Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods

Go down 
+2
dogshmog
Evol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
beer goggle

beer goggle

Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods Empty
PostSubject: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:13 pm

I got round to fitting/removing some bits & pieces on my bike today. These included:

- FMF fuel programmer
- AIS removed
- Flapper mod
- K&N air filter

As you know Euro bikes have a lambda probe, aka an O2 sensor. Would the above setup have an adverse effect on the bike in its current state? I literally just ordered a FMF pipe/header combo, which will probably take a couple of weeks to get here, so will be riding as in the meantime. I vaguely remember someone here recommend removing the O2 sensor when using my setup. Can anyone shed light on this? Don't want to damage the engine in any way.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Don't know about the removing the O2 sensor, as it's a beneficial thing to have. My opinion is that the FMF fuel programmer is a crude device that adds completely unmetered fuel. It might work on the dyno with the appropriate settings at WOT, but it's all the part throttle applications that could potentially be wildly out of tune. This type of fuel "management" is really no better than seat of the pants carb tuning IMO. A good google search will probably get you what your looking for, as far as eliminating the O2.

And while your at it, I'd recommend knocking the whole bottom of the airbox snorkel out. You merely take a flat head screw driver, put it through the hole the flapper vacuum canister used to occupy, place the screw driver blade at the edge of the flapper pivot, and give a solid swat to the screw driver with a mallet. Then repeat on the other side. This will break out the internal snorkel, which has a much smaller overall area than the outer snorkel. Gluing down the flapper doesn't do anything. As the VACUUM canister opens the door at full throttle anyways.

Screwing down the flap has always baffled me, do people actually think its closed at WOT anyways?
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 10:27 pm

I agree about the flapper mod not being enough. I did the "ultimate airbox mod" to improve the airflow. Now it can breathe.
As far as the FMF FP only being worth while at WOT... That's how I ride!! You have to with the limited power this bike has.
Back to top Go down
dogshmog

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 10:58 pm

Evol wrote:
I agree about the flapper mod not being enough. I did the "ultimate airbox mod" to improve the airflow. Now it can breathe.
As far as the FMF FP only being worth while at WOT... That's how I ride!! You have to with the limited power this bike has.

Good point, WOT is a way of life with this thing. Although, I've found that timing adjustments add a lot of meat to the power band at part throttle delivery.
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 3:33 am

I have an Australian model with the O2 sensor. I did my fair share of googling and came back with more speculation than anything. The O2 sensor may try to fight the programmer and reduce the fuel you have added. But as this is only a mod on the Euro type models it can't be crucial if not all WR's have it. As far as I know from the information I read it seems more of an add on for emissions standards in certain countries. But hey I am no expert.

I followed the lead of an old thread somewhere on the interwebs that an Aussie had commented on removing the O2 sensor with no codes displayed on the bike and no issues. I can't remember how many Km's he had done but I have done a few hundred with no issues with it removed and my PCV installed.

There are other Aussies on the forum who have done similar. But as with anything it is up to you and its your gamble if the worst happens but I have not heard of any issues.

My 2 cents on the programmer only working at WOT is a little different as I have the PCV but even with only it and the airbox flapper down (for now but won't be long and it'll get the ultimate airbox mod)  it lugs better as well as pulling harder. This experience will be somewhat different as the the programmers do not work quite the same but it would be interesting to know what others have experienced. I am keen to get an exhaust and try out some of the maps with timing changes. Need this other bike to move and free up some cash.
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 8:34 pm

the o2 sensor *SHOULD* be for closed loop riding only which is <20% throttle / cruising conditions to keep mixtures at stoich.

I haven't unplugged mine but will probably do a few tests with it unplugged.
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 1:42 am

alexWR wrote:
the o2 sensor *SHOULD* be for closed loop riding only which is <20% throttle / cruising conditions to keep mixtures at stoich.

Alex have you put the auto tune on your PVC yet? Also did the new map of Brad's with the timing changes have much affect? I'm still waiting to run it when I get my exhaust which seems to be dragging out so I can try it.
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 3:17 am

speersie wrote:
alexWR wrote:

Alex have you put the auto tune on your PVC yet? Also did the new map of Brad's with the timing changes have much affect? I'm still waiting to run it when I get my exhaust which seems to be dragging out so I can try it.

no :(

I just put my house up for sale so have been flat out doing everything else... my new house should give me plenty of time and room for tinkering though
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 4:20 am

alexWR wrote:

no :(

I just put my house up for sale so have been flat out doing everything else... my new house should give me plenty of time and room for tinkering though

Haha tell me about it. Baby number 2 is due in 4ish weeks and we just started getting quotes for my shed although it is still some time off got to go through council blah blah etc. I am keen as to buy an exhaust for my bike but have committed to waiting till my road bike is gone but the bloke I am selling it to has still not picked it up and it is hard because I know the bloke. Seems like it's been dragging on for ages because there was a vague time frame of before Christmas. My Mrs has seen the potential room in the garage and is not real impressed, the shed is well overdue but these things take time and money.

Hope all goes well with the houses.
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 5:54 am

did your PVC have the Co2 sensor with it? or does it hook in some how (i have no tuner as yet was thinking a power commander with auto tune +Co2 sensor)

i have also read somewhere that you can unhook the Co2 on AUS/EU models to no "seeming affect" deal
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 6:10 am

theMISSIONARY wrote:
did your PVC have the Co2 sensor with it? or does it hook in some how (i have no tuner as yet was thinking a power commander with auto tune +Co2 sensor)

i have also read somewhere that you can unhook the Co2 on AUS/EU models to no "seeming affect" deal

I bought mine without (left the factory sensor in place but unplugged) and am tossing up a dyno tune or spending the $250ish on the auto tune module. The 02 sensor needs a bung welded into the header or mid pipe if it doesn't already have one and is an add on to the PCV with a few wires. From memory I read 2 wires for the sensor and possibly power as well.
For me being in Australia postage plays a big part in the price and most things are cheaper from the USA. I found here to best place including postage. Also got the speedo drd for a good price. https://www.motomummy.com/dynojet-powercommanders/dynojet-powercommander-v-dual-sport/dirt/

I'd suggest spending the extra $20ish for fuel and ignition. The few people who have it say it helps wake the bike up. It's only a few extra plugs and easy to install. I've put a few hundred Km's on my bike with no issues having the sensor unplugged. I'm glad I spent the extra only on the PCV over the FMF programmer.
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 am

In Tas mate :P

I currently run the Staintune with a Co2 but i am thinking of modifying the muffler as its noisy with no quality to that noise.

if i am going to get a programmer i will get the one with the lot Very happy as i think thats the point of EFI is to make it do all the work of the tuning, no guess work thumb
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 am

I hunted around for ages before Christmas and that was the best deal I found I think about $30-40 delivery and came within 2 weeks. Any other decent prices I found the shipping blew it out. It's hard because some companies choose the price to dictate internation shipping rates. And Aussie prices were too way expensive even the PC authorised dealer nearby. I am still keen on auto tune but need some more overtime before I do much more. It did liven it up quite a bit from stock.
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback fellas thumb

I'll run it as is for the time being until the header/pipe arrive. Glad to see I'm not the only one with an motorcycle appendix freaky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods   Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods Empty

Back to top Go down

Euro bike with FMF FP & other mods
Page 1 of 1