Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

forks stiff

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
michiko

forks stiff Empty
PostSubject: forks stiff   forks stiff EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:18 am

looking for advise on fork set up.
the problem
my forks are set up at the softest settings for rebound and compression but despite this they do not move very much at all. doing jumps etc they do not bottom out. which is great? but they feel way stiffer than i would like.
my weight is about 90kg all geared up. actually could be a little more. too much beer recently (mid-life crisis). as i said the forks are set to soft.

my theory is too much oil in the forks. i arrived at this conclusion just because the previous owner or shop put too much oil in the brakes, so much so the rear did not work at all.

im not into motorcross yet so i don't need a great set up. i prefer a little softer ride for the rocks. i mean whats the point in long springs if you dont use them.

so finally are there any other theories i should be considering?

i have purchased some fork oil and one of those measuring apparatus. the manual says to measure 105mm but ive read on the forum people setting 120mm.
what is the difference? am i right in thinking that 105 is going to be harder than 120mm or in other words the less oil the softer the ride.

thanks if anyone can help me out
Back to top Go down
Biglake

forks stiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: forks stiff   forks stiff EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 6:06 pm

Your on the right track.

The factory over filled the forks to 95 mm from the top, which makes them too stiff unless your 240 ponds like me. wink

Setting the oil 120 mm from the top will make the forks softer and is better than 105 mm for most people.

Use thinish oil to help it flow through the smallish valving in the forks, this is the other issue with these forks, the whole valving setup doesnt flow enough oil to deal with quick hard hits which makes them feel stiff/harsh but still bottom out like softer forks do.

Amsoil 5 wt oil is thinner than most other 5 wt oils and makes these forks smoother.

If you need seals, skf seals have less stickion/friction and makes the forks a little smoother again.

So the short version for plusher better working forks without getting a revalve use SKF fork seals and amsoil 5 wt fork oil 120 mm from the top. thumb
Back to top Go down
michiko

forks stiff Empty
PostSubject: thanks biglake   forks stiff EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 11:16 pm

thanks biglake

Interesting racetech recommend 110mm
Back to top Go down
Biglake

forks stiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: forks stiff   forks stiff EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 8:11 am

They recommended 120 mm for me along with some pretty stiff .52 springs, they dont set every bike up the same.

I have my oil set at 120mm with normal 5 wt oil not the thinner amsoil I recommended, have the stock springs shortened 20 or 25 mm so they're somewheres between .50 and .52, have gold valves with kinda stiff valving and skf seals, I put myself in their system as a agressive expert.

My setup works good for me, im 240 and slam into stuff so I like my bike stiffer than most, I find it a lot smoother than stock but anyone under 200 pounds finds it stiff so I recommend a softer setup to others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

forks stiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: forks stiff   forks stiff Empty

Back to top Go down

forks stiff
Page 1 of 1