Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Purchasing WRR this week!

Go down 
+2
renatog
Dredious
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dredious

Purchasing WRR this week! Empty
PostSubject: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Hello, From Australia.

I am looking at a WRR this week, it was a toss up between the CRF250L or the WRR, only based on price.

WRR $8750 (Bark Busters, Bash Plate) and CRF $6500 (8000) fully modded. I chose the WRR simply because i already owned and sold a CBR250R which shares its engine with the CRF. To me it felt like i would be buying the same bike with a different shell.

I believe that the Yamaha will last longer and provide more enjoyment for longer also, not to mention the adjustable suspension front and rear which to me was a big plus.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences may have been?

I would also like to ask, what would be some basic must have mods?
Back to top Go down
renatog

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 12:17 am

I've done extensive research on the small displacement dual sports before I purchased my WRR. I can't say I have tried the other ones but I am super happy with my WRR after I sold my CBR600RR ;)
Back to top Go down
Dredious

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 12:27 am

Hey, Thanks for your reply!

Glad to hear you are happy with your WRR, I'm super excited, the dealership has some coming up from interstate so I have to sit here and stew looking at youtube, reviews and pics lol.
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 2:04 am

I think you definitely made the right choice.  I've had my WR for over 3 years now, and it has been an excellent bike.  It did leave me stranded in the mountains once due to a faulty stator, but that issue has been taken care of by Yamaha.  Everything else seems pretty bullet proof.  I'm most likely going to buy a KTM 500 EXC this fall, but my immediate plans are to also keep the WR, as it works just fine on pavement and fire roads.  It actually does OK in the desert, but the lack of low end power and suspension is starting to become an issue as I try to keep up with the guys on the bigger bikes.  

The mods I have done to my WR include:

-Better tires - Pirelli MT21 tires work awesome, XCMH are even better.  Michelin T63 tires were better than stock, but I had more washouts than with the Pirellies.  They all tend to wear about the same.

-Lower gearing - Currently 13/49, but top end suffers even with the 110/100 rear XCMH.  I had 13/47 with the 120/80 MT21, and it seemed like the perfect ratio for that size tire.  I might swap the current 49 tooth rear with a 48 tooth when running an XCMH rear tire.

-Speedo DRD speedometer corrector to fix the wildly inaccurate speedometer, which is wrong from the factory and only gets worse when you play with sprockets and tires.  Note:  You can only fix the speedometer or odometer, but not both.  Pick the one you want to be accurate, and adjust for that.  The two do not sync up for some reason.

-Fastway Pro Moto billet pegs - Lowered for better ergos.

-Pro Taper bars - Raised for better ergos, and aluminum bars supposedly don't transmit as much vibration.

-Radiator brace - Mine is from Yamaha, and it doesn't block the inlet side of the radiator.

-Cycra hand guards - They bolt to the ends of the bars and the triple clamps.  Not only do these save your fingers, they might also help to keep the bars from bending when you lay it down.

-SKID PLATE! - I think mine is made by MSR.  Flatland makes an excellent one too.  If you plan to take the WR off pavement, get a good skid plate!

Mods I will do if I actually keep the bike:

-Doubletake mirrors - The stock ones are great for looking at your shoulders.  Plus, the Doubletakes easily fold up for when you're in the bush.

Lee
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:06 am

Dredious wrote:

Protection: The bike basically ships naked. Skid plate, handguards, radiator guard, and case saver are all worthy investments.
Gearing: Stock 13/43 combo is to high for anything other than flat ground for most riders. I roll with 13/51, but 13/46, 13/47, or 13/48 are more common.
Tires: Few WRR riders fall in love with the stock Bridgestone Trailwings. Some of us (like me) think they're unsafe for dirt riding.
Suspension: Rear shock is undersprung for riders over 175 lbs (80kg). Seal head is prone to leaking and the stock valving is also poor for off-road riding.
Power: Not my thing but many like to open the intake air flow and add aftermarket exhaust pipe, either of which requires an aftermarket fuel programmer.
Rear fender rack: Scaggs Moto Designs and Pro Moto Billet are probably the most popular.

There are also endless ergo, comfort, and aesthetic mods available, like:
Handlebars, bar risers, and grips
More comfortable aftermarket seats
Changes to bike height via suspension adjustment, lowering links, and aftermarket seats.
Steering stabilizers ( I love my Scott's stabilizer!)
Windscreens
Electrical accessory mounts and wiring (GPS, cell phone, heated grips, etc.)
Larger gas tanks
Fender eliminator mods or kits that replace the stock rear fender with a more "dirt bike" look.
LED replacements for stock turn signals.

... and so it goes. I'm probably still missing a bunch but they're pretty much all discussed again and again in the thread in this forum. Good luck choosing and prioritizing!
Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Thank you, wwguy for mentioning the rear shock! I failed to mention that I had mine redone by a suspension shop, and it made a world of difference. Before that, the bike was extremely wallowy, especially in sand.

Lee
Back to top Go down
claybaby

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Dredious wrote:
Hello, From Australia.

I am looking at a WRR this week, it was a toss up between the CRF250L or the WRR, only based on price.

WRR $8750 (Bark Busters, Bash Plate) and CRF $6500 (8000) fully modded. I chose the WRR simply because i already owned and sold a CBR250R which shares its engine with the CRF. To me it felt like i would be buying the same bike with a different shell.

I believe that the Yamaha will last longer and provide more enjoyment for longer also, not to mention the adjustable suspension front and rear which to me was a big plus.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences may have been?

At least you have them near where you live. There is not a single Wr250R in Colorado on the floor to even look at. My dismay with Yamaha about this will probably make Honda happy.
Back to top Go down
RFACER01

RFACER01

PostSubject: Love the new WRR   Purchasing WRR this week! EmptySun Jul 31, 2016 1:13 am

Just bought my left over model 2015 for a great price.  For me it was a toss up between the DRZ400S and the WRR but I'm a modern dude so fuel injection wins every time.  The WRR is already more fun than an R6S I had as well as a Vulcan Cruiser.  If you're looking for FUN the WRR is where it's at.  American here but starting to respect the Auzzies and their love for adventure bikes!

Purchasing WRR this week! Img_3310
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchasing WRR this week!   Purchasing WRR this week! Empty

Back to top Go down

Purchasing WRR this week!
Page 1 of 1