Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DS123

Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start Empty
PostSubject: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 8:40 pm

I just started modding my 14 wr250r and already managed to mess things up as the bike won't start after putting on new pro-taper bars and zeta hand-guards with integrated turn signals. I cut the stockers off and just wired the positive and negative to the zeta handguard turn signals. I did not hook up the daytime running wire. Dash lights up, turn signals work, rear brake light works but when I hit the starter button it does nothing, no clicks nothing. I'm assuming maybe it's because I cut the turn signal wiring when putting on the zeta hand guard turn signals?

Btw, I made sure the engine kill switch is on, kick stand is up and I tried holding in the clutch when starting it but the starter does not even activate.

Can anyone help? It's probably something stupid.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 9:29 pm

Check fuses? scratch
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 10:25 pm

just checked fuses and they are ok.
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 3:07 am

I did some research and it seems that the plug connected to the starter/kill switch comes loose when the handlebars are turned because the plug isn't fully seated (clicked in) from the factory, in other words it's a quality control issue dating back to 2008 models. Wtf Yamaha has not addressed this is beyond me. I checked the plug from the starter switch and sure enough it's unplugged! It's a common problem from what I read on the forums. How in the hell do you get the radiator out the way to get to the plug? The plastic deflector is in the way and the bolt to take the reflector off is impossible to get to. Do you have to remove all of the tubing to the radiator? I don't want to end up with air in my system or have to do a coolant change.

I feel like cussing out yamaha for STILL having this problem even on a 2014 model. Now I remember why I stuck with hondas previously. Thank God I didn;t get stranded out in mountains because of this bs.
Back to top Go down
BCRider

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 2:38 pm

DS123 wrote:
I did some research and it seems that the plug connected to the starter/kill switch comes loose when the handlebars are turned because the plug isn't fully seated (clicked in) from the factory, in other words it's a quality control issue dating back to 2008 models. Wtf Yamaha has not addressed this is beyond me. I checked the plug from the starter switch and sure enough it's unplugged! It's a common problem from what I read on the forums. How in the hell do you get the radiator out the way to get to the plug? The plastic deflector is in the way and the bolt to take the reflector off is impossible to get to. Do you have to remove all of the tubing to the radiator? I don't want to end up with air in my system or have to do a coolant change.

I feel like cussing out yamaha for STILL having this problem even on a 2014 model. Now I remember why I stuck with hondas previously. Thank God I didn;t get stranded out in mountains because of this bs.

This is unfortunate for sure - My '14 hasn't come loose to date, fingers crossed dunno

Post a vid on YT about this for the subs - you know I'll give ya a thumbs up thumb
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad to read that you got it figured out.

I understand your frustration, but with all due respect this is hardly a "common problem" with these bikes.  Yamaha has built and sold over 12,000 of these bikes since 2008, each with a couple dozen plug-in wiring connectors, and this issue is very rarely reported here or in the other WRR/X forums on Facebook, Thumpertalk, and ADVrider.

Not sure why you think Honda is a more reliable brand than Yamaha, but I'm pretty sure you won't find similar features and performance on Honda's less expensive CRF250L.

You might be interested to learn that Consumer Reports polled subscribers regarding motorcycle reliability in 2014 and again in 2015, reviewing a total of 17,000 motorcycles.  Yamaha was rated highest in reliability by owners in both years.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

https://rideapart.com/articles/most-reliable-motorcycles

Interestingly enough the most common problem, reported by 21% of owners in the first poll, was with "lights, instruments, switches and radios".

Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start 2014%2F02%2Fconsumer-reports
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 5:47 pm

BCRider wrote:
DS123 wrote:

This is unfortunate for sure - My '14 hasn't come loose to date, fingers crossed dunno

Post a vid on YT about this for the subs - you know I'll give ya a thumbs up thumb

I did a video but decided not post it yet because I want to wait until I unveil my newly modded wr250r. I'm still working on it. Thanks for being a viewer! I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 5:58 pm

My late brother owned many honda motorcycle and never once had a problem that wasn't his fault. I owned a cbr250r, cbr600rr and now a cbr1000rr and never once had an issue. The 2008 cbr600rr I bought used with 9k miles and kept in until 23k miles and the bike was flawless. Imo, Honda has the best quality control. Look at Honda's factory operations, video is on youtube, their attention to detail is outstanding. Honda is so anal that they make every employee on the floor wear white work suits and if they so much as get a spec of dirt on the white work suit they do a full investigation as to what happened.

I'm not saying yamaha is crap, just saying I feel honda has better quality. Imo, where honda sucks is not making exciting and innovative motorcycles. Honda is making too many bland bikes these days. Yamaha is a great company so no hate here, just wish they would pay attention to detail for every bike that comes off the assembly line. There could be many more bikes out there with loose plugs that just haven't come unplugged yet or people just don't report on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start   Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start Empty

Back to top Go down

Changed bars and put on handguards - now bike won't start
Page 1 of 1