Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New member, long time rider

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
50short

New member, long time rider Empty
PostSubject: New member, long time rider   New member, long time rider EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello all! My name is Patrick and I am gearing up (saving money) to buy a new WRR. Not sure when I'll be able to make it happen though as money is tight. So for now I'm just gonna hang out here with you folks and try to learn as much as I can. Choosing this bike as my next adventure touring machine has been a long, drawn-out process. I've been riding ADV bikes and enduros for over thirty years, mostly Yamahas, with a big BMW GS and a couple KLRs thrown in for variety.

Why did I land on the WRR? For starters, I'm 6'6" and the ergos are ideal. The bike satisfies my lightweight / small displacement requirement while still maintaining good road manners, interstate speed and touring ability.

Riding heavier ADV bikes more suited to long haul travel caused me to pass by lots of great trails and miss some great adventures. My personal feeling is that even 650s are too heavy for me to feel comfortable when I'm way back off the beaten path. I travel alone.

For awhile now my "only bike" has been a 1995 TW200. Daily commuter, cross country adventures, camping trips, rallys and everything in between. An incredibly versatile and reliable bike. The WR will probably feel like a rocket ship.

Hopefully the WR will not disappoint.

Do you guys have any good advice for a future WRR owner? Can this bike be used reliably for adventure touring?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New member, long time rider   New member, long time rider EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 4:11 pm

Absolutely! Like any other bike, it's just a trade-off when choosing tires and gearing. Personally I lean to the dirt side, so have MT43 tires with 13/49 sprockets.

I haven't actually put full camping gear on the bike, but it carries a big duffle on the rear rack pretty well. Just add protection to your liking and don't forget a bigger gas tank. The stock one is only good for about 120 miles.

Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: New member, long time rider   New member, long time rider EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

I am a former KLR 650 rider as well. I have zero regrets in selling to purchase the WR250R. As for dualsporting, I did a ten day trip to Newfoundland last summer, carrying my camping gear, meals, etc (I pack light) and had no desire during any of that wonderful trip for a bigger bike in terms of cc's or size. I think you will be well satisfied with it when you get one.

One thing I did do, and I only have a 30 inch inseam, was to purchase some aftermarket footpegs to lower them a wee bit. Worked great and I am sure with your height they would be an advantage as well.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New member, long time rider   New member, long time rider EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I came off the Tdub to the R2. You will absolutely love it. EFI, more punch in motor and far superior suspension.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member, long time rider   New member, long time rider Empty

Back to top Go down

New member, long time rider
Page 1 of 1