Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??

Go down 
+6
PYG RYDR
deerHater
usgpru27
motokid
YZEtc
Knightshade
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Knightshade

New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? Empty
PostSubject: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 10:31 pm

I just picked up my new (to me) 08 X the other day and the PO put on a Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier on the front and a D208 SM on the rear. They're both tubeless tires, but he stated that he didn't do anything to seal the spokes.

The rear needs to be replaced anyways, but my real question is:

What should my immediate concerns be?

Back to top Go down
Knightshade

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 12:12 am

really? Nobody has any input?

I've searched through threads, and can't find any real info on what I'm asking....which is...why I'm asking.

Tires are stock size.

I guess my real question should be something along the lines of:

What is the likelihood that there are actually tubes in there and is that within itself something to worry about?

Or.

Are there people on here who have also run tubeless tires, w/o tubes and w/o sealing the spokes that haven't had any issues?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 5:03 am

Knightshade wrote:

I guess my real question should be something along the lines of:

What is the likelihood that there are actually tubes in there and is that within itself something to worry about?

It is extremely likely there are tubes in there because that's how the WR-250X rolls off the dealer's showroom:
Tubeless tires with tubes holding the air.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 am

There have been threads about people asking same questions and having same concerns.
Which may be why you didn't get "immediate" response.

I'd bet you have tubes if you have spokes.

There are some "systems" people have worked out for sealing spokes so they can go tubeless.

I don't think most view the risk/work involved as something worth trying.

You can patch a tube too. Most people are not crazy enough to plug tires.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 8:55 am

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 10:46 am

motokid wrote:
Why lookie here: amazing what using the search feature can accomplish <-- clicky

Yet another warm welcome.. Well done..
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 am

motokid wrote:
Depends on the puncture. I have no problems plugging a small puncture in the tread block.
I've run two tires that way, plugged, total about 8K kms. I know at least a dozen others who have done similarly.

As long as you know what punctures can be safely plugged, and you know what you're doing, no problem.

Last edited by deerHater on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 pm

motokid wrote:
Why lookie here: amazing what using the search feature can accomplish <-- clicky

At some point or another, we are all new to this forum and may not know the topics already covered or how to use the search feature.

Instead of the negative sarcasm, how about just referring to the search feature or refer to a related thread or be quiet?

Just sayin'

Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Quote :
What is the likelihood that there are actually tubes in there ... ?
Check for a valve stem. Don't confuse a valve stem with a possible bead lock bolt (a gal on TT tried to check her air pressure and kept getting 0 psi cause she was checking the bead lock bolt Rolling Eyes ).
Back to top Go down
Knightshade

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 3:19 am

motokid wrote:

What is really amazing, is that not only did you pretty much label yourself as a jerk, but your lmgtfy type response didn't actually answer any of the questions that I posed.

Which is why I asked in the first place.

Post count, contrary to popular belief, does not make you a know it all.

To everyone else, thanks for your input. It is appreciated. Here's hoping to more positive contributions from others, as well as myself in the future.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 am

motokid wrote:
There have been threads about people asking same questions and having same concerns.
Which may be why you didn't get "immediate" response.

I'd bet you have tubes if you have spokes.

There are some "systems" people have worked out for sealing spokes so they can go tubeless.

I don't think most view the risk/work involved as something worth trying.

Seems to me motokid gave you a good answer and followed up with a reference to the thread. Instead of thanking him you call him a jerk. I don't know what chat rooms you are use to using but that attitude is not what this forum is all about.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 11:39 am

I tried an experiment with tubeless tires.. sealing the spoke nipples, wrapping & latexing a cut tube to the inside of the rim. It held for a while, but it blew off the rim in some twisty pavement. I cleared out all the stuff, & went back to the simple tube. No problems since.

I think if both tube & rim are made for tubeless, it would be ok. I don't think making up the tubeless system is really worth it. A simple tube doesn't add much weight, & has years of functional history behind it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Damn....hahahahahhaaaaaaa..... poser2

I'll have to try to remember to load up on some sensitivity next time I provide some ASSistance.....I thought motorcycle riders had thicker skin.

Some people obviously can't take some light-hearted amazon

Sorry if I hurt anybodies feelings. Good riding weather can't come soon enough.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Whoa there everybody - calm down & NO MORE DISRESPECT!! deal

My 2pence worth:
I bought my X a year ago. At my first tyre ('tire' to you guys on the other side of the pond...) change last April, I shopped around for a replacement BT090, as the front was still good & I wanted a matching pair. All the websites I looked at had the X tyre listed as a BT090 'G'. Apparently the 'G' is WR250X specific, as it is specifically made as a tubed tyre,as opposed to the regular BT090, which is designed for a tubeless fitment. The 'G' version is lighter, as it is not mechanically airtight & therefore has a slightly different structure, although same tread pattern, compound & dimensions as the regular tyre. Unfortunately Bridgestone did not have any 'G' versions in the UK at all, & didn't expect any stock, as the BT090 is now superseded by the BT003..... Anyway, the tubeless (regular) BT090 was (& still is) available in 140/70/17 size. I have emails from Bridgestone UK stating that the regular tubeless tyre is ABSOLUTELY FINE on the WR250X WITH TUBE! My old CB250 had spoked wheels/tubes.tubeless tyres, & it was never a problem.

Just make sure your tyres have plenty of tread, are not damaged, & have the correct pressure. Drive slow at first & PRACTICE!!!! If your not 100% sure about tyres, GO TO TYRE SHOP IMMEDIATELY!!!!

No worries!!!! freaky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??   New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns?? Empty

Back to top Go down

New X - Tubeless tires on stock rims, concerns??
Page 1 of 1