Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..

Go down 
+3
RimBenty
YZEtc
TheAgavePrince
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TheAgavePrince

WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. Empty
PostSubject: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello all.

Nearing the end of my trip, and have had near-biblical rains over the last week here in Colombia. The WRR sat uncovered for most of it (I know i`m a bad owner). Generally I have a breather-tube stuck on the gas cap to the Safari tank, but it had blown off the previous week.
Was going to leave town Monday, but the WRR will not fire-up. I thought some water must have gotten in the tank (through the Safari gas cap). I`ve done the following:
- Dump gas out of tank, filter, retry.
- Dump gas out of tank, replace with fresh gas (as fresh as one can get here), retry.
- Check spark plug; a bit dirty, but no build-up and sparks. Replaced with fresh one anyway. Double-check spark, spark is good.
- Oil looks good, not milky or frothy, though it wouldn`t have mixed much as it hasn`t run, only cranked (a bunch)
- Today had a local mechanic look at it. Pulled the throttle body and injector, cleaned, tested. Looked over most connections for cleanliness and tightness. Still won`t start. He thinks the problm is electric; i`m not sure why, as my Spanish is not very good.

So I have spark, the pump comes on and pumps, the injector works, and it cranks, but won`t fire up.
Sometimes when I twist the throttle a bit while cranking, in addition to the starter, I get a few low ¨thump, thump, thumps¨, but it doesn´t sound like its combusting.

Im in a small town here (Taganga), but tommorrow will load the bike into a truck and head to the next town over which should have some more modern mechanics, and fresh-er (i.e. not out of a coke bottle) gasoline.

Any ideas I could bring with me?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Have you inspected the air filter?
Back to top Go down
TheAgavePrince

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:14 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Have you inspected the air filter?

It´s pretty dirty. Will clean it and re-oil at the shop tommorrow. I did put the spare one on (dry) for a quick test with the same results.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 7:06 pm

A quick test I use to see if it s a fuel delivery problem is to see if it will fire using starting fluid.
If it fires you have a fuel problem if not check out the ignition. If it backfires out the carb or in the exhaust the timing is off.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 6:21 am

Rain=corrosion= what about that sidestand switch?

Edit: I might need to back up. I'm thinking a bad switch won't allow the bike to crank over.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
TheAgavePrince

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Side-stand switch is functional as normal. The Yamaha shop here will look at it Monday. Ive been trying to find some starter fluid but am having trouble sourcing it here. Poured straight gas in the spark plug hole but still wouldnt fire. Waiting till Monday...
Back to top Go down
TheAgavePrince

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Looks like it was the gas after all. Replaced the gas again with fresh gas, changed oil (a bit of water in it), and really cranked on it for awhile, and she finally lit up. Unforutnately no oil filters here so will have to swap out in Cartagena (only a few hours from here).
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Glad you got it to go finally. Be safe. freaky
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 6:02 am

Good! Thanks for posting back.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 12:35 am

AgavePrince: Well.... Think about it. It (the real problem) wasn't the gas at all was it ?

There are several cheap and easy solutions that will keep you from having to go through that again.

Bike covers also serve as theft deterrents.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:40 pm

the new gas sucks,used to use stabil. changed to startron,my gas problems have gone away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..   WRR not firing-up.  Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else.. Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR not firing-up. Pumps, cranks and sparks but nada else..
Page 1 of 1