Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Adjusting Pre-load

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mkearl

mkearl

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to adjust the pre-load on my bike. While off the bike when I measure from the ground to a bold on the side of my luggage rack it is 36 3/4 inches. When I sit on the bike it is 35 inches. Therefore not enough sag (assuming that is the proper way to measure).

I am trying to adjust the pre-load by taking a flat head screwdriving and hammer and using it to move the top ring on the shock. I am on the left side of the bike (facing the rear of the bike). If I look at the shock from the top I can get the ring to move clockwise but not counter clockwise. Am I going the right direction? Adjusting Pre-load Icon_scratch I also note that the screwdriver is digging into/damaging the metal on the top ring. Should I be using a special tool to do this so I don't mark up/damage the ring?

The preload is currently stock showing about 8-9 threads. My understanding from reviewing previous posts (HighFive, etc.) is that for someone my size (175 lbs. plus gear) is that I want about 3 threads showing. My reducing the amount of threads showing from 8-9 to 3 will that increase sag? Are the bikes set up stiff from the factory such that us lighter folks have to reduce the preload to increase the sag? Adjusting Pre-load Icon_scratch

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Moving the rings to the top (towards the seat) will make it softer. Moving them towards the road will make it harder. I use a screwdriver and loosen off the top ring first, then the one sitting against the coil to where I want it, then tighten the top ring against the bottom to keep it in place. There is a special tool to adjust those rings, but it's pretty pricey. I had mine set to the last top 3 threads showing before I had the suspension redone and it was a nice plush ride. You just want to make sure that you can't get movement of that coil by hand by turning it (so it's easy to twist) or you'll damage the rings/threads.

mkearl

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 pm

SheWolf,

Thanks. Do you know/remember which direction the rings should turn to soften the suspension. If you are looking at the shock from the top would you turn the rings clockwise or counterclockwise?

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:03 pm

IIRC, it was counterclockwise to loosen (soften) it.

njbill

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 pm

mkearl wrote:

My reducing the amount of threads showing from 8-9 to 3 will that increase sag?

Yes, this is correct.
Back to top Go down
ramz

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Quote :
I am trying to adjust the pre-load on my bike. While off the bike when
I measure from the ground to a bold on the side of my luggage rack it
is 36 3/4 inches. When I sit on the bike it is 35 inches. Therefore not
enough sag (assuming that is the proper way to measure).
The first measurement should be from the axle to a point on the bike (bold? bolt) when the bike is on a bike stand, not on the ground. Then, lower the bike to the ground, sit on the bike with all riding gear on, and measure from the axle to the same reference point. Usually, you need a helper cause it's hard to get the measuring tape in correct position and read it when you're sittin on the bike.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:27 pm

ramz wrote:
Quote :
I am trying to adjust the pre-load on my bike. While off the bike when
I measure from the ground to a bold on the side of my luggage rack it
is 36 3/4 inches. When I sit on the bike it is 35 inches. Therefore not
enough sag (assuming that is the proper way to measure).
The first measurement should be from the axle to a point on the bike (bold? bolt) when the bike is on a bike stand, not on the ground. Then, lower the bike to the ground, sit on the bike with all riding gear on, and measure from the axle to the same reference point. Usually, you need a helper cause it's hard to get the measuring tape in correct position and read it when you're sittin on the bike.
And by 'bike is on a bike stand' it means suspension hanging free, NOT the rear lifted by a swingarm stand. At a recent event (50 moto friends), for my 410 lbs wet weight Triumph we just had 2 guys lift up the back of the bike and then measured. Then did the same with the front.

Measuring loaded should be done with your feet on the pegs, best with 2 helpers - one to keep bike vertical, the other measures, and you just sit on bike looking very cool! Adjusting Pre-load Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
mkearl

mkearl

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm

That is cool. Thank's for the info everyone. I didn't think I was measuring it correctly but now I am. Got the suspension adjusted and took it for a ride. Seems much better. Adjusting Pre-load 61865 I was hoping to minimize the "pogo stick" effect when going over bumpy terrain.

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:55 pm

mkearl wrote:
That is cool. Thank's for the info everyone. I didn't think I was measuring it correctly but now I am. Got the suspension adjusted and took it for a ride. Seems much better. Adjusting Pre-load 61865 I was hoping to minimize the "pogo stick" effect when going over bumpy terrain.

Mark K.

I am 175 lbs. also. What did you settle on, i.e. how many threads visible?
Back to top Go down
mkearl

mkearl

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 pm

NJBill,

There are 3 or 4 threads showing at the top. I tried to make it even less but any higher and the bottom ring isn't tight against the spring. I think 3 or 4 threads showing is the softest you can go.

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Adjusting Pre-load Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting Pre-load   Adjusting Pre-load Empty

Back to top Go down

Adjusting Pre-load
Page 1 of 1