Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cam chain tensioner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
66T

66T

Cam chain tensioner Empty
PostSubject: Cam chain tensioner   Cam chain tensioner EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 6:03 am

I'm not going to moan too much about this in the growing tally of WR fails. Suffice to say my engine has always been very rattly, so finally I got around to fitting the Krieger manual cct yesterday. My engine has just passed the 11,000km mark, and about 650 hours. Just as a matter of interest, the oil is changed every 50hrs or 1000km, whichever comes first.

It was a pain in the poo shooter to get the starter motor out of the way sufficiently to get to the cct bottom bolt (which was VERY tight), but anger wins every time and the job was eventually done. On my bike, I should have removed the entire exhaust system, which would have made things easy, but... Next time.

One thing the instructions warn the buyer about is only tightening the adjuster rod by hand. I can categorically state that if the sealing O-ring is seated, this doesn't work, and you are greeted with bloody awful rattles. So, I adjusted it with a small screwdriver until the rattle just went away on a hot engine, and have repeated it as the adjuster seats in the back of the tensioner. It should settle soon. It does clatter a bit when cold, but I can live with that.

Verdict: RESULT! The engine still knocks and carries on, but is so much quieter than it's ever been that my workmate came out of the house to see if I was running the same bike. Nice.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner   Cam chain tensioner EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 10:23 am

good info. I read about the mechanical chain tensioner swap over on the big dog site but it didnt give much back ground info. Can youi post up the link for the unit you purchased?
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner   Cam chain tensioner EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:14 pm

I really wanna go ride with you if you reach 50hours before 1000km.

Got any vids ect, it sounds gnarly wink
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner   Cam chain tensioner EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 4:33 am

www.clems-garage.com/CCT/  is the Krieger website I have. I figure this man knows what he's on about.

I worked out the average speed over 3000km or so of my work, and it's 18.7km/h. So I pretty much never reach 1000km before changing oil at 50 hrs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cam chain tensioner   Cam chain tensioner Empty

Back to top Go down

Cam chain tensioner
Page 1 of 1