Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Why do stock tires suck?

Go down 
+2
trav72
mordicai
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mordicai

Why do stock tires suck? Empty
PostSubject: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am

I read a lot of posts that the stock Bridgestone's on the x suck. I'm wearing mine out pretty fast now and starting to look at replacements but I have very little experience with street tires. To me, my stock tires seem to do a good job, but hey, I don't know squat! Can anyone educate me?
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 am

I don't think they suck at all. I've railed this little bike with my knee down in the corners and they've provided plenty of grip. Are they as good as Pilot Powers? No I don't think so. But they don't suck.
Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 am

They aren't horrible, but they do slide a little, but still predictable. You really have to let them warm up to get decent traction, and try running less pressure. Running BT003RS right now, they are much better, and supposed to replace the 090's.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 12:50 am

Suck cause they wear out in under 1500 miles.................thats my only complaint Shog
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 am

little squirt wrote:
Suck cause they wear out in under 1500 miles.................thats my only complaint Shog
What kind of milage do you think you are going to get with your 150/60 rear sm tire?
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Stock tire   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 7:54 am

What do you make your roads out of Lava Rock? I'ver got 2300 miles and just starting to show wear. Lots of high speed road stuff.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:34 am

Tires are a very personal choice.

Regardless of what tire was initially put on any motorcycle, many people would end up complaining about them and then
putting something else on as quickly as they felt was possible.

They try to strike a balance between longer life, and ridability.

I don't think Yamaha made a horrendous choice for the X, it just wasn't what I wanted.

The stock tires were adequate for what they were.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 9:17 am

Although I bought my WR-250X used and the tires were well-worn, I didn't think they were terrible.
I could see somebody putting another set of BT090s on once the originals wore out.

Myself, I feel that at least some of the riders out there will automatically claim the stock tires suck, no matter what they are or no matter what the bike, for that matter.

Also, I can easily see somebody wearing down the stock rear tire in 1,500 miles of use - what was left of my original BT090 when I got the bike didn't last too long at all.
All it takes is plenty of hard acelleration, braking, etc.
Even worse, the stock Dunlop D208SM tires that come on my 2009 Suzuki DR-Z400SM were down to the rear wear bars by 1,300 miles.
I bought another D208SM rear because the front was still decent, and that one went 1,300 miles, again.
Six weeks of street use, in fact.

Michelin Pilot Powers last longer and grip much better, so those tires are really something else. :)
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 am

YZEtc wrote:

Michelin Pilot Powers last longer and grip much better, so those tires are really something else. :)

Yep, I've run PP's on all my street bikes. I think the standard power should last a good while on the X. However, they don't on higher HP street bikes. I run the 2ct's on those bikes.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 6:44 pm

My distanzias are holding up great, i have almost 3k miles on them and they are about 1/2 life now thumb

there are some lava rock roads Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do stock tires suck?   Why do stock tires suck? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do stock tires suck?
Page 1 of 1