Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Want changes made to the stock WR?

Go down 
+5
paulie1960
GusinCA
YZEtc
rarepartbuilder
Evol
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Want changes made to the stock WR? Empty
PostSubject: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Write here!

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Just spoke with a customer rep down there, and any requests for model changes, upgrades, etc need to go through snail mail. They only take new model requests that way. No email, no phone calls, only written snail mail. That goes right to Yamaha, and if they get enough requests they'll consider bringing models to the states (that exist in another market) or consider making changes to an existing model. I'm going to write them shortly and request a WR350R. Think it would be THE option versus an orange machine. Same reliability, probably not much extra weight, just more capable overall. Oh, and FIX THE DAMN SHOCK. If they could build a WR350R for $7K, I'd jump on it. I really want a 36-40HP dual sport with great service intervals. Doesn't need to have 46HP like the orange and white/blue crowd and cost $10.5K.

The more people that write, the more likely it is that it will happen. Some time and a stamp to mail it, then maybe things will change for the U.S. bikes. A 350+cc model would be a smackdown on the CRF-L and a lot of other legacy dual sports like the DR, DRZ, KLR, etc. Keep it under 300 lbs, keep the agility, just beef the motor up and give it a bit better suspension.

Maybe even keep the 250 model and make a 350-450 version as a second bike. Cover the bases.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 8:53 pm

While I agree, I would go try to get the WR450 in street legal trim here in North America like they have in Australia, etc... The bike is done, just import that version here !!!!
It would be minimal investment cost to Yamaha (as opposed to a new 350cc) since the bike is already complete in other markets.

Yes, it has higher maintenance requirements, but the guys in the US who have converted them into supermoto trim have had great luck and most rave about the reliability being better than the KTMs.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 9:25 pm

wr450r .... be a lot of happy campers in this neck of the woods
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 10:17 pm

That's what I meant when I said they may bring in existing models from other markets. I was thinking the WR450 for sure. I'd still like a WR250R style 350-450R motor. Keep the maintenance similar, make it a 40HP bike. Keep it light for single track and technical stuff, and let the dog hunt. Yeah, it's heavier than an EXC or FE-S but that could be addressed also. I like the 350 size for reduced flywheel effect. That's the thing that all the testers say they prefer with the Husky FE350S versus the 501. They like that the 350 can be tossed into a corner and railed out, and the 501 wants to stand up and is harder to muscle around. I like smaller motors for that reason, and larger motors for wide open spaces.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 am

Been waiting for the WR450r for years. horse
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 7:43 am

The way I understand it, the Australian Yamaha importer, not the Yamaha factory in Japan, are the ones making the WR450F street-legal in Australia.

They take a WR450F that has just arrived into Australia, add the parts needed to satisfy street-legal requirements, and then the bikes go to the Yamaha dealers to be retailed to customers.

I don't believe it works that way in this country, even though a street-legal WR450F would be a lot of fun to ride.

I've also believed for a long time that a lot of the reason for longer maintenance intervals with certain bikes has to do with the expected use of the bike, like who will be riding it and how and where and under what conditions.

Last edited by YZEtc on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 8:34 pm

The Australian thing wouldn't work for us Canadians because (at least in Quebec) if it says "off-road only" on the frame tag, it can NOT be converted to street legal. In our case, if Yamaha Canada wanted to do that, they would have to replace the frame tag.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 5:45 pm

That's the same here in California, here, the DMV is sending out notices to people who have put plates on their "green sticker" machines telling them they need to send the plates back to the DMV or risk fines, and that their machines are no longer going to be renewed.
If I take my WR250R to Australia (or anywhere in the world) I can ride it legally.

I would LOVE to see a WR350R with the same reliability as the WR250R.

I'd also love to see a Zero FX competitor, but with more range.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 7:48 pm

GusinCA wrote:
That's the same here in California, here, the DMV is sending out notices to people who have put plates on their "green sticker" machines telling them they need to send the plates back to the DMV or risk fines, and that their machines are no longer going to be renewed.
If I take my WR250R to Australia (or anywhere in the world) I can ride it legally.

I would love to see a wr350r with fx 's suspension and weight
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 8:34 pm

paulie1960 wrote:
GusinCA wrote:

I would love to see a wr350r with fx 's suspension and weight

I heard that's really going to finally happen!  This early-stage concept drawing was smuggled out by my secret source at Yamaha R&D:

Want changes made to the stock WR? MK9yLHYb7P-6
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Yup, looks like a true engineer`s rendition all right hahaha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Sorry I started this. Write or don't, up to you.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 11:53 pm

Back to top Go down
R100R

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 7:28 pm

Like many others I see a real void in mid size dual sports. Yamaha and Honda have modern 250's but other than that there's nothing modern from the big four other than capable but uninspiring carbureted 5-speed bikes designed 1/4 century ago. It may not be a huge market but whichever of the four that would enter it would have the market to themselves. Someone bring out an all new liquid cooled, WR6-speed, 4.5 gallon tank (minimum), 350-500cc bike, with reasonable maintenance requirements for $7,000-7,500.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 pm

Don't we all wish  Pray But we would have to start another forum dunno
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 11:10 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
But we would have to start another forum dunno
I'd be ok with that if we got the bike !!! Pray
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 11:58 pm

Yeh me too. I wait every year for October to come when Yamaha announces the upcoming bikes for the year. Its time for them to have competition in the market or everyone will be riding Orange bikes!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want changes made to the stock WR?   Want changes made to the stock WR? Empty

Back to top Go down

Want changes made to the stock WR?
Page 1 of 1