Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DWK

Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag Empty
PostSubject: Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag   Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 1:52 am

I bought one of these very large tank bags some time ago but never got around to using it on my old touring bike. Since I had just mounted a larger size Scaggs rack on my 2014 WRR, I thought the Marsee would make a good rack bag. It is WAY too big for the tank on any modest displacement bike.

The Ultrapocket bag has several pockets, as the name indicates. One is a detachable pouch you can clip over your belt when leaving the bike. The interior is nicely arranged and the bag comes with a rain cover. The clear map pouch on top is detachable if you're using it as a rear rack bag. It also has a nice carry strap and a well-padded carry handle. The cordura-like material that comprises the body and base of the bag seems quite sturdy.

One of the things that originally attracted me to the Marsee bag is that it has a separate base that is strapped to your large tank or rack. The bag has zippers down both sides that attach it to the base. When you stop at a restaurant, you can quickly detach the bag and take it with you.

I set off to ride a trail that my '93 K2500 extended cab pickup can make. It's not very difficult. I had 7 lbs in the rear Tubliss-equipped D606 and 12 lbs in the stock front tire. I have lower-than-stock gearing and, being late middle aged, I take it easy.

I packed the Marsee with a couple tools in the bottom and mainly clothing, first aid, and emergency gear on top. Not a hugely heavy load.

The Marsee made fewer than 10 miles before the zipper on one side (a plastic YKK of substantial size) gave way. I like the bag a lot, but the mounting system is clearly designed for a bike that will be cruising smooth highways. I'll have to think about how to replace the existing zippers with something heavier duty or this will not work as a dual sport rear rack bag.

Based on my limited experience, I'd advise being very careful about buying Marsee tank bags for other than strictly highway use. Once I fix the mounting issue and use the Marsee for a few thousand miles, I'll report how the other parts of the bag have held up.

Dave

Back to top Go down
DWK

Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag   Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Even though I valued the ability to quickly remove the Marsee bag when going into a restaurant or the like, it was more important to have it stay securely attached to the bike. Since the bag has a couple heavy-duty plastic D rings at each end, I decided to take some substantial nylon straps and just strap the thing to the Scaggs rack. And by the way, I really like the extraordinary number of openings in the Scaggs rack, which allow for many different strap configurations.

As a final measure, I added a wide strap with a quick release buckle around the middle of the Marsee. This further secures the bag to the rack and would prevent the zippered top from fully unzipping while underway (were it inclined to do that).

Today I took the WR over about 20 miles of moderate to rough dirt roads and trails, including a steep hill climb (for me, anyway). The strapping system is holding the bag securely in place and none of the zippered compartments/pockets worked open. Hopefully that will continue over the long run.

The valuable gear in the Marsee bag is contained in a couple stuff sacks that can be easily removed when leaving the bike for short periods. Not an ideal setup, but I can probably make it work.

Dave
Back to top Go down

Limited Review of Marsee Ultrapocket Tank Bag
Page 1 of 1