Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

adjusting the steering head?

Go down 
+3
Caldsy
YZEtc
Paulie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulie

Paulie

adjusting the steering head? Empty
PostSubject: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 5:31 pm

My R has a sorta too-loose feeling steering. It has ~3500 mi, is ~80/20 street/trail, & I don't want a steering damper. The manuals say it needs maint often, so that's no surprise.

But geez, there's gotta be an easier way to tighten up the steering a bit than what the svc manual sez...I hope! Removing the upper bracket looks like a royal PITA. Is that necessary? dunno

I know that ya'd have to remove it to check the bearings lube, but I'd like to save that for later since it has lo mileage. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Yes, it's necessary because underneath the top triple clamp, there are two slotted spanner nuts.
These two slotted nuts are locked together with a special retainer, and getting the retainer off means the top triple clamp comes off.

It's really not difficult, just will take longer than you hoped.

In my experience, even with the WR250R (and WR250X) steering head bearings snugged right down properly, the steering has less resistance and a "looser" feel to it than the off-road-only bikes in the Yamaha line, such as the YZs and WR250F.
I, too, wanted to crank the bearing tension down on both my WR250R and X, and after I tightened them both as much as I dared, it still wasn't as firm as I have always preferred with my dirt bikes.
So, I got used to it.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 pm

I wish but i have not driven enough miles to get a good feel for the steering yet due to the cold weather and snow conditions.

Are you shunning steering damper use because of the cost... the size of the thing or just the type of feel it gives when driving?

Back to top Go down
Paulie

Paulie

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 12:23 am

Well they do seem to be kinda $$$$$$$. It's another gizmo aboard that can break or need attention & adds weight.

The feel ain't really bad & I've never had a tankslapper. If I can improve it with a "tighten up" - remember that tune?! bannana - that'd be swell.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 am

Paulie wrote:
Well they do seem to be kinda $$$$$$$.  It's another gizmo aboard that can break or need attention & adds weight.

The feel ain't really bad & I've never had a tankslapper. If I can improve it with a "tighten up" - remember that tune?! bannana  - that'd be swell.

To each their own.

Never would have thought of putting a steering damper on a bike and then I bought a KTM 450 EXC that had one.

Now I have them on all my DS rides and am looking to put one on my 2 stroke trail/enduro bike.
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 10:08 am

I don't have enough seat time on my DS (or dirtbikes for that matter) to distinguish if I would need/want a Damper on my WRR however I had a Ohlins on my R6 Sport bike and it saved my life a few times over I'm sure. They are adjustable (so if you are on the street or rocky terrain) you can adjust how much dampening you want and they really aren't that heavy that you would notice.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Caldsy wrote:
I don't have enough seat time on my DS (or dirtbikes for that matter) to distinguish if I would need/want a Damper on my WRR however I had a Ohlins on my R6 Sport bike and it saved my life a few times over I'm sure.  They are adjustable (so if you are on the street or rocky terrain) you can adjust how much dampening you want and they really aren't that heavy that you would notice.  

I would say the steering damper on my WRR has saved me from a few get offs. Not sure about saving my life though since I seldom ride it at life threatening speeds and when I do it usually is on some pavement.

If you ever get to the point of getting one just make sure you are getting one that is intended for off road riding - that have different versions for street and dirt.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 am

rsteiger wrote:
Caldsy wrote:
I don't have enough seat time on my DS (or dirtbikes for that matter) to distinguish if I would need/want a Damper on my WRR however I had a Ohlins on my R6 Sport bike and it saved my life a few times over I'm sure.  They are adjustable (so if you are on the street or rocky terrain) you can adjust how much dampening you want and they really aren't that heavy that you would notice.  

I would say the steering damper on my WRR has saved me from a few get offs.  Not sure about saving my life though since  I seldom ride it at life threatening speeds and when I do it usually is on some pavement.

If you ever get to the point of getting one just make sure you are getting one that is intended for off road riding - that have different versions for street and dirt.

And which one(s) would work best for off road riding)?
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: scotts dampers    adjusting the steering head? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 8:52 pm

a scotts steering damper is pretty savy off road. Also..  dont be shy about buying a used unit ...all the scotts dampers are the same as far as i know.. and they just use "adaption kits" to adapt the unit to a specific bike.

->this-< only shows one parts list for the scotts damper so it looks like just one unit. dunno

I looked at the wr250r set up ->HERE<- and it appears the the cross bar on the stock bars is too low.. so another set of handle bars is required.... horse

being a cheap bugger i bought a scotts damper off craigs list {from a crotch rocket}and made my own adapter.. ->HERE<- ...  but at the end of the day just buy a new adapter to go with a used damper to cut  way down on costs. bert
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:20 pm

GlibGuy wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
Caldsy wrote:

I would say the steering damper on my WRR has saved me from a few get offs.  Not sure about saving my life though since  I seldom ride it at life threatening speeds and when I do it usually is on some pavement.

And which one(s) would work best for off road riding)?

If you get a Scotts unit used make sure it is for off road riding. They have different calibration than a street unit.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 8:40 am

Street units dampen back to center, off road units do not. You don't want it to dampen back to center on an offroad bike.
Back to top Go down
GlibGuy

GlibGuy

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks for the replies regarding Scotts.  If I hit the lottery I'll buy one!
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Guys thanks for pointing out the two Scotts damper units for on and off road. I emailed the company to get a few stats on the difference ..i'll post on a new thread so all can see by topic.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the steering head?   adjusting the steering head? Empty

Back to top Go down

adjusting the steering head?
Page 1 of 1