Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Remove 2up footpegs

Go down 
+9
OOk
Jus42
toast
WRRSam
jpkrass
dirtytrixx400
skierd
boogn1sh
bash3r
13 posters
AuthorMessage
bash3r

bash3r

Remove 2up footpegs Empty
PostSubject: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 1:49 pm

Yea yea , there's 4 hex bolts to remove, so I got the left side off no prob but the right!!!!! Man those two bolts will not budge! Twisted up 2 T-handle hex wrenches already, so anyone have some tricks to help loosen this dumb thing up to get it out of my way!! grrrr

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Everyone has the same story. One side pops right off, the other side is tough. Several guys have resorted to a grinder.
First I stripped the head so I used a little heat and an impact wrench and had no further problems.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 4:38 pm

I ended up drilling the heads off on mine. Remove 2up footpegs 490865 They're stuck in there with red loctite if I remember right, same with the rear sprocket bolts (which I also ended up grinding off Remove 2up footpegs 490865 Remove 2up footpegs 490865 ).
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 4:48 pm

dooods.. :)

guess I know what I'll be doing one night this week!

ALSO...just ordered Wolfman Enduro tank bag, Cycra handgards/side mount,
Ricochet skid plate from Dual Sport Armory and used the discount.. woot!

Next I'm looking for boots, Gaerne Balance are at the top of the list now...
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 6:12 pm

same for mine,except it was green loc-tite on mine. i used a 3/8 air impact and socket type wrench...zipped right out.

also a 1/2" air impact wrench is the easiest way to remove the c/s sprocket nut also....i think it was a 27mm socket.
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Do I need air tools now, too!!

Dangit!
Back to top Go down
jpkrass

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I took mine to my friends garage, and he had a hell of a time getting the things off even with his air tool. Finally the little bitch started to move and come loose. I had those things striped so bad.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 am

bash3r wrote:
Do I need air tools now, too!!

Dangit!

lol...yep and a good air compressor too.
it just all depends on how much of a do-it yourself type of a person you are or want to be.
collecting tools is a lifetime thing. Remove 2up footpegs 61865
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 3:50 am

I ended up using a hammer and chisel.
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 4:00 am

wow.. i don't wanna jack anything up, its still so new Remove 2up footpegs 93746 , i guess i'll pull the dremel and grinder out and go at it. Man that sucks to spend so much time on stupid rear pegs!
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 am

bash3r wrote:
wow.. i don't wanna jack anything up, its still so new Remove 2up footpegs 93746 , i guess i'll pull the dremel and grinder out and go at it. Man that sucks to spend so much time on stupid rear pegs!
It was only 2 bolts that I wrecked. It took quite a lot of force to turn them even with the hammer. The removal off both pegs takes 0.85kg off. Very happy
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 5:23 am

its more they seem like they get in the way, than the weight for me. esp. the right one, leaning back the back of your calf hits it.. annoying..
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:47 am

You need to get allen key sockets and take some heat to them with a heatgun. Mine came right out, no air tools, just a quick twist with a 3/8" driver.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Heat is the key. The Red or any type of thread locker requires heat for softening to aid in removal...
Back to top Go down
Jus42

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 6:19 pm

left side easy, right side- killed 2 allen wrenches. Finally after I stripped the heck out of the insides I went and borrowed an allen key socket, hammered it in and use a large driver. That worked.
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Ok.. i'm gonna take the heat gun to it and see if that gets it hot enough to loosen. yeah, i broke one hex wrench on it and twisted a couple more... Remove 2up footpegs 986936
Back to top Go down
OOk

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 1:31 am

bash3r wrote:
Ok.. i'm gonna take the heat gun to it and see if that gets it hot enough to loosen. yeah, i broke one hex wrench on it and twisted a couple more... Remove 2up footpegs 986936

Just get a set of allen keys for your socket wrench. What you need is leverage and torque, T-Handles don't give you enough.
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 9:21 am

toast wrote:
You need to get allen key sockets and take some heat to them with a heatgun. Mine came right out, no air tools, just a quick twist with a 3/8" driver.

Yep, sockets and 3/8" driver are the key. One side was on tighter than the other on mine, but both sides twisted off without any drama. T allens flex too much. You need a solid connection there. And make sure you push in on the socket as you turn so it stays seated or it will back out and slip, stripping it. A little heat wouldn't hurt, but again, I had no problem breaking mine free with just the socket and driver (I went straight for that after hearing everyone elses problems getting them out).
Back to top Go down
OOk

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Ya, if I remember correctly the left/clutch side pegs took A LOT more effort to get off. It was like the right side was installed with blue thread lock and the left side with RED!
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Chadx wrote:
toast wrote:

Yep, sockets and 3/8" driver are the key. One side was on tighter than the other on mine, but both sides twisted off without any drama. T allens flex too much. You need a solid connection there. And make sure you push in on the socket as you turn so it stays seated or it will back out and slip, stripping it. A little heat wouldn't hurt, but again, I had no problem breaking mine free with just the socket and driver (I went straight for that after hearing everyone elses problems getting them out).

+1 No problem here using those tools Remove 2up footpegs 61865
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 11:48 pm

Woohooo! Got the right one off finally. I took my heat gun to it and a hex socket for one of the bolts, the other.. well you can see my dremel work on it.

Heat is the key, looks like green loctite to me, but man this one took a lot even after heating it up!

Remove 2up footpegs 3927350323_c743090a60

I'm so happy now... but my wife was like "now where do I put my feet?" Remove 2up footpegs 986936 ummm.. lol
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 8:22 pm

Odd, I used an allen key with about a 12" "breaker" made from the crossbrace of an old handlebar that I sawed off; the bolts required some grunting but weren't any trouble.
Back to top Go down
MrZ32

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 3:33 am

i kept mine... left side for the stand up wheelies and the right one for crash protection for the zorst... why remove em if they can be so useful Remove 2up footpegs 89954
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remove 2up footpegs   Remove 2up footpegs Empty

Back to top Go down

Remove 2up footpegs
Page 1 of 1