat) for the front turn signals and the tail light harness its the same.

Clearly there is a short somewhere but I have no idea where else to look. I tried jiggling wires and harnesses (front and rear) to see if anything caused the light to flicker but nothing…. I went for a ride and nothing changed. The rear turn signals/break light etc work fine.

Help!

Regards,

Buck
Back to top Go down
Monica

PostSubject: Re: Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it. help!   Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it.  help! EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Hmm, well you're on the right track by tracing all the wiring and fuses in circuits. Do you have a service manual to access the troubleshooting charts or wiring diagrams?

What part of the bike took the impact of hitting the mud? Might narrow down where to look for connections that need cleaning/fixing/reseating.

You've checked wires/connections behind the headlight and at the tail and under the seat so that's good. (I wouldn't let that area off the hook just yet though)

. If I were you I'd also:

- Left handlebar switch - remove, disassemble & clean. Possible the blinker rocker contact is dirty.
- Turn signal relay - remove/clean and test the turn signal relay. Could be a dirty contact or malfunctioning.
- check turn signal relay wire, right side of frame behind the radiator. Connection could have pulled away a little to break contact or gotten dirty.

To get into the weeds, I'd check the continuity and resistance of each component, from the connector to load. Do that all the way down the line.

To be extra thorough, remove/clean and reseat your battery connections and main/power fuse connections behind the left cover.

Back to top Go down
bucktuckerman

bucktuckerman

PostSubject: Re: Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it. help!   Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it.  help! EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 6:36 am

Thank you Monica,

I'd say the left side panel and shroud hit the mud. But as i said, I was basically standing still so the "impact" was pretty minor. Still, I plan on following your suggestions. Yes, I have the manual(s).

Regards,

Buck
Back to top Go down
Starpower

PostSubject: Re: Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it. help!   Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it.  help! EmptySat Aug 15, 2020 10:45 am

I would remove the 12 o'clock and see if that is the culprit. If not, run a jumper wire from the turn signal switch contact direct to the signal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it. help!   Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it.  help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange electrical problem (short) can't locate it. help!
Page 1 of 1