Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1moreroad

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride Empty
PostSubject: Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride   Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 pm

Cross posted on Sport-Touring.net. The WR-X makes a decent mini-touring bike. I carried a gas can on the right side of that large tail bag, but I never filled it. It might have been easier to fill it -- at one point I took a 15 mile detour to get gas. Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 986936

Tuesday I hit the road for an overnight trip. It turns out that this was about the best time to go for a ride.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035206838_ec3e38a255_o

In September we had almost 12” of rain. In the first two weeks of October we’ve already had 7” of rain. This past weekend was sunny but the temperature was near freezing around here and probably below freezing in some places in the Arkansas hills. Today it’s raining, but for two days I had (mostly) sun and moderate temperatures. Just 10 miles from home and I already found a new road.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035205060_42a8bbcde8

It turned to dirt, but that’s okay with this bike. I would mix paved, gravel, and dirt roads throughout the entire trip.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035207102_5245b38363_o

I dropped down into the Mississippi Delta where they’re grading the roads, but not paving them.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035207228_e4ab116e17_o

Farming cotton with a John Deere. Mississippi is expected to lose half its cotton (and soy and other) crop because of all the rain we’ve had at the worst times. Almost $400 million in farmers’ income lost. Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 342500

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034454157_d2bd795f92_o

I finally managed to catch a picture of the Arkansas sign over the river.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034465253_bf06ec9d9f

From Helena, I headed north into the St. Francis National Forest. It’s supposed to be a pleasant scenic route for touring bikes, but all I saw was fantastic gravel and dirt roads. Perfect for adventure-lite motorcycles. It’s just over the river, so I’ll have to explore more another time.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035204054_8ea11e5d8c

Meals were all about BARBECUE. This is a good little restaurant just south of I-40 in Forrest City. There were two Sheriffs and one city police car parked outside, so it had to be good.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034454459_cd1f7553d1

From Forrest City, I took the most direct route Garmin could find up to Mountain View (by way of route 14) where I stopped at the Dulcimer Shoppe for gifts for the family. I had a nice conversation with an older gentleman about the Indians, Harleys, and Hondas he has owned over the years. He had never ridden a dual sport bike, but he knew exactly what it was. Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 61865

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035207978_34115281f3_o

The ranger station in MV was out of maps of the Sylamore region of the Ozark National Forest, so from Mountain View I headed up route 87 to Blanchard Springs Caverns to see if they had any (they were out, too). As I climbed up into the National Forest, I got to leaf peep.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034452183_42117b695a

From the Caverns, I headed east (and down) to Sylamore Creek campground.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035208354_40b3ba10fb_o

I also picked up some wood at the office for the campfire.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034454907_4c291f0802_o

I rode up to Calico Rock by way of highway 9 and some county roads…

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034452513_20edbc94b3_o

…and returned on route 5, part of the Sylamore Scenic Byway.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034452513_20edbc94b3_o

I enjoyed the dying light and finished off the evening with a so-so BBQ plate at the Angler’s Inn and a campfire. I rose to the dawn…

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035206106_092c592502

…and headed back onto route 14, the other half of the Sylamore Scenic Byway.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034525121_a2d87d460d

I rode past Fifty-Six and up Gunner Pool road and along FS1102.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034451219_630a2aa8d0_o

The forest was beautiful.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035204412_2498422cc8

From there I rode up to Mountain Home for some gas before dropping down the famous Push Mountain Road. It was better than I remembered. In fact, it was so good, I didn’t stop for pictures. Just miles of corners signed at 25 and 30 mph. I dropped back into Mountain View on some county roads with a few creek crossings.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034451421_92df67911e

By the time I dropped back down to Mountain View, I had crisscrossed the Sylamore Forest.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035204186_85355c83dc_o

From Mountain View I headed to Pangburn for lunch. Barbeque again. :)

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034452925_2bb1ac2ba6

Not only did the restaurants in Forrest City and Pangburn have good barbeque – pulled pork with a sweet hickory BBQ sauce – they had extremely fast service and reasonable prices. From Pangburn it was time to start heading for home. After a little scare in Des Arcs where I put 1.84 gallons in my little 2.0 gallon peanut of a gas tank, I faced something I had never needed to before. The interstate on my little 250.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034453053_3d04503c3c_o

You get blown around a bit, but, speedwise, the bike did better than I expected. It was working hard, but it could keep up with traffic without any problems. I pulled off 14 miles later to head back to the US 49 bridge. In the interest of time, I skipped the St. Francis forest, but I did manage to ride a small section of the Trans America Trail in Mississippi.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035206528_4e4c3d1aff_o

I even rode one of the levees. You can see the Cold River on the right.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4035206684_5faa1f057d

Finally it was time to head home. In two days I put almost 700 miles on the little bike. It did just fine in all kinds of riding conditions. Ignore the maximum speed: that was a Garmin glitch. I don’t think this bike could go 140 miles per hour if you dropped it from a plane.

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride 4034452599_4dc47a8f77_o
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride   Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 3:04 pm

You look like you had a good trip. I wish that I could have gone with you. I have never been through Arkansas.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride   Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 pm

You over-nights make me jealous.

Nice AR
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride   Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 10:03 pm

Nice report & pics.. good to see another adventure 'x'!

I do miss the colors in the fall.. no hardwood forests around here.. we have a few oaks & some sumacs, aspens, etc, but nothing like the vast hardwoods in the midwest (and the northeast).

good call looking for the cops to show the best places to eat!

scotty Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride   Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride Empty

Back to top Go down

Sylamore Ozark National Forest overnight ride
Page 1 of 1