Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Swing arm chain slider warranted?

Go down 
+2
bigg
Blackdog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Blackdog

Blackdog

Swing arm chain slider warranted? Empty
PostSubject: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:57 pm

I have 3,500 miles on my bike and the chain slider needs to be replaced. Is that part a warrantee item? Bike is only a year old. I'd ask the dealer but their closed on Monday.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Did you change gearing? Dealer probably isn't gonna like it if you did and then ask for a new slider dunno

Although I have a hard time seeing how, even if you left stock gearing, the slider is under warranty. That's like asking to get free brake pads while under warranty... pretty sure it just counts as a wearable part.

however if I were you I would still go to the dealer and ask. mine is a pretty cool dude and he might give you a slider for free considering you just dished out significant cash for a new bike not too long ago, or give you a cheap deal. but again I wouldn't count on it unless he's a cool dude or you know him really well.

I will eat my digital words and stand corrected if it actually is under warranty, but have a hard time imagining that right now freaky
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm

I would bet lots-o-money it's not a warranted part.

It's a wear item. Designed to protect swingarm.

Excessive wear is a sign of chain tension issues. Issues that fall squarely on your shoulders.

Either your chain is too loose, or it's too tight.

I got almost 10,000 miles out of my slider.

Where is most of the wear on your slider? Under-side, or on top?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Chain Adjustment <-- clicky

page 2 - down near the bottom - see diagram provided by Shewolf. thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 am

FWIW I just bought a new chain slider for $50.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 am

P/N: 3D7-22151-00-00

Google search it. Seeing prices in low-ish to mid $30 range up into the $40 range.

Depending on shipping.....buy some other farkles and get free shipping.... thumb

click me <--- thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 pm

gatorfan wrote:
FWIW I just bought a new chain slider for $50.

I just bought 2 at Cheap Cycle Parts for $35 each.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 am

Just put a new one on at 14,700 miles. It had another 3-4000 left in it. YOUR CHAIN IS NOT ADJUSTED CORRECTLY.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 11:11 pm

mordicai wrote:
Just put a new one on at 14,700 miles. It had another 3-4000 left in it. YOUR CHAIN IS NOT ADJUSTED CORRECTLY.

Chain has always been adjusted per owners manual.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 am

Blackdog wrote:
mordicai wrote:

What gearing are you running?

You can push up on the underside of chain about half way between ends of swingarm and come within about a half inch of the chain touching swingarm?

Are you sure nothing is lodged in the metal chain-guide back near the rear sprocket? (happened to your friend jager Shog )

Can you post pictures of your original slider after you removed it?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm

motokid wrote:
Blackdog wrote:
mordicai wrote:

What gearing are you running?

You can push up on the underside of chain about half way between ends of swingarm and come within about a half inch of the chain touching swingarm?

Are you sure nothing is lodged in the metal chain-guide back near the rear sprocket? (happened to your friend jager Shog )

Can you post pictures of your original slider after you removed it?

Stock gears. The slider is still operational but its worn enough to get my attention. Yep, push up on the chain and measure the distance.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm

When I did mine, I did the chain and sprockets at the same time. Went to a 14 tooth front and a bigger rear to get me back close to stock gearing. Bought me lots of clearance and chain tension is no longer mission critical. The bike shoulda been like that from the factory IMO. They shouldn't have designed it where chain tension needs to be perfect to avoid premature wear...

Anyhow, mine was dragging bare metal at 10k miles with the stock gearing. I had been adjusting the chain every oil change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing arm chain slider warranted?   Swing arm chain slider warranted? Empty

Back to top Go down

Swing arm chain slider warranted?
Page 1 of 1