Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

stock tires vs. 17" knobbies

Go down 
+10
router.exe
bhmax
PonchoV
28marcb
3KGT_Maddness
LPB
inspector
marty
tblumer
rydnseek
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
router.exe

router.exe

stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 am

17x3 is equal to a 110 I think. I need to fiind the conversion chart again
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 am

http://www.weeksmotorcycle.com/tire-size-conversion-chart.html
Back to top Go down
28marcb

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 am

According to that chart we should be running 150/80 or 150/90 to accomodate our 4 inch rim size...I just bought a kenda in a 5.10x17 which translates into a 130/90 by the chart. Is anyone else running this size on a STOCK x rear wheel or am I going to have to lace a 3.0 inch rim up? scratch dunno
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:03 am

28marcb wrote:
According to that chart we should be running 150/80 or 150/90 to accomodate our 4 inch rim size...I just bought a kenda in a 5.10x17 which translates into a 130/90 by the chart. Is anyone else running this size on a STOCK x rear wheel or am I going to have to lace a 3.0 inch rim up? scratch dunno

I think everyone who is running knobbies on their x is using the 130's on the back & 120's on the front. They have to flare out a bit, but they work. The tube seems to hold the tire in place, & the sidewalls are stiff enough it doesn't flex.. even at lowered tire pressures.

These are on the stock rims that came with the x. I'm sure this is not the optimal set up.. but the tires do fit, & they work. I've put over 3k miles in some pretty gnarly terrain, and high speed pavement. It does work. A lot of folks have put them on their sm's.. not just the wrx.

Router:
I have those exact tires on order. They will be my next set when the mt21's wear out. I'm happy with the mt21's, just like to try different things. plus the mt21's went way up everywhere.. about $100 per tire. I can get both shinko's for about $80 shipped!
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:05 pm

if you want a 21 cheep,i put a link in the mod section, the X will take a rm wheel. did the whole thing for 120$
Back to top Go down
28marcb

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:07 pm

rydnseek wrote:
28marcb wrote:

I think everyone who is running knobbies on their x is using the 130's on the back & 120's on the front. They have to flare out a bit, but they work. The tube seems to hold the tire in place, & the sidewalls are stiff enough it doesn't flex.. even at lowered tire pressures.

These are on the stock rims that came with the x. I'm sure this is not the optimal set up.. but the tires do fit, & they work. I've put over 3k miles in some pretty gnarly terrain, and high speed pavement. It does work. A lot of folks have put them on their sm's.. not just the wrx.

Router:
I have those exact tires on order. They will be my next set when the mt21's wear out. I'm happy with the mt21's, just like to try different things. plus the mt21's went way up everywhere.. about $100 per tire. I can get both shinko's for about $80 shipped!
thumb cool that really eases my mind...
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Does anyone tried the Pirelli mt60 Corsa ?
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Dancamp wrote:
Does anyone tried the Pirelli mt60 Corsa ?

rear is too big. only comes in a 160. biggest you should sensibly run is 150/70 for a motard tire.

http://www.swmototires.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=156&Itemid=53

i have scorpion syncs, which come in a 150, and there's enough room to be safe. running the 160, you run a really high risk of it rubbing the chain.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:36 pm

The 140/80 -17 is to high ?
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Dancamp wrote:
The 140/80 -17 is to high ?

160/60 is too wide.

there is no 140/80 in the mt-60 corsa at least not that i can find
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:43 pm

router.exe wrote:
160/60 is too wide.

Here it is.

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/tyres-catalog/moto-on_off_road-enduro_street/en_IT/MT%2060%20RS%20CORSA/default.page
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Dancamp wrote:
router.exe wrote:
160/60 is too wide.

Here it is.

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/tyres-catalog/moto-on_off_road-enduro_street/en_IT/MT%2060%20RS%20CORSA/default.page

oh RS corsa. i haven't found those for sale. i do remember seeing those. 140/80 should fit just fine. i think that's the stock size anyway?
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 pm

I would like to have some feed back on them before buying if possible.

If not I'll be the one to give the feed back.

It looks like they are expensive. But if they last and are a good compromise for road and offroad I'm really interested.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm also considering the TKC80. If anyone has information on fitment for 17inches rims.

They are available at these sizes: 120/90 17 and 130/80/17.

Since I can get 10000kms from them on my Weestrom , I guess it would be better on the WR.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: this may help   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 4:42 pm

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/WheelTab.htm
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Dancamp wrote:
I'm also considering the TKC80. If anyone has information on fitment for 17inches rims.

They are available at these sizes: 120/90 17 and 130/80/17.

Since I can get 10000kms from them on my Weestrom , I guess it would be better on the WR.

i would venture to say all knobby fitment will be close to similar, with there being some exception such as use of dirt tire instead of DS tire. tkc 80 isn't a very tall or aggressive tread.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:25 am

For long travel on asphalt to go to the trail, the TKC will better resist than the MT21.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 am

The tkc80 is very much like the Karoo T. Both are heavy duty knobbies designed for heavy bikes & hyway use.

I used the KarooTs on my DL650 for a good 4,500 miles. The bike was loaded w/ camping equipment & I was on a cross country tour doing off road rides at every chance.
I would think such a strong tire would yeild better milage but I just would not spend that kind of $ on one tire, plus I would have to use a tube so a tubeless tire would not have any advantage.
It would be interesting to see just how many miles can be ran out on these expensive tires but not on my x & not from my wallet.

Just to many good tires out there for 1/3 the cost of a "Karoo T"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:29 pm

dtx wrote:
if you want a 21 cheep,i put a link in the mod section, the X will take a rm wheel. did the whole thing for 120$

Hows that set up working? 21 front and 17 rear?
Back to top Go down
dustcloud

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 pm

21 front and 17 rear is the setup I would like to try simply bcuz I'm cheap. haha. Anyone have any feedback on this setup?
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

I do and the only thing I'm starting to realize is that it might have an effect on performance.

Since the 17" sm wheel is large, the tire that fits it is heavier than an mx tire of a smaller width would weight.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 9:26 am

Surfer-X wrote:
dtx wrote:

didnt use a 17 rear,had an 18 built.

also want to add http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=CS
for the cold weather guys !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 pm

dtx wrote:
Surfer-X wrote:
dtx wrote:

didnt use a 17 rear,had an 18 built.

also want to add http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=CS
for the cold weather guys !!

Can't find the link in "Mod Section" (for the RM front rim set up). Can you repost? lurk

Those studded snow tires look gnarly! poser2
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:38 pm

I might be wrong Rob, but I think this is what he was talking about. Cheap wheel build.

PostSubject: Re: stock tires vs. 17" knobbies   stock tires vs. 17" knobbies - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

stock tires vs. 17" knobbies
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2