Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front Brake Rotor Question

Go down 
+2
motokid
craigq
6 posters
AuthorMessage
craigq

craigq

Front Brake Rotor Question Empty
PostSubject: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 4:59 pm

I think this is my first bike with a floating rotor, so bear with me. Should the rotor have a little bit of play back and forth in the rotational axis (not side-to-side)? I get a small noise when locking the front brake and pushing down on the forks, that is not present when not locking the front brake. I took a look at the rotor, grabbed it and it can rotate ever so slightly front to back.

Thanks for any assistance!

Hmmm... after doing some reading it looks like this is what is supposed to happen, allowing for heat expansion between disimilar metals etc. Has anyone else noticed this?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 5:32 pm

I am not aware that the WR comes with a "floating rotor".

I checked my 2008 wr250x and it does not have a floating rotor.

Did you buy your bike brand new or get a used one?

If everything is stock I'd be surprised to find out you have a floating rotor.

I checked the Yamaha web site on the 2010 real quick and saw nothing about floating rotor.

Quote :
Wave brake rotors front and rear, including a large, 298mm front
disc, reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance.
Rear pedal is forged aluminum.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Cojones_WR

Cojones_WR

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 am

craigq wrote:
Hmmm... after doing some reading it looks like this is what is supposed to happen, allowing for heat expansion between disimilar metals etc. Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't noticed any noises or play on my R², but this is also my 1st dualsport with a floating rotor. I shall have to pay attention on the ride to work, tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 5:22 am

motokid wrote:
I am not aware that the WR comes with a "floating rotor".

I checked my 2008 wr250x and it does not have a floating rotor.

Did you buy your bike brand new or get a used one?

If everything is stock I'd be surprised to find out you have a floating rotor.

I checked the Yamaha web site on the 2010 real quick and saw nothing about floating rotor.

Quote :
Wave brake rotors front and rear, including a large, 298mm front
disc, reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance.
Rear pedal is forged aluminum.

Yes, floating front rotor:
From the yamaha-motor.ca website:
Quote :
Brakes (Front) 250 mm floating disc

Google results for a floating rotor: See how the rotor is two-piece, with button rivets holding the outer steel disc to the black coloured carrier? Now go look at your front rotor Front Brake Rotor Question 61865

Front Brake Rotor Question 183mm-hope-floating-rotor
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 8:03 am

That back-and-forth play is how thay are.

It's not supposed to be so loose that it seems the rotor might fall off just by touching it with your fingers, but the play you see and feel by rocking the bike with the front brake applied is normal. :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 10:58 am

I concur... Front Brake Rotor Question 163123
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 am

There is no play, no wiggle, no nothing with my front rotor.

I understand what floating rotors are.

I get that ours are two piece rotors.

However, mine is as rigid as any single piece rotor I've ever felt.

Mine does not appear to "float" at all. Front Brake Rotor Question 29721

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 am

...which is good but the design is called a "Floating Rotor" design because the rotor can "float" or move vertically or horizontally in relation to the rotor hub mounting area. This is achieved by the use of enlarged, round, mounting bearings. Yours may be tighter than others but it really depends on the wear of the parts and how much you use your front brakes...
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 am

I could be wrong but......part of the hangup is I like to think of ours as semi-floating. There are other designs that to me are floating that have more move to them.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 8:03 pm

inspector wrote:
I could be wrong but......part of the hangup is I like to think of ours as semi-floating. There are other designs that to me are floating that have more move to them.

From what I've been reading I think you're right, semi-floating. True floating rotors are apparently supposed to be a bit noisier...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 am

Mine has never made any noise...well, with the excpetion of having mud rammed in it, but that goes without saying. Front Brake Rotor Question 61865 As for play, mine doesn't move much, but it certainly stops on a dime.

PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Rotor Question   Front Brake Rotor Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Front Brake Rotor Question
Page 1 of 1