Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil, oil and more oil

Go down 
+74
Chief_Lee_Visceral
zone47
David Haynes
taoshum
Mr.Metal
Jomamaha
Jersey Devil
mattf
Medski
Dana44
xcel
Dancamp
X-Racer
mash100
Matty
Midnite171
WRXer
njbill
BlueAngel
ed29
Max Pwr
Crawdaddy
10Cup
Tammy
wilburj
greer
bash3r
duanew
marty
sswrx
craigq
asheville thumper
edteamslr
ramz
carlt828
PonchoV
YZEtc
garman
Jäger
mfrankpdx
1moreroad
Navajib
edwardhill1995
ZED
motokid
X-RoadRider
skierd
inspector
flatblack80
PQRS...
wahilde
mtb
SpiritWolf15
Chrispy1200
northshore
Machtig
joups
WeaveR
King Wolf
mwakey
oldirt
Reschly
f3joel
flatboarder
Chadx
SheWolf
Bob
BPG
zrider
Don T
Louisbiker
proview
eastcoastzigzag
boogn1sh
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
X-Racer

X-Racer

Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Quote :
I used YammiLube to begin with and now use WolfsHead 15/40.

Hi-jacker incoming: Maybe it's a co-ink-e-dink , but is there some 'Wolf'-like theme throughout this entire site ?

* wondering what 'wolf' thing is next *
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 3:34 pm

About the bleeding I don't know if it has anything to do with the oil jet beneath the piston. If it does, neglecting to do the bleeding could mean shorter engine life.

The filter is so small that I change it every time I change the oil. And if you change the oil often as long as you have the good grade it's ok. It's not the oil that damages the engine, it's what's in suspension in it.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Well, I will go for the full synthetic and replace the filter every time. However, I'm going to have to read up a little bit on the bleeder thingy.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:11 pm

X-Racer wrote:
Quote :
I used YammiLube to begin with and now use WolfsHead 15/40.

Hi-jacker incoming: Maybe it's a co-ink-e-dink , but is there some 'Wolf'-like theme throughout this entire site ?

* wondering what 'wolf' thing is next *

Funny enuf, I was looking for 15/40, and have always been a die hard
Chevron Delo 400 fan. Sadly we can't use it because the moly count is
too high. The truck shop had this stuff, so I wrote in to the
engineering dept and asked about the moly count. I was told that they
don't use it in their oil, and it can be used in JASO applications. It
was quite a bit cheaper than the Rotella, so I grabbed some. Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 61865

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat May 15, 2010 2:47 am

Midnite171 wrote:
Ok, So I am ready to do my first oil change on my WRR (about 500 miles on it). Ok for $5 I can get the standard Yamalube, for $10 I can get the Yamalube semi-synth and for $15 I can get the Yamalube full synthetic. And of course with our bikes taking a little over a quart, you gotta buy 2 quarts. My question is; should I really go with the full synthetic?

I wouldn't want to try and claim a definitive answer. I do know that at $18/gallon at Wallsmart, Rotella 5-40 synthetic is cheap. And, it is a very good oil. For whatever extra it costs me over the less expensive stuff, I'll stick with the Rotella.

I'm also not scared of changing oil really frequently. It's not like the cost of an oil change is wallet crushing...
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat May 15, 2010 9:14 am

Call me silly, but in the past I seem to buy the oil that is made by the bike bike I am putting the oil in. Right now, I'm going with the best Yamalube out there.

And question; what's with the bleeder? What is recommended I do with it?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat May 15, 2010 10:13 am

Pretend it's a head bolt and don't bother playing with it. More ppl have had problems with it leaking than the trouble it's worth. They say to loosen it enuf so that air will purge out and then once the oil comes to close it off. Its'a PITA and causes more an unnecessary mess if you don't tighten it enuf, or too much.

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat May 15, 2010 10:33 am

Hi All:

I still do not have either the owners or service manual but what is the spec per the manual for oil weight(s) across a given temperature range (there is a chart shown in the owner’s manual, right?) and oil change service intervals? The manual's spec for initial change and then miles/months between each consecutive is what has me asking the questions after reading this thread?

PS: I am a big fan of Mobil1 Synthetic for its low Kinematic Viscosity while still meeting OEM requirements for proper lubrication over extended service intervals.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
Dana44

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:01 pm

The WR got it's first oil and filter change at 50 miles.
Second oil change at 300 and I'm about to change it again at 600 miles. I'll keep 300 mi intervals until the metal flakes subside.

Just out of curiosity you guys use synthetic or Dino?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Dana44 wrote:
The WR got it's first oil and filter change at 50 miles.
Second oil change at 300 and I'm about to change it again at 600 miles. I'll keep 300 mi intervals until the metal flakes subside.

Just out of curiosity you guys use synthetic or Dino?

Dude....it's not a KTM Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 810411

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Dana44

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Is it that obvious my last 3 bikes were KTM's? Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 93746
Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 Ktm09007Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 Apr2010009Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 Filters012

I'm still using dino for now, 1/2 case left than I'll switch over to amsoil.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:21 pm

300 mile oil changes is not necessary. It's wasteful.

But hey...it's your time and money.

But you don't need to.

Yamaha says 3000 mile oil changes. Not 300.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Dana44

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:32 am

I can see why it might seem wasteful to change oil and filters so often during break in.

I'm used to bikes with oversized Wiesco pistons,HotCams,big valves and carbs that absolutely require special break in on a fresh rebuild.
Done properly they can be pushed to redline over and over all day long for years. Inproperly broken in it will lose compression after 1 race.

My break in regiment is definitly not the same as yamahas.

First 10-15 minutes of run time on a new or freshly bored engine are just idle adjustment and warm up to operating temp.
After cool down and inspection for leaks I ride through all the gears at alternating 1/4 to 3/4 throttle for 30-40 minutes then let it cool down again.
3rd run is the fun part where I push it to redline in 3rd, 4th and 5th for short blasts and get it nice and hot. I like to see the exhaust maniflod change color at the first bend. Next is a long cool down ride with a big grin.

Change oil and filter and good to go. This is all within the first 50 miles. The motor is now ready to ride, rings are mated to the cylinder walls and everytning has seen high RPM and pressure without leaking. The transmission may take 1,000 miles or more to fully mesh and stop shedding metal.

Usually retourqe the headbolts and check the timing chain tension and adjust the valves after the redline ride but this is a new bike.

I'm not reccomending folks to go out and redline thier new WR or wifes Jetta, just sharing what I've done to break in my own engines with new pistons.

I use Valvoline 30 weight for the first 3 oil changes then switch to Amsoil 10w40 synthetic. Same regiment KTM's factory race mechanics use.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 10:06 am

I ran the Yamalube for the first 3 changes until there were no flakes, now I run a semi 15/40 and the bike seems to like it.

Medski

PostSubject: oil type   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Syntec, semi syntec, mineral?

Also Manual says 10w-30, will it be damaged if i put semi syntec 10w-50 in it?
Bought oil from dealership before i got a hold of the manua and thats what they gave me.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Practically any 4-stroke oil on your dealer's shelf will be OK.
I'm using Yamalube Full-Synthetic 15W-50, myself.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 8:53 pm

I've used yamalube on every change, I'm running 20w-50 right now. I run 10W-40 when it's cooler.
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Generally your advertised mileage and performance is based on using a certain type of oil. Wether it be 20, 30 or 50 wt. that would be the one the manufacturer recomends for service for your vehicle.
What type people perfer to use and what they feel is best is their own choice and it does vary by riding habits and eviroments.
In my WRR I use AMSOIL 10W30 synthetic motorcycle oil. And since I buy it at discount why not, right?
2nd to that is the YAMALUBE 4(20W40).
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 12:40 am

I'm running Wolf's Head 15/40 semi. Get it bulk and the bike seems to like it. thumb

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 9:42 am

Shell Rotella 15W40, it was on sale. Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 93746 After that it'll be Shell Rotella 5W40; that was on sale too Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 163123
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:34 am

One thread on oil <--- clicky

and another <-- clicky

one more <--- clickity

more <--- yep

really - another one? <-- uh huh

There's other threads too...it gets kind confusing since everyone has different opinions and philosophies

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 12:34 pm

It is the lack of searching for an existing thread that has created so many on one subject. I know I am guilty of it myself but I try to search for an existing thread before creating another one.
Any way a moderator can shift all of them back around to one topic?
May help with capacity on the server too.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 1:50 pm

The search feature doesn't work, or at least it didn't the last time I tried to use it.

Amsoil 10w40 here.

Last edited by skierd on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Jersey Devil wrote:
It is the lack of searching for an existing thread that has created so many on one subject. I know I am guilty of it myself but I try to search for an existing thread before creating another one.

Actually, if you type "oil" into the forum's search feature you get no hits. Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 640571

I asked about it here<---clicky

It appears you may need more than 3 letters for the search feature to work??? Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 9356

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:50 pm

That would be the reason, yes. Too general for the search monkey. Very happy

eeek Holy crap 9 topics just on oil. Also merged 4 topics on oil filters. Looks like chain cleaning is next. cripple
Thanks for the links Moto, it helped with the merging. thumb
Oil is now a sticky. cheers

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil, oil and more oil
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Oil and Filters-
Jump to: