Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Exhaust Preferences

Go down 
+5
abchel
speersie
StevenT
rsteiger
Roku
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Roku

Exhaust Preferences Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 9:16 pm

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm going to ask anyways.  I know there are many different options out there as far as exhaust systems whether you want just the slip on, just the header or the actual full exhaust.  I've got both a wr250x and wr250r, the X is a daily street use with an occasional lets see where this goes bike, and the R is a "I probably shouldn't be back here bike."  Anyhow my X is covered with a full graves exhaust which sounds absolutely amazing, why wouldn't it for the cost right, but at the same time its not obnoxiously loud.  I find myself just sitting at red lights just revving the crap out of it just to hear it, everyone else in their cars I assume just thinks I'm an idiot, they could be right.

The real question I have then is for the wr250r, like I said, this bike is gonna be a straight up lets go anywhere and everywhere bike, but i don't want to attract unnecessary attention which leads to my question which exhaust would be the best for this kind of thing?

Yes, I understand the stock exhaust is gonna be the best bet for quietness, however I still wouldn't mind gaining some extra power if possible.  As far as I can tell the FMF Q4 is the quietest aftermarket exhaust and is even a bit quieter with the addition of the megabomb header.  Also is there anyone that has tried both the megabomb and powerbomb header and can actually tell a difference in where the power is being delivered.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Roku wrote:
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm going to ask anyways.  I know there are many different options out there as far as exhaust systems whether you want just the slip on, just the header or the actual full exhaust.  I've got both a wr250x and wr250r, the X is a daily street use with an occasional lets see where this goes bike, and the R is a "I probably shouldn't be back here bike."  Anyhow my X is covered with a full graves exhaust which sounds absolutely amazing, why wouldn't it for the cost right, but at the same time its not obnoxiously loud.  I find myself just sitting at red lights just revving the crap out of it just to hear it, everyone else in their cars I assume just thinks I'm an idiot, they could be right.

The real question I have then is for the wr250r, like I said, this bike is gonna be a straight up lets go anywhere and everywhere bike, but i don't want to attract unnecessary attention which leads to my question which exhaust would be the best for this kind of thing?

Yes, I understand the stock exhaust is gonna be the best bet for quietness, however I still wouldn't mind gaining some extra power if possible.  As far as I can tell the FMF Q4 is the quietest aftermarket exhaust and is even a bit quieter with the addition of the megabomb header.  Also is there anyone that has tried both the megabomb and powerbomb header and can actually tell a difference in where the power is being delivered.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

I took my stock exhaust and cut the catalytic converter out of it (well actually a used exhaust I purchased from an inmate here). Strange this is it even got quieter without the cat.. go figure.

Before that I had ran a DRD exhaust (loud) and a custom GSXR1000 exhaust setup (quiet). The performance of the DRD and the GSXR were about the same except for the noise. However now I am running the catless can and liking it. After going through all of the mods I think the best bang for the money is changing the gearing. Probably will just leave the catless pipe on and enjoy the bike.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 6:54 am

If you want to buy an aftermarket muffler and are concerned with noise (as you should be, especially when riding off-road without a welcome mat put out for you), the FMF Q4 is the way to go.
It is right in between the sound level of the stock muffler and the typical motocross-track-loud aftermarket mufflers.
I ran the Q4 on my 2008 WR250R and 2008 WR250X, and felt the noise level was completely acceptable.
I will be louder than stock, just not ridiculously loud as others are.
If noise output is a deal breaker for where you ride, use your head and use the stock muffler, as much as it may pain you.

With FMF headers, I used the Powerbomb on my WR250R and the Megabomb on my WR250X.
I did not compare the Powerbomb to the Megabomb, but I did compare the stock header to the Megabomb in a back-to-back experiment with the WR250X:

The day I installed the Megabomb header, the Q4 muffler was already in place and being used with the stock header for a couple of weeks.
This day, I rode the bike for about 20 minutes like that, pulled up the driveway, removed the stock header (wearing gloves since the engine was still hot), installed the Megabomb header, and went straight back out on the road, down time about 15-or-so minutes.

Resulting difference?
The addition of the Megabomb header made the power a bit stronger at middle revs, and while the engine would still pull up to the same high revs as before, I got the feeling that a bit of power had been removed from those high revs.
In other words, a bit of high-RPM power was traded to get a bit more middle-RPM power, even though this trade-off was masked very well.
That was my seat of the pants impression.

All-in-all, I felt the addition of the header was worth the money since it did change the power characteristics in a way that benefited everyday riding, although it is not an absolute necessity.
If you want an example of what I feel is an absolute necessity, that is changing the gearing to something realistic for off-road usage.
Back to top Go down
Roku

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Ya the first thing changed on both bikes was the gearing, went with 13t 46t for the X and 13t 49t for the R.

YZEtc thanks for the input, it sounds as if the Q4 is the way to go as far as the can goes. Now I could just be in left field here but for the most part any aftermarket header should allow for more power throughout the rpm range, it sounds like the power increase through the middle was just that much more of a gain than what increased at the top end. I guess what i'm asking then, was there any discernible difference in power in the lower rpm range with the megabomb header as they advertise.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 9:30 pm

I don't recall any difference in low-end with the Megabomb.
However, realize that to a motocross racer, what a trail rider calls mid-range, the MX racer will call low-end.
Back to top Go down
StevenT

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:17 am

Hi guys

Just been reading your posts with interest as I'm planning to do my bike too.  YZEtc: did you also get an EFI programmer?  As from what I have read so far, you need to reprogram the fuel injection otherwise you will not get the performance benefit of fitting the new header/can.  This is the equivalent of re-jetting a carb (apparently).

There is a great youtube video on programming the programmer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuTohrZ2q0

I'm currently riding a 2008 WR250R with a stock exhaust system. Already changed the gearing to 13/50.  I got a taste of a mate's KTM Freeride 350 and thought I want some of that... but I have about 30-40 miles to ride on road before I hit the dirt so it kinda rules that out.  So I'm set to keep the WR but try to improve its performance.  

I'm also concerned about the noise (I'm in densely populated South East England).  I know it'll be louder but given the WR250R on stock set up is ridiculously quiet and the Q4 is the quietest aftermarket then I'm hoping it wont be too loud.  

Best price I've for the Q4 can (FMF item 044271), Megabomb (FMF item 044356) and EFI programmer (014403) for all three is Fullcircle Powersports through eBay, which is about $709 without shipping.  With shipping and customs to the UK, works out at about £625 (about $930)

If anyone else has done this mod.... would really appreciate some feedback.  Performance? Noise? Price?
Cheers
Steven
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 6:51 am

I say that even if you do no other modifications, the fuel programmer is worth it since the stock settings are not going to give you the best in throttle response.
I once rode my 2008 WR250R back-to-back both with and without the fuel programmer hooked-up, and the bike was so much better with the programmer, it was no contest.
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 8:15 am

StevenT it's worth shopping around. I'm in Australia so getting stuff can be a bitch. I know for us we have no import duty under $1000 AUD.

For the programmer you can't go past the Power Commander PCV with fuel and ignition. Motomummy sell them for about $280 and shipped to me for $40 so I got a speedodrd as well to make the shipping worth while. This is by far a better programmer than the FMF and can add and remove fuel every 250RPM. You can run different maps and in my opinion it's worth the extra cash but it is up to you to decide. I've been running it on my stock bike side Christmas and it's woken the bike up already. Can't wait to put the exhaust on and try a new map. This map will be for the mods you've mentioned. https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t11192-pcv-fuel-ignition-fuel-map-to-share

Also I just ordered and am waiting on my FMF Q4 and Megabomb from Riders Discount. They will ship international orders over $300 US for free. It was $515 US.

Well worth comparing these guys too depending on import etc
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 8:32 am

Sorry I was on my ipad and adding multiple links is a pain.

Motomummy https://www.motomummy.com/dynojet-powercommanders/dynojet-powercommander-v-dual-sport/dirt/ Pay the few extra dollars and get fuel and ignition. You can always leave the ignition table blank but from what was said by the guy in the link above with the map to share it does help wake the bike up. I am keen to run it when I get my exhaust.

Riders Discount. They have the Q4 and powerbomb on their website but I used the contact us and Brad was really helpful. Chased up the Megabomb and got me a price $220 US so Total $515 US. Like I said you can't beat free international shipping and well it's not hard to spend $300. https://www.ridersdiscount.com/search/results?search_text=wr250%20r%20fmf
Back to top Go down
Roku

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 7:39 pm

I can say for sure StevenT after gearing change the best mod by far is a programmer, there is nothing like having instant throttle response. I rode my X which did have a programmer straight back to back a few seconds apart with my R which didn't have a programmer and the difference was staggering. It felt like I was waiting seconds before going anywhere with the throttle cranked, the programmer eliminates any hesitation and once you ride one with it on there you wont go back.

My WR250X is now completely done barring a few minuscule mods, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Pictures will be posted soon.

The WR250R will be done in about a month once the ground starts hardening up a bit for more off road action.

Back to top Go down
StevenT

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Speersie and Roku - great responses, will investigate and get on with it and let you know how I get on - thank you
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Roku wrote:
I can say for sure StevenT after gearing change the best mod by far is a programmer, there is nothing like having instant throttle response.  I rode my X which did have a programmer straight back to back a few seconds apart with my R which didn't have a programmer and the difference was staggering.  It felt like I was waiting seconds before going anywhere with the throttle cranked, the programmer eliminates any hesitation and once you ride one with it on there you wont go back.

My WR250X is now completely done barring a few minuscule mods, and I couldn't be happier with the results.  Pictures will be posted soon.

The WR250R will be done in about a month once the ground starts hardening up a bit for more off road action.

Just curious if you have done the CO adjustment on either bike before the programmer.
Back to top Go down
Roku

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:04 pm

rsteiger, No i did not get around to it, however I just put my 49t sprocket on the rear of my wr250r with the fmf efi programmer and its a different bike completely. 3rd gear clutch ups with no problem, not even having to yank it back. However, I do need some proper settings for the fmf efi programmer with stock exhaust and air box mod if anyone has one right off hand, as my bike is getting way too much fuel on deceleration. I am rolling up to intersections with the clutch in and the motor at around 2.5-3.5k rpms then eventually falling off to idle.

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Roku wrote:
rsteiger, No i did not get around to it, however I just put my 49t sprocket on the rear of my wr250r with the fmf efi programmer and its a different bike completely.  3rd gear clutch ups with no problem, not even having to yank it back.  However, I do need some proper settings for the fmf efi programmer with stock exhaust and air box mod if anyone has one right off hand, as my bike is getting way too much fuel on deceleration.  I am rolling up to intersections with the clutch in and the motor at around 2.5-3.5k rpms then eventually falling off to idle.

See that was one of the things that concerned me about the FMF programmer. There is basically no way to tell if you have it set right. I was running one on my bike and the fuel economy took a shit and then I was also getting the engine stalling under load. Dug through the forum and found some fixes but unless you put it on the dyno or have a way to read an O2 sensor in the exhaust you really don't know what you have.
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Leo Vince, comes with a 94 & 96db tip
Back to top Go down
StevenT

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 2:02 am

Rsteiger, is that with stock exhaust also?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 am

StevenT wrote:
Rsteiger, is that with stock exhaust also?

You mean the CO setting change? Yes it is on all the bikes.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t3769-wr250-r-x-built-in-programmer

I have the stock pipe back on and put the EXUP back on as well. When the bike was cold there was a hesitation in the throttle response. I went from 0 (my stock setting) to 5 and the hesitation was gone.

However...

I noticed that there is some low speed cold idle instability now. Sounds like the bike is hunting to hold idle. Had the same issue when my FMF and PCV were on the bike. I suspect once the bike warms up that will be gone as it was with the FMF and PCV.

I will ride it for a bit and then decide what to do. Since the hesitation seems to be gone after the bike warms up I may just set it back to zero.

Back to top Go down
Roku

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 3:57 pm

The problem is not with the actual throttle response but with the extra fuel on decel however that is with the stock programming settings for the fmf and I believe the stock settings are for air box mod with a full exhaust. Can anyone confirm or deny if that is the case. Regardless of if it is or is not, a new setting is what I need to fix the problem I believe with the stock exhaust.

As far as for you rsteiger, I think your right on the money with the assessment of the colder weather causing that. My bike did the same thing as I live in Michigan and try to run any of my bikes whenever I can (as long as there is no snow) and throttle response was terrible when it was cold out but we were talking like 15-30 degrees.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Roku wrote:
The problem is not with the actual throttle response but with the extra fuel on decel however that is with the stock programming settings for the fmf and I believe the stock settings are for air box mod with a full exhaust.  Can anyone confirm or deny if that is the case.  Regardless of if it is or is not, a new setting is what I need to fix the problem I believe with the stock exhaust.

As far as for you rsteiger, I think your right on the money with the assessment of the colder weather causing that.  My bike did the same thing as I live in Michigan and try to run any of my bikes whenever I can (as long as there is no snow) and throttle response was terrible when it was cold out but we were talking like 15-30 degrees.

I think you are right on the money with that. Here in GA it doesn't get near as cold but we still get some mornings where we are replicating Northern temps.

Once the bike is up at operating temps then the throttle response is good.

I lived in IL and MI till 1993 and have been south ever since. While I love the country up in that area during the summer the winters are enough to keep me down south.
Back to top Go down
YAMAHA11.10.1775

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:31 pm

So reading through the listings here I am seeing a lot of people running the fmf q4 with either the powerbomb or megabomb header. Just a curiousity if anyone was using the fmf power-core4 with mega-bomb header and a Dynojet PowerCommanderV (preferably the fuel and ignition controller)? If so how have you liked it and is there anything you wish you had done differently. I work at a local dealership and was talking with a nearby dyno shop we do a lot of work with and this seems to be the route I am looking to go with my '12 WRR.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:40 pm

I also have the PowerBomb, Q4, and FMF programmer on my WRX, and I can say that the Q4 is plenty loud, and I like loud bikes.
I wouldn't go for the PowerCore4 if you're planning on riding on the street since it's even louder.
Unless your local cops are cool with loud bikes, stick with the Q4 at max.
Back to top Go down
YAMAHA11.10.1775

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:50 pm

Evol wrote:
I also have the PowerBomb, Q4, and FMF programmer on my WRX, and I can say that the Q4 is plenty loud, and I like loud bikes.
I wouldn't go for the PowerCore4 if you're planning on riding on the street since it's even louder.
Unless your local cops are cool with loud bikes, stick with the Q4 at max.

lol We do the service for the local cops motorcycles. I was advised against the q4 by our dyno guys due to some issues with running an ega machine during dyno tuning as well as allowing for a little easier serviceability to the can itself. Thanks for the input though.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Probably because the spark arrestor screen in the Q4 won't allow the EGA sniffer to be inserted down the muffler canister.
Back to top Go down
YAMAHA11.10.1775

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:17 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Probably because the spark arrestor screen in the Q4 won't allow the EGA sniffer to be inserted down the muffler canister.
That is what I was lead to believe as well where as the power core the park arrestor was removable
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:55 am

You can take the spark arrester out of the Q4 if you want to.

Theres also a non removable baffle 5-6 inches from the rear of the can, maybe that's the one screwing up the ega for the dyno guys?

The Q4 is exactly the same to service as the powercore4 tho, you can buy a Q4 core and put in the powercore4 or vise versa if you want to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Preferences   Exhaust Preferences Empty

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Preferences
Page 1 of 1