Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cranks, Can hear pump....no start

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sophijo

Cranks, Can hear pump....no start Empty
PostSubject: Cranks, Can hear pump....no start   Cranks, Can hear pump....no start EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 6:19 pm

2011 WR250R
Nice 100 mile ride last week..no problems.
This week, after having two heart stents installed, half hour job through wrist BTW (!) wanted short ride bad!
Bike cranks strong. I believe I can hear pump working but no ignition.
Diagnosis strategies appreciated!
BTW I ordered a new pump just in case...ebay cheapy.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Cranks, Can hear pump....no start   Cranks, Can hear pump....no start EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Well sometimes my WRR is cranky whenever I don't ride it for awhile and there has been a pretty significant change in the temps.

So when that happens I crank it with the throttle wide open for like 30 seconds. Then wait 10 seconds and try to crank normally. I keep repeating this and eventually during the wide open throttle cranking it will begin to sputter and finally catch. Make sure your battery is good first.

Sometimes I have done a bump start and that has worked too.

My DL650 does the same damn thing if I haven't ridden it in awhile. Not sure if it is a engine calibration issue or if the fuel lines have air in them from sitting.

My CB500X however starts whenever I think about touching the started button.
Back to top Go down
CaptTurbo

PostSubject: Re: Cranks, Can hear pump....no start   Cranks, Can hear pump....no start EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Your pump might be going if the sound is vague. A healthy pump is pretty loud. I just replaced the pump on my build date 1/08 serial #723 at 6400 miles. I used a German made pump from ebay. Separating the plastic cage was no fun but I managed and the pump is strong. After replacing the pump it still wouldn't start. It cranked, farted, and backfired but wouldn't catch. That left me confused since I knew the old pump was shot because it wouldn't even cycle. The new one sounds like a tiger. Well, I know the spark plug in the bike was old so I dropped a new one in and she sprang to life with a push of the button. The old plug looked fine in every way but it was shot.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: New pump and plug   Cranks, Can hear pump....no start EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 9:44 pm

New fuel pump (ebay $19) and iridium plug installed. Runs like a champ!
Back to top Go down
CaptTurbo

PostSubject: Re: Cranks, Can hear pump....no start   Cranks, Can hear pump....no start EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:18 pm

sophijo wrote:
New fuel pump (ebay $19) and iridium plug installed. Runs like a champ!
If I was going to go that cheap on the pump, I would have bought at least two. I'm hoping the German built ebay pump I bought is better then the factory component but I did buy a new old stock complete factory unit just to hedge my bet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cranks, Can hear pump....no start   Cranks, Can hear pump....no start Empty

Back to top Go down

Cranks, Can hear pump....no start
Page 1 of 1