Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain Slider Replacement

Go down 
+2
GT-250
paramud
6 posters
AuthorMessage
paramud

Chain Slider Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Chain Slider Replacement   Chain Slider Replacement EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 2:26 am

From the looks of it, It seems that I have to remove the swingarm to replace the slider? Just want to verify before I did into it.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Chain Slider Replacement   Chain Slider Replacement EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 3:37 am

The swing arm doesn't require removal to R&R the slider. Refer to W/shop manual if you can - or if you have a close look you will see that it's a very simple process to replace the slider.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chain Slider Replacement   Chain Slider Replacement EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 8:09 am

paramud wrote:
From the looks of it, It seems that I have to remove the swingarm to replace the slider? Just want to verify before I did into it.

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One bolt. And I think I may have disconnected the spring on the side stand.

That's it. Old one slides off new one slides in. Let me see if I can find the thread where I posted pictures.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7535-10000-miles-on-stock-yamaha-chain-slider?highlight=slider  <-- clicky

motokid wrote:

The slider is captured by one bolt. I did remove the side stand bolts (2 of them) and swing that out of the way.
It's a 15 minute exercise that might give you better piece of mind or save you some real heart-ache.

Look at how they're constructed. No need to remove swingarm.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Chain Slider Replacement   Chain Slider Replacement EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 pm

paramud wrote:
I should probably look at the service manual first, but...

I just take off the retaining bolt, remove the back wheel ('cause I'm usually doing a chain/sprocket replacement at the same time anyways), tug the old sucker out of there and shove the new one in.  I don't think it is the proper way Yamaha says to do it, but it ain't that hard either. I'm not going to go through pulling the swingarm or other parts when it isn't necessary.

On the other hand, if you didn't replace the seal guard (why did they call it that, anyways?) soon enough... maybe you need to take the swing arm off anyways to do some JB Weld repairs...
Back to top Go down
bugslayer

bugslayer

PostSubject: Re: Chain Slider Replacement   Chain Slider Replacement EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 10:14 pm

I just did this for the first time. Super easy. One bolt through the slider (aka seal guard) and two to move the kickstand out of the way then the old slider just comes out and the new one goes in. Three bolts go back in--I used blue locktite on them. Done deal.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Chain Slider Replacement   Chain Slider Replacement EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 pm

+1 -- Absolutely no need to take off swing arm (but not a bad idea if maintenance is due).

Definitely take the few extra minutes to remove the side stand. Makes job much easier.

Don't forget to inspect underside of swing arm while slider is off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain Slider Replacement   Chain Slider Replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain Slider Replacement
Page 1 of 1