Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil, oil and more oil

Go down 
+74
Chief_Lee_Visceral
zone47
David Haynes
taoshum
Mr.Metal
Jomamaha
Jersey Devil
mattf
Medski
Dana44
xcel
Dancamp
X-Racer
mash100
Matty
Midnite171
WRXer
njbill
BlueAngel
ed29
Max Pwr
Crawdaddy
10Cup
Tammy
wilburj
greer
bash3r
duanew
marty
sswrx
craigq
asheville thumper
edteamslr
ramz
carlt828
PonchoV
YZEtc
garman
Jäger
mfrankpdx
1moreroad
Navajib
edwardhill1995
ZED
motokid
X-RoadRider
skierd
inspector
flatblack80
PQRS...
wahilde
mtb
SpiritWolf15
Chrispy1200
northshore
Machtig
joups
WeaveR
King Wolf
mwakey
oldirt
Reschly
f3joel
flatboarder
Chadx
SheWolf
Bob
BPG
zrider
Don T
Louisbiker
proview
eastcoastzigzag
boogn1sh
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:49 am

Reading in this topic because I have 8500 miles with mostly 10W40 Mobil 1 4T. My OCI has only made it over 1000 miles twice I think because the bike went swimming or got so dirty you figure some if it got into the oil. But the couple times I have left the oil in, I notice the transmission getting notchy. Changing the oil restores smooth shifting and catching an accidental neutral less often. Am I the only one that notices this?

Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 7:52 pm

I think that sometimes we put more attention to oil than to the air filter.

Changing oil often whatever the oil shouldn't hurt the engine. So the cheapest oil that you change frequently is better than the best oil that you change every now and then.

Air filter is a much more important part. The fine parts are the one that are grinding the combustion chamber. Since the environment in which a dual purpose bike is usually very different one day from the other, the care of the air filter is much more important.

Specific attention to oil is more important when you're on the track or any competition.

Back to top Go down
essadv

essadv

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 am

For riding in cold weather say down to 10F with highs temps of 50F would it be better to run a 10w30 or 10w40?
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: filters get better for a while   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 5:11 pm

I really appreciate all the sane and respectful discussion that is going on here. Three cheers for all. thumb

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention is that filters get better after collecting some of the particles into the pores in the filter material. All screens, whether they are paper or metal are made to a tolerance and there will be bigger holes and smaller holes than the average (specification) bell curve middle. When those bigger holes get full of a particle the filter does a progressively better job at filtering until the screen clogs and the pressure to push the substance (oil, water, air) through is too great and either the bypass functions or there is starvation downstream of the filter. That is the reason that I have read or heard as the reasoning for leaving a filter in for more than one oil change. Never heard advocated for leaving it more than 2 cycles of oil though.

I would never do that in a new engine because, as seen in several of the pictures, there are a lot of particles that need to be filtered out during the break-in. After that period, if you were not riding a lot of dirt or dusty conditions, and you were changing oils at regular intervals it seems to me that it would provide even better filtering of even finer particles.

What I don't know is if there is a good bypass system built into this engine or if it is one of those engine designs that filters only a portion of the oil that is being moved through the oil pump. More educated minds will need to wax poetic on that! wink Brilliant commentary any one....

Jon
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 10:38 am

Can't believe I be readin da whole thang....
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: I know this is an "old" thread   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Bike: 2010 WR250X  w/ 3206km.

I picked up a K&N oil filter (KN-140) and some Motul 7100 Ester 10W40 100% synthetic oil.
The manual says not to use "too good of an oil", but I've always used Motul in my motocrosses and couldn't resist.

They say it has "wet clutch anti-slipping technology".

What do you guys think? That oil should be ok in the bike right?

Last edited by Evol on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed dead link)
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 8:36 am

I didn't get to ride very much last summer (learner's permit) but just to update on the Motul 7100 Ester 10W40 100% synthetic oil.....I like it. Engine and clutch both feel good. I'll continue using it.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Well, I did about 3000 miles this summer and just did my yearly oil change... Very happy
I used the "same" K&N oil filter (KN-140) and 1.3L of Motul 7100 Ester 10W40 100% synthetic oil again since the bike ran great all summer with this combo.
I figure I'll change the filter every time since they are fairly cheap and I run the full interval.
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 7:16 pm

I've been running the Shell Rotella T6 synthetic with the same K&N filter you're using. The oil looks great every time I check it. I live right at the base of the Pine Nut Mtns and frequently climb 2-3,000 vertical feet with a good load on the bike and no level ground for relief. I'm not running WOT except on tough hill climbs, but I'm not babying the engine/oil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil, oil and more oil
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Oil and Filters-
Jump to: