Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil, oil and more oil

Go down 
+74
Chief_Lee_Visceral
zone47
David Haynes
taoshum
Mr.Metal
Jomamaha
Jersey Devil
mattf
Medski
Dana44
xcel
Dancamp
X-Racer
mash100
Matty
Midnite171
WRXer
njbill
BlueAngel
ed29
Max Pwr
Crawdaddy
10Cup
Tammy
wilburj
greer
bash3r
duanew
marty
sswrx
craigq
asheville thumper
edteamslr
ramz
carlt828
PonchoV
YZEtc
garman
Jäger
mfrankpdx
1moreroad
Navajib
edwardhill1995
ZED
motokid
X-RoadRider
skierd
inspector
flatblack80
PQRS...
wahilde
mtb
SpiritWolf15
Chrispy1200
northshore
Machtig
joups
WeaveR
King Wolf
mwakey
oldirt
Reschly
f3joel
flatboarder
Chadx
SheWolf
Bob
BPG
zrider
Don T
Louisbiker
proview
eastcoastzigzag
boogn1sh
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
mtb

mtb

Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 9:04 am

Here's my personal oil change history wink

1. First oil changed performed around 600KM... Because the local dealer provides 2 free services for brand new bikes, I did my first oil change at the dealer (I am glad that I did as it helped in claiming the fuel pump under warranty wink )... It was some Shell semi-syn oil, and an oil filter

2. Second oil change was at 1309KM.. and this time I dumped in fully syn without filter change... I was using the red colour bottle in the pic (800)
Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 900800oil

I used this oil for oil changes until I hit the 6000KM mark... and the average interval was 1500KM... I had nothing special to complain about this oil, so I guess it performed well

Then I changed my sprocket to 45 at 6249KM, as well as changed my EO to Repsol
Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 0000_Repsol_Lubricants_4T_Racing

I loved it initially... Shifting was smooth and engine response was pretty decent... but once it was close to 1000KM, I could feel the roughness, both in shifting and revving...

So after 2 oil changes (which were performed at 7226KM and 8207KM indicated), I changed to Motul 3100 Semi
Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 T1OqVXXgFjCkAunCfa_121933

With the 3100, revving was easier, but shifting was not as smooth...

So when I reached 10000KM indicated, I decided to try Maxima Ultra
Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 Maxum_ultra_5w40

I chose the 5W40 because I am worried that the little 250 will face more drag... Right now I am using this for about 100KM only, and one track session... All I can conclude now is that the engine sounds smoother and revving was piece of cake (As a personal experience, when I was on the 3100 and rev the engine on 3rd gear, I could feel a little flat spot when the RPM climbed... on the other hand, the the Maxima, I felt that the power delivery was more linear)... However, I am not sure how long this Maxima is going to last scratch

I am not an expert in oil nor advertising for brands, so please don't shoot... I am merely sharing my personal reviews wink
Back to top Go down
PQRS...

PQRS...

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 am

ive been using yamalube... i figure ya cant go wrong using what the manufacturer calls for. the stuff is expensive tho! im in nc, so its hot here, i tried 20-50 and didnt like it, the bike felt slower and the clutch seemed grabby.. i went back to 10-50 and all seems good. freaky
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:40 am

I'm still using rotella t 15-40.
Just passed 6,000 miles yesterday.
Back to top Go down
edwardhill1995

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 8:07 pm

I've been using Pro Honda GN4 10W-40 oil at 600,800,1000,2700,3700,5200 and 6500 miles all with a new HiFlo Filtro HF141 oil filter every change.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 7:25 am

I wonder if my local stealership will have the proper oil filter in stock, or if they'll have to order one for me? dddog

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:41 am

motokid wrote:
I wonder if my local stealership will have the proper oil filter in stock, or if they'll have to order one for me? dddog

Do they have yammies at all?

The oil filter is rather common... shared by quite a number of different bikes...

btw the part number is 5D3-13440-00 (I have one in the box right in front of me wink )
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 am

Yep. They are a big conglomeration of all japanese bikes, along with KTM thrown in to boot.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Navajib

Navajib

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Motul 3000 here w K&N Oil Filter every oil change.

I'm gonna try a different brand next oil change for comparison purposes. At least, try something new. But those two have been good to be and all my bikes. thumb
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:03 pm

IIRC it is the same oil filter as the WR250F.

As far as oil, I just use Kawasaki or Yamaha dino.

No oil usage at all.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:05 pm

I went with:

Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 Mcv_qt_640phx

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:55 am

I used to use Amsoil in the transmission of my Unimog until I started getting dealer pricing on Royal Purple. There are differences, but I think they are on par. Now I use Royal Purple in everything.

I think Synthetic is the key, whatever your brand. One VW racer I knew used to tell how he would have to tear down his engine after every race. Then he started using Canadian-Tire Semi-Synthetic motor oil (this is like budget priced synthetic) and his engine's were good for two races. Upon his recommendation I switched to their synthetic grease in my grease gun too and what a difference that made in things.
Back to top Go down
mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Rotella 15W-40, almost 7k miles.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 am

King Wolf wrote:
So does anyone have a 2009 WR250R/X? And could you check and see what the manual says for oil?
Just wondering if its the same at a 2008...since its seems like Yamalube 20w-40 is no longer made/sold.

You can download multiple versions of manuals for 08 and 09 - in addition to your personal manual. Suffice it to say, the oil chart for the '08 in the UK manual is not the same as the oil chart for the '08 in the US. It gives six different oil choices for six different temperature ranges.

How's that for clearing things up.
Back to top Go down
garman

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 5:50 pm

I've been using valvoline 10/40 4 stoke in my 08 WRX, it runs strong and shifts smooth.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 pm

The 2009 WR-250R Owner's Manual recommends 10/40 as choice number one, although there's a chart showing what weight oils are OK at what ambient temperatures.
Basically, it's the same gig as it's been for years in Yamaha Owner's Manuals, but with a twist:

After years of having kinda' oddball oil weights (20/40 only at first since the 1970s, and then 10/30 was added in the mid 1990s) in the Yamalube line, the Yamalube oils were changed to more common 10/40 and 20/50 just a couple of years ago.
So, where for ages the charts in the manuals would show 10/30 and 20/40, now they recommend 10/40 and 20/50.

These are the Yamalube non-synthetic oils, by the way.
They also offer semi-synthetics and full synthetics is other weights like 10/50 and 15/50.
They're all OK to use in your WR.

Myself, since I'm using Silkolene Pro 4 15/50 synthetic in my DR-Z400SM and always have some around, I'm also using it in my WR-250R.
However, I don't believe you have to use gucci oil in your WR, but it sure can't hurt. :)
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 11:08 pm

I put 5w40 yamalube semi-syn in today, the bike is definitely much much happier with this than the ?w50 Spectro I had in it. I'll be switching to Rotella synthetic when I get back from my trip.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Recently I sold my 08 KLR w/ over 30,000 miles. Owned it for 14 months. New owner will continue use of this same oil. After break in(600 mi.) I went to Rotella T syn. 5w-40. Use the same oil in my turbo deisel v6 Benz truck & in my Jetta Tubro deisel w/ over 120,000 miles. I use it cause it is cheap & it is turbo rated. Our wet clutches don't require oil w/ a lot of super slick additives. I like the thin start up oil of a 5w; deisel motors run hot & they are dirty inside. This oil will keep things clean & not break down as dinos can & do when put under high use at high temp.
Our little high reving 250 gets only a little drink of oil for its monthly or when ever changed. I would change it when is starts to get dirty. I am betting this oil is nearly to good for this Yamaha. But it will be treated like a queen in the garage & a slut when on the trails, yes I will put her up wet.

Relax riders, you are going to do fine by your 250s, just keep it fresh inside.
Back to top Go down
carlt828

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 7:34 pm

motokid wrote:
I went with:

Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 Mcv_qt_640phx

Hi, Noob here, been lurking around here for a few days. I haven't bought a WR yet, but when I do, I'll use this stuff too. I've ran it in my ZRX1200r since I bought it. 01 bought in 03 with 11k miles. Now it has 128k miles and is still going strong. It doesn't use any oil unless it's really hot and I run the snot out of it chasing or leading "sport bikes" in the tight twisties. Oh yeah, I change it and the filter every 5k whether it needs it or not. Very happy

Just my .02 and ymmv. Now where's the salt? lurk
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Oil Change Schedules?   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:58 am

Here's a pic to start the discussion:

Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 Imgp5910

Filter on the left was changed at TWENTY MILES. Yamalube out; Yamalube in. Very nice aluminum metallic sheen to make the oil so pretty looking.

Filter in the middle was changed at 400 miles. Yamalube out, Delo 15/40 in. Still some aluminum metallic sheen to the oil.

Filter on the right was changed at 1000 miles. Delo out, Rotella T Synthetic 5/40 in. Metallic sheen pretty much gone, still some swirls to the oil.

Meanwhile, Yamaha says you don't have to make that first oil change until 600 miles, and then every 3000 miles after that. Well, those filters (in my mind) seem to disagree with current Yamaha maintenance theories. I still have about half a litre of oil from each oil change. I'm tempted to pour the oil from each change through a laboratory paper filter and see what the end results look like.

Ummmm... I don't think I'll be waiting that long, ever, for an oil change. Not when about a litre and a half of oil costs so little, along with about $11 in a new oil filter and oil rings every other oil change is similarly so little.

What are everyone else's thoughts regarding when they change their oil, how often they change the filter and O rings along with the oil, etc.?
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 am

Quote :
Filter on the left ... Very nice aluminum metallic sheen to make the oil so pretty looking.

Filter in the middle ... Still some aluminum metallic sheen to the oil.

Filter on the right ... Metallic sheen pretty much gone, still some swirls to the oil.

...those filters (in my mind) seem to disagree with current Yamaha maintenance theories.
So what exactly do those filters tell you? I can't make out what you could possibly be talking about. Not being rude, just needing clarification.

My chosen schedule is: change oil and filter every 2,000 miles, o-rings as needed. Easy to keep track of on the odometer. Interval is longer than any other bike I've ever owned, but well within suggested Yamaha interval.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:41 am

No need to be abrupt. Its a commendable observation. His implication here is clear, the darker the filter, the more grime it has captured.

People obsess about oil but without claiming to be able to second guess Yamaha I would say that all WR250rs are probably like that. Meaning that this is exactly as Yamaha intend. But thankyou for spending an oil and filter change to show us (and give you piece of mind).
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 am

20 miles??? eeek What made you change the oil at 20 miles?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:58 am

You could argue that changing the oil at any less than the manufacturer's recommended mileage is a waste of time and money therefore 20miles (for the 600) or 2000miles (for the 4000mile/6month service), it doesn't matter. Without any concrete evidence (backed up by hard facts, not just the emotive "dark oil = bad for engine") They're both early Very happy (Oh and oilfilter doesn't need replacing every service)

[Yam service manual LIT-11616-21-66; 32C-28197-10 WR250RX(C) and WR250XX(C) 2008]
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 am

I subscribe to the theory that the engineers of the bike engine know more about whats good for the life of the engine than the people who ride it. That being said, my oil changes have been at 500, 1500, 3000, 5000....Yamulube and new filter every time. I don't think it is a bad idea to change oil often, but I don't think it is needed either. Most people quote the maintenance intervals of the bike as being one of the big reasons they purchased it, but then they want to apply a KTM like schedule to maintenance. Again, it's one of those things, if it bothers you change it early and often (doesn't cost much), if not, pick a schedule and stick to it!!
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 am

asheville thumper wrote:
I subscribe to the theory that the engineers of the bike engine know more about whats good for the life of the engine than the people who ride it. That being said, my oil changes have been at 500, 1500, 3000, 5000....Yamulube and new filter every time. I don't think it is a bad idea to change oil often, but I don't think it is needed either. Most people quote the maintenance intervals of the bike as being one of the big reasons they purchased it, but then they want to apply a KTM like schedule to maintenance. Again, it's one of those things, if it bothers you change it early and often (doesn't cost much), if not, pick a schedule and stick to it!!

Contradictory: if Yamaha knows what Yamaha knows best and you have no firm evidence to the contrary, why go against their recommendation and change it early? Surely opening up a sealed system more often could actually introduce dirt into that system that may prove more damaging than not changing it and you're still happy to do it? [extreme example Suspect ]. If you were told that oil changes could quite happily go to 5000miles would you still change early or wait until say 2500? What if you are factoring in something that Yamaha have already factored in!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil, oil and more oil   Oil, oil and more oil - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil, oil and more oil
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Oil and Filters-
Jump to: