Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight

Go down 
+6
brokeagain
hjorth73
camaroz1985
dmmcd
sanluissound
EnduroDoctor
10 posters
AuthorMessage
EnduroDoctor

EnduroDoctor

Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight Empty
PostSubject: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 1:42 pm

I have done several searches and poured over the wiring diagram and I haven't found any reference to these connectors.

The bike is a 2008 WR250R

Does anyone know what these connectors are for?

Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight WR250Connectors_zps63251dd8
Back to top Go down
EnduroDoctor

EnduroDoctor

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 1:47 pm

The blue wires are hot when the key is turned on.
If I remove the "signal" fuse, the power to them goes away.

I haven't checked the brown as yet, but I am going to.

The black/yellow wires are a mystery. The wiring diagram makes me think they might be a "switched ground" or a "monitored ground".... just a guess.

Any help would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
sanluissound

PostSubject: WR250R odd wiring...   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 am

I poked around behind the headlight/mask and found no such connectors on my '08. I did not completely remove the assembly - though I did last year to add new turn signals and I don't recall seeing what you've got.

I'm guessing there were some accessories on your bike at some point (presuming you are not the original owner). Possibly LED lights, GPS power… heated grips?

Those connectors do not look like a Yamaha WRR standard issue connector. The lead dress looks a little short for a factory job as well…

Go further. If you're still stuck I'll pull my headlight assembly. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 8:30 am

I don't recognize those connectors, but the brown and blue wires are the turn signal wires. The blue is for the running lights on the stock turn signal. I used that to trigger a relay for my accessory panel, since it is on whenever the key is on. I am pretty sure the black/yellow is originally to the clutch switch.

I am assuming you are not the original owner. The previous owner may have added these connectors for some sort of accessory or to bypass the clutch switch.

PS: Here is a pretty good color coded wiring diagram (may need to zoom in):

Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight WR250RX%20Wiring%20Diagram
Back to top Go down
EnduroDoctor

EnduroDoctor

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for the annotated wiring diagram. I wish Yamaha would have done the original like that. It makes it easier to troubleshoot.

I am not the original owner, so it could be possible someone added the connectors.

I have found that the blue and the brown are both switched on when the key is on. They are fed by the "signal" fuse.
The black/yellow wires appear to be grounds. I think it would be difficult to find this wire color and pattern anywhere else. It matches the original wires exactly.

I will dig a little deeper into the harness, but so far they "look" factory. The outer cover doesn't look like it has been disturbed, but I will check further.

It is very interesting that these are not on your bikes. Thanks again for taking the time to look and respond!
Back to top Go down
EnduroDoctor

EnduroDoctor

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 12:47 pm

The brown and blue wires look common.

I have never seen the black with yellow bands before. It doesn't look like a common wire color.
This is the first time I have seen this type of striping.
Back to top Go down
EnduroDoctor

EnduroDoctor

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 5:16 pm

I did some further digging around the harness and I believe these connectors are original.

It has a build date of Jan. 2008

.....very strange that other WR250R's don't have them.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: I was wrong...   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Well, I admit it. I was wrong. I was riding home today and glanced down behind the headlight and saw them.

I pulled the shroud and they were there, taped together. They look like they are capped, so I am not sure if they are for other accessories that our bikes don't have or what.

Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight 20140709_213516
Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight 20140709_213430
Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight 20140709_213447

Blue and brown are definitely connected to the turn signals. Not sure where the other one goes.
Back to top Go down
EnduroDoctor

EnduroDoctor

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks for the update.
I was beginning to think I was missing something.

Maybe someone who knows will read this....
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 5:18 pm

I wonder if the Euro or Asian spec bikes have a hazard (4 way) switch that these plugs go to.
Back to top Go down
EnduroDoctor

EnduroDoctor

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 6:34 pm

camaroz1985 wrote:
I wonder if the Euro or Asian spec bikes have a hazard (4 way) switch that these plugs go to.

A good thought, but I don't think this would be the case since the left or right turn signal wires (dark brown or dark green) are not in the connectors.
I wonder if any accessory (like heated grips) describes connection to them.
Back to top Go down
hjorth73

PostSubject: Euro model   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 9:41 am

Hi
I have a euro model, I live in Denmark.
I have those connectors as well, and they are not in use.
Was thinking I would find a little rubber plug to cover them, and tape them back on.
Back to top Go down
brokeagain

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 2:50 pm

I just got around to checking these out, I wanted to see what I might be able to do with them.

Each of the two blue and brown are 12V when the bike is switched on. As mentioned before, they run through the signal fuse (I did not personally pull that fuse to test this).

The three black wires in the other connector are indeed grounds. Multimeter reads 12V when placed between the wires on the blue/brown connector to these wires (yes, I'm brave), as they do when grounding them to the steel reflector bracket on the forks. They do not read 12V when grounded to the bracket.

I'd like to be able to identify the connectors' "other half". One of the connectors has "E11" molded in it, the other has "E15", through they appear to be the same type of connector. It'd be nice to see what we could do with these in terms of a clean way to hook up some switched power up in that area.

Back to top Go down
stevep84

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 2:37 am

I checked mine this afternoon (Aus delivered, 07 build). Good news is I have 2 connectors. Bad news is they are slightly different.
I have the same black connector but it has 3 brown wires and I have white connector that has 5 black wires. 2 or 3 of which have the yellow stripes.
Not sure on powering, I didn't get that carried away.

Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight 20150210_154051
Back to top Go down
phendy

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 1:32 am

I was working on my WRR today and found those two connectors. I am in Australia and mine were the same as stevep84. Given I had a multimeter I checked what they did. The white connector has 5 identical grounds (the plug actually connected them together) and the black 4 pin plug only had power when the key was switched on.

I found this thread because I was looking for the other end to the connectors so that I can power my accessories (hand warmers and phone charger) off these plugs to avoid having to cut into wires. I would be best to have accessories connected to a power source that switches with the bike power.

Does anyone know what the connect type is?
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 11:33 pm

factory Diag tool connection? maybe a portable dealer scan tool of some sorts plugs into it?
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight EmptyWed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 am

Its just a plug that connects the ground. You can solder wires to it for powering other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight   Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight Empty

Back to top Go down

Auxillary Power connectors at the headlight
Page 1 of 1