Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trail Tech Vapor install questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions Empty
PostSubject: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 2:16 pm

I just purchased a Trail Tech Vapor.

I would like to install the speedo sensor on the rear wheel, I don't want the sensor cable tied to the front brake line.

Pro/cons?

Also where did you install the tach wire?
around the coil or orange wire?
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 pm

just mounted on handlebars, still have to hookup all the sensor wires

trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions IMG_0849a_zps07612fa6
Back to top Go down
Protosouls

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:07 am

"I would like to install the speedo sensor on the rear wheel, I don't want the sensor cable tied to the front brake line.

Pro/cons?"

If you install the speed sensor on the rear wheel it will still show wheel spin in the speedometer/odometer (faster speeds/more miles).

But would be accurate on the road no matter what gearing you had. As long as you don't spin tires on the asphalt  Very happy

My 2 cents.

-Protosouls
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:52 am

cool, thanks.
I can deal with a little wheel spin, I really don't want that big cable going down the front brake line.
I don't ride any timed enduros, just trail ride.

I've been looking everywhere for coolant temps.

What would be the average running temp and what would be overheating?
I checked the service manual and couldn't find anything.
I need to know when to set the warning temp and over heating temp.

I did mount the speedo, ran power to it and found a place to mount the speedo sensor.

I'm going to finish the install tomorrow, guess I'll have to remove the fuel tank to get to the spark plug.
that's messed up Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Install complete:
Temp sensor was a pain to install, you would think that cutting and inserting the sensor in the radiator hose would be easy but the sensor is just a little too big for the hose. A lot of force and !@#$ was involved.

Speed Sensor on the rear wheel went ok but I needed to extend the wire about 12 inches. The first test ride and the MPH was correct. 2139 was the setting with my Pirelli Rallycross MT21

Tach: is a little off. Redline is about 11700 RPMs, I think the rev limiter is 10500. If I peg the throttle the tach will read all the way to 12000. When I’m coasting there is no reading at all, zero.
I checked the Trail Tech against the “CO Mode” Tach and its close when blipping the throttle and when revs are about 9500 the tach reads 11000, so its gets further off when the RPM goes higher
I need to find a way to make the tach less erratic.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 pm

looking forward to seeing what the normal running temperature is on your bike .
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 8:46 pm

rarepartbuilder wrote:
looking forward to seeing what the normal running temperature is on your bike .

after my next ride I will report engine temps.
I did a quick ride around the block today and my max temp was 160.

another thing that bugs me is there is a outside air temp on the display. it reads about 15 degrees high. there is no sensor for this, it must be in the gauge.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:50 am

TwoBuells wrote:

another thing that bugs me is there is a outside air temp on the display.  it reads about 15 degrees high. there is no sensor for this, it must be in the gauge.

I would consider 185 f a normal operating temp.. but then again a klr has a 160 deg thermostat {There is that whole thermobob issue with by pass and 185 f thermostats.}.

Is there anyway you could borrow a thermo probe to plop down into the radiator top tank...and compare the values? / calibrate.

Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I will get some average temp readings for you. I did take a short ride today and the temp outside was 50f and the bike was 157f~161f. when I pulled into the garage and the bike was sitting for five min and the temp was 171f.

I will open the cap and get a temp reading after my next ride, I'd also like to see what temp the fan kicks on.
Might have to wait for another warm day or spring whichever comes first

Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 pm

rarepartbuilder wrote:
TwoBuells wrote:

another thing that bugs me is there is a outside air temp on the display.  it reads about 15 degrees high. there is no sensor for this, it must be in the gauge.

I would consider 185 f a normal operating temp.. but then again a klr has a 160 deg thermostat  {There is that whole thermobob issue with by pass and 185 f thermostats.}.

Is there anyway you could  borrow  a thermo probe to plop down into the radiator top tank...and compare the values? / calibrate.
Outside air temp was 54f
Went on a 20 miles ride today, average temp was 171. When I would stop for a min it would go up to about 194.
After the ride, parked in the garage, 186.
I ran inside the house and got my meat thermometer.
The gauge was down to 171
The water temp with my meat thermometer was 168

After about ten min in garage the gauge was 155 and the meat thermometer was 152

so I think the Vapor gauge is really close and there is no way to calibrate it for water temp

Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 am

TwoBuells wrote:

Outside air temp was 54f
Went on a 20 miles ride today, average temp was 171. When I would stop for a min it would go up to about 194.

After about ten min in garage the gauge was 155 and the meat thermometer was 152

so I think the Vapor gauge is really close and there is no way to calibrate it for water temp

Thanks for taking the time to investigate and post this info. The wr seems to be running some pretty decent numbers in different conditions.Enjoy that 50 deg weather you are in... im trying to decide to go for a 32f ride... at least snow is not an issue yet ..
Back to top Go down
nsrider

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 11:15 pm

Can the stock instrument cluster be removed without any I'll side effects?
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 11:31 pm

nsrider wrote:
Can the stock instrument cluster be removed without any I'll side effects?

no, from what I've read on this and other forums

I've changed where the Trail Tech Vapor is mounted

trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions IMG_0899_zpsba39beca
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions EmptyWed May 06, 2015 10:25 pm

rarepartbuilder wrote:
TwoBuells wrote:

Outside air temp was 54f

Thanks for taking the time to investigate and post this info. The wr seems to be running some pretty decent numbers in different conditions.Enjoy that 50 deg weather you are in... im trying to decide to go for a 32f ride... at least snow is not an issue yet ..

Just to give you an update on water temps now that its warmer out. 76 was outside temp today

Today on the ride home from work, 15 miles. avg water temp was 205~212 and a high of 229 waiting at a red light. deal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor install questions   trail tech tach - Trail Tech Vapor install questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Trail Tech Vapor install questions
Page 1 of 1