Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism

Go down 
+14
X-Racer
josh
pbnut
little squirt
Midnite171
mattf
bren5279
Stubbz
mrdoo2
SheWolf
inspector
CDNSXV
Chrispy1200
motokid
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Arkmage

Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 2:53 pm

So really... what is the best way to learn how to do this kinda stuff? Just start doing it and expect to replace some parts after the inevitable crashes?

There is a sumo group that rides here every Tuesday night. I need to hook up with them sometime and get some pointers. I didn't grow up with offroad bikes so I'm learning from scratch.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Arkmage wrote:
So really... what is the best way to learn how to do this kinda stuff? Just start doing it and expect to replace some parts after the inevitable crashes?

Yes, but wear your gear so your not replacing your parts. thumb
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Sounds fair. I want to get some nicer riding gear for my commute so my current stuff will likely become hooligan gear soon. I need to get a dot offroad helmet and some goggles. I don't want to screw up my $500 arai when I go down.
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Quote :

Pretty much. I would suggest you invest in as much crash protection for the bike as possible. Strong handguards and axle sliders make a world of difference in a crash.

Start small and slow and work your way up. It just takes practice and experience. I haven't binned it big over a jump yet but I have come close a few times and my bikes have been on the ground lots of times. A sumo just doesn't look right if it doesn't have a few scratches. thumb

Quote :
There is a sumo group that rides here every Tuesday night. I need to hook up with them sometime and get some pointers. I didn't grow up with offroad bikes so I'm learning from scratch.

Me neither. I spent 20+ years on sportbikes and roadracing and everything sumo seems bass ackwards to me. Before my first sumo I had for all intents and purposes never ridden a dirtbike before. At first curbs seemed big to me. Now I am dropping off loading docks. Very happy

It does help to have a group to ride with. Our group seems to inspire each other to try new things and go bigger. We all have different skill levels and different experience levels. The Mohawk brothers only did trail rides and stuff like that till they met us. We never rode walking trails or did the big jumps or much offroad till we met them. Now we are all certifiable maniacs together. You should see the stuff that doesn't get on the videos. poser2
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Here is a couple of pics cause the vids go by so fast it is sometimes difficult to appreciate the scale of things or the lunacy involved. droooool cripple

Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 SumoHooligans1

Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 SumoHooligans2
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 3:47 pm

I dig it. I've already got hell bent for stout hand guards and sliders (that have been used once already). My bike is no show queen. I've crashed hard a few times already offroad and it shows. I think I might roll up to cycle gear and try on some hooligan lids tonight, got invited for a trail ride on Monday anyways... so it's about time to get one.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:02 pm

well, now I've got an offroad helmet, goggles, and a CE armor suite... guess it's time to huck gnar.
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 9:47 pm

We rode a really cool location last night. It is a deserted housing complex that is being readied to be buldozed. However at this point it looks like a ghost town where the aliens swooped in and adbucted everyone. There are even curtains in the windows of all the houses. It is a wee bit creepy but a whole lot of fun fun to ride in because you can go anywhere.
Back to top Go down
ryn930

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 pm

There a ramp hiding back there or did you seriously get that much height off a curb? Has that curb got a slope to it or a square edge?
Back to top Go down
ryn930

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 pm

just stacked an old pallet up against the curb. I'll get some better shots from the entire night up soon!
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 am

I got stock suspention, how should I change it to start doing jumps and loading docks???
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 8:53 am

I would strongly suggest sending your rear shock for a re-valve. It isn't too expensive for just the rear and it will react in a much safer way than stock on jumps.

I sent mine to fastbike and it was worth every penny for the cornering stability and the predictability on jumps, curb/log crossings, etc. It's only tried to buck me off once since the re-valve and that was because I didn't get my ass far enough off the seat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism   Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Stairs & Urban Warfare - Hooliganism
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2