Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

question for the Motards

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nin01

nin01

question for the Motards Empty
PostSubject: question for the Motards   question for the Motards EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 3:40 am

hey people,

i am planning on doing the conversion soon on my '14 wr250r

i have a question for those who have motarded their Wr250r or ride a wr250x

1. what size sprocket do you use on the back ? (i will be goin to a 17" rim, i know the overall wheel diameter will be smaller)
1a. did you do this because of the wheel diameter or for other reasons ?
2. did you upgrade the the front rotor ?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: question for the Motards   question for the Motards EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 4:12 am

I have not made a WR250R into a WR250X, but I have owned both bikes.

1) On my WR250X, I used a 49-tooth rear sprocket.
I felt that gearing ratio was ideal for the power output and characteristics of the engine and transmission.
Gear spacing from gear-to-gear felt very good, and I easily cruised at 50-60 mph and had a top speed of 80 mph.
I felt that was pretty impressive for a 250cc single-cylindered bike.

1a) I went with a 49-tooth sprocket for the obvious reason:
The stock rear sprocket has a WR250X ridiculously over geared (too tall), and I believe this was in order to pass some sort of drive-by sound test conducted during the pre-production phase of the bike by the Yamaha factory, not because the stock sprocket was the best choice for performance.

2) If converting a WR250R to a WR250X, I would MOST DEFINITELY change to a motard-spec front rotor AND caliper.
I felt the stock brake setup of the WR250X was very good.
I also felt the stock brake setup of the WR250R while on the street was on the average-to-weak side.
I believe the easiest way to do this is to buy or trade your WR250R parts for WR250X parts - front wheel, wheel spacers, front wheel axle, brake rotor, caliper, brake line, master cylinder, fork guards.
Install some new HH-rated pads, and ride.
Back to top Go down
Super Sonic Rocketship

PostSubject: Re: question for the Motards   question for the Motards EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 4:48 pm

I've done it. Just yesterday in fact. I went with 13/46 gearing on the 17" rims. I also opted for the whole WRX front hub/caliper/disc setup.

It's an excellent little conversion. I dont think you can go too far wrong between 46 and 49 teeth rear on the 17" rim, bike feels veeery different from the WRR setup. In a good way of course :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question for the Motards   question for the Motards Empty

Back to top Go down

question for the Motards
Page 1 of 1