Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R

Go down 
+6
bigg
jkstehn
shep546
motokid
Chuurchh
ivel_86
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ivel_86

Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 3:14 am

Hello
I am new here and have been poking around a bit. After I get home I am thinking of purchasing at least one maybe two Wr250Rs. My question is how cramped up are they. The planned use for it is light road duty and primarily dirt road/trail bike nothing really to heavy. Lots of fire roads, state land two tracks and the such. Anyways I am 6'2 and about 180-200 pounds depending on the time of year. I like the looks and the bike seems great on paper and from what I read. If I buy two the other would be for my lady friend. But I am more leaning towards the Honda CRL250 for her. Thats all TBD. Anyways I am not looking for a highway cruiser I have the Heritage for that. I am looking for a small capable road legal camping type bike. Will this bike be suited for a person of my size and with my interest in mind. I am going to be sitting on them and road testing if possible when I get home but thats not for about a month so we shall see. Thanks all for any info you can give. dunno
Back to top Go down
Chuurchh

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 6:36 am

hey mate,

<---- Also new

i dont have an answer for you, im kind of in the same boat, im looking for a DS bike at the moment and as far as power and performance goes, most of what i can find points towards the WR250r but i dunk if the CRF250L is worth looking at cus of how much cheaper is is.
heard it might be lacking in power that the WRR seems to put out a bit better.

i have a test ride on a wrr this weekend, ill let u know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 6:51 am

Hey thanks buddy. Also if you don't mind let me know how tall you are and how much you weigh. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 8:24 am

Jesus....why are so many people asking questions about the HONDA here at a

YAMAHA WR250R/X SPECIFIC

forum?

The Honda is a POS compared to the Yamaha.

Just look at the damn spec page for each.

There's a reason why the Yamaha is more expensive.

If you find it too expensive buy a used Yamaha.

We don't do Honda here.

But if you actually use the search function for the forum you'll find at least 2 or 3 other threads asking about the Honda.

Bottom line is this.

YAMAHA if far superior. Period.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am

motokid wrote:
Jesus....why are so many people asking questions about the HONDA here at a

YAMAHA WR250R/X SPECIFIC

forum?

The Honda is a POS compared to the Yamaha.

Just look at the damn spec page for each.

There's a reason why the Yamaha is more expensive.

If you find it too expensive buy a used Yamaha.

We don't do Honda here.

But if you actually use the search function for the forum you'll find at least 2 or 3 other threads asking about the Honda.

Bottom line is this.

YAMAHA if far superior. Period.

Listen stud. I didn't ask about the Honda I mentioned it because it is the bike I will most likely end up buying for my lady friend. I asked about the the WR250. Thank you for pointing out that I am on a Yammy thread CPT Obvious any more crucial information you would like to share. Maybe that I am using the internet to???

Anyways for those that actually bothered to pay attention to what I actually wrote, any info on if it is a bike suited for my size and needs?
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 am

The 250r has a 36" seat height so it should fit you like a glove...
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 am

shep546 wrote:

Hey thanks, what about the peg placement. I can deal with adjusting the handlebars and raising them. I have to on most all my bikes. I guess I am going to have to wait to get home and be able to sit on one I am just wondering if I am going to look like a giant on it because my legs? Thats all. Thanks again for the reply.
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 am

ivel_86 wrote:
shep546 wrote:

Hey thanks, what about the peg placement. I can deal with adjusting the handlebars and raising them. I have to on most all my bikes. I guess I am going to have to wait to get home and be able to sit on one I am just wondering if I am going to look like a giant on it because my legs? Thats all. Thanks again for the reply.

the 250r is a very big bike... I'm 6'0 and can only touch on my tip toes... you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 am

Hey, where do you live? I'm in the LA area so if you are close you could check it out.

Jon
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 am

jkstehn wrote:
Hey, where do you live? I'm in the LA area so if you are close you could check it out.

Jon

I live in Michigan so if your referring to LA as in California I think that might be a little bit of a drive. Thank you very much for the offer. If anyone lives in Michigan I would love to be able to see one that doesnt have a dealer breathing down my neck trying to sell me.
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 11:05 am

Yes, LA California. Couldn't get the Coast Guard to send me to Traverse City, dang it. Good luck with the hunt. Love mine!
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:20 pm

your height shouldn't be a problem. You'll have a hard time finding a street legal bike with a taller seat than the wrr.

for a guy your size you seem pretty light! thats good thumb Few pounds more or less make quite a difference on a light machine like the wr. so you might as well try to stay at the lower end of 180 pounds thumb Would be more fun on the bike and your better half probably wouldn't mind either wink wink

as far as your lady friend goes:

how tall is she? Have a look at the lowering link. Try a search on the forum, lots of topics here. You can lower the bike quite substantially with it thumb

Also, it depends on her riding skill I would say. If she is not a beginner anymore, the WRR would be a lot more fun. Not just because of the extra power and torque but also because of higher end suspensions and such. plus if you guys ride together it would be unfair to her, you'd smoke her even if she was the better rider poser2

so basically, look into the lowering link, might solve the problems for her! Take a look at this clicky

Last edited by bigg on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dee123

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm

<-- New to forum also. Just joined.

You honestly have valid questions and I think I have answers for you. I had the same questions and after a ton of research I purchased a 12 WR250R on Saturday. I was fortunate to even ride a few before i made my decision. Final answer at the end of the day is the Yam WR250R is by far superior to everything i rode.

Size wise you will be good. I am 5'10 and somewhat arguably it is a little tall for me. It is managable but I cannot flat foot it. So I imagine size wise it will be perfect for you.

I rode the KLX Kawi and the new CRF Honda and although I think they look nice, they are not even in the same catagory for performance and dirt capability.

I think I could actually run faster than the CRF haha.

Go buy the WR and never look back. In that catagory there isnt another 250 that can touch the WR imo. With a few mods like exhaust and fuel programmer, this thing is gonna be pretty awesome.

D
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 pm

bigg wrote:
your height shouldn't be a problem. You'll have a hard time finding a street legal bike with a taller seat than the wrr.

for a guy your size you seem pretty light! thats good thumb Few pounds more or less make quite a difference on a light machine like the wr. so you might as well try to stay at the lower end of 180 pounds thumb Would be more fun on the bike and your better half probably wouldn't mind either wink wink

Yea I tend to bulk up a little bit during the winter. I am trying to stay around 185 right now... Its not easy being my height and active because muscle weight adds up quick. So I do a lot of cardio.. None of that really matters HAHA sorry anyways thank you very much for the well put response. I look forward to coming home and checking these out. I am hoping I can get one before winter to put some miles on it. It will be a chore because I plan on buying two bikes at once, unless I can find a decent used one for her. Not a fan of buying motorcycles used though.

Didn't see your edit, She is about 5'8 ish brand new rider as in ridden on the back a hand full of times and thats it. The price, size and flexibility for a new rider is what draws me to the red machine. I can always sell it and buy a different bike once she is ready. From the reviews I have read the yammy likes the revs to be kept up on it while riding technical stuff, while the honda gutless as it may be is said to just pull from any range and that would be great for a new rider. I am also going to keep her in the loop obviously with the purchase so she is happy as well.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

ivel_86 wrote:

Yea I tend to bulk up a little bit during the winter. I am trying to stay around 185 right now... Its not easy being my height and active because muscle weight adds up quick. So I do a lot of cardio.. None of that really matters HAHA sorry anyways thank you very much for the well put response. I look forward to coming home and checking these out. I am hoping I can get one before winter to put some miles on it. It will be a chore because I plan on buying two bikes at once, unless I can find a decent used one for her. Not a fan of buying motorcycles used though.

I bought mine new as well. I am not a fan either, mostly because of a bad experience my dad had with buying used. However many on here seem to buy used and don't have problems...

the wrr is a very solid machine. so unless the previous owner really abused it / didn't keep up with maintenance it should run fine.

however, if you can afford it, and you don't expect to resell the bike any time soon (like myself) go ahead and buy it new. I put 9,000 miles of riding time on her (subtracting the winter months) in a little over 7 months and she never had a problem. even doing 600 miles a day (400 miles of which pinned to the autobahn) didn't bother her at all. thumb

EDIT: (this time I didn't see your edit haha poser2 )

The wrr was my first "real" motorcycle as well. and yes it likes to be revved. The bike really becomes fun when in the upper rev range. However, when I came to it with little riding experience (couple weeks of honda xr200 and scooters for several years), I didn't have much problems on the road. Off road I struggled mostly with the height (stock height, I am a bit over 180 cm).

overall I would say a lot depends from your friend. there are people who learn relativly quickly (and so she might be bored with the honda after 2 weeks) or she might take a while longer, in which case it could be an option to buy something smaller first (maybe even a cheap 125?) for a few months and then upgrade to the wrr

Last edited by bigg on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Dee123 wrote:
<-- New to forum also. Just joined.

You honestly have valid questions and I think I have answers for you. I had the same questions and after a ton of research I purchased a 12 WR250R on Saturday. I was fortunate to even ride a few before i made my decision. Final answer at the end of the day is the Yam WR250R is by far superior to everything i rode.

Size wise you will be good. I am 5'10 and somewhat arguably it is a little tall for me. It is managable but I cannot flat foot it. So I imagine size wise it will be perfect for you.

I rode the KLX Kawi and the new CRF Honda and although I think they look nice, they are not even in the same catagory for performance and dirt capability.

I think I could actually run faster than the CRF haha.

Go buy the WR and never look back. In that catagory there isnt another 250 that can touch the WR imo. With a few mods like exhaust and fuel programmer, this thing is gonna be pretty awesome.

D

I can defiantly dig the performance benefits of the WR but the cry just looks like a better beginners bike on paper. I know she would never ride the full potential of either of the bikes. I am not to much concerned about that really. Just more so about my size and uses for the bike.

Do you have any other experience on other bikes. I have ridden mostly cruisers. I have a sidecar on one of my bikes that I do a lot of adventure type riding with but I think it would be more fun to be able to toss the little bike around a bit.
Back to top Go down
Dee123

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:50 pm

My response was mainly focused on you. As for your lady friend, like said above, depends on her experience level and size.

If she is a beginner then I am not sure what to say. I would probably turn her away from a WR until she gains some experience and confidence on a motorcycle. If she isnt atleast 5'10 then I think the WR will be too tall for her and she will have issues at stop lights and parking etc.. Although this can be fixed by a lowering link.

Heres the deal, I personally think the new 13 CRF250 would be perfect for the lady friend. Shorter, less power, not as dirt aggressive as the WR. But by all means I am not saying lady riders should ride less bike because they are female. All depends on her experience level which we are unaware of.

D
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Dee123 wrote:
My response was mainly focused on you. As for your lady friend, like said above, depends on her experience level and size.

If she is a beginner then I am not sure what to say. I would probably turn her away from a WR until she gains some experience and confidence on a motorcycle. If she isnt atleast 5'10 then I think the WR will be too tall for her and she will have issues at stop lights and parking etc.. Although this can be fixed by a lowering link.

Heres the deal, I personally think the new 13 CRF250 would be perfect for the lady friend. Shorter, less power, not as dirt aggressive as the WR. But by all means I am not saying lady riders should ride less bike because they are female. All depends on her experience level which we are unaware of.

D

She is brand new, zero experience. I agree with you 100%. I don't want to get her a bike she isn't ready for than turn her off from riding it because she is to timid to learn the ins and outs of it. There will always be room for expansion in the future. I am more worried about me HAHA. So far most of the replys have been extremely helpful. Very informative. Thanks for your response.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 4:10 pm

There is only one downside to a beginner/unsturdy rider getting the wrr...and that is seat height. If they are able bodied then it will be worth learning the height issue...assuming they will try all the lowering tricks. If they are not a rugged person and you want to offroad especially, get a lower bike...power is rarely an issue in those circumstances...without control no ride is much fun.
Its all about the fun factor for me...I've managed the height issue at 5'7'' with 28" inseam...there is no other dualsport to replace it.
Of course I would love a dedicated dirt bike and a dedicated street bike...but It'll be a long time before a dualsport replacement comes along for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm 6'1" 240lb and have ridden mainly dirt bikes for 40 years. My last bike was a KTM640, which had a REALLY tall seat, so I know what it's like. The WR250R seat height is OK for me, but it is a little tall and top heavy to learn dirt riding on. It has a lot of nice shiny parts that will bend or break when you drop it.

Definitely the wrong bike for a light weight 5'8" person to learn riding, let alone dirt riding, unless they are very aggressive and like to pick up a 300 lb. lump. The Yamaha XT225 (used) is a lot lower and less intimidating, and has the 6 speed wide ratio tranny.

Perfect world would be to get a TTR250 and TTR230 to learn on. Total cost under $4000 and you can find them with low hours. Not factory street legal but much lighter, lower, and more durable when thrashed.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 pm

I think if I were to get an offroad/dualsport bike for my sis (4 foot fuck all) or anyone timid in general, i would still want to pick them a bike I desired.
In that case, like a used crf230, xt225, tw200...and thats just what I would want, off the top of my head...there's plenty used bikes in that category to pick from.
Of course, I would be trying to promote trail riding...but a good dualsport is that much , more fun and useful... :)
If you want a serious play bike...(ahemm)dualsport...get a wrr, and save yourself the wonder.
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Just found this thread, got to run. Quickly:

I own a '12 WRR. Excellent bike.

Purchased a new CRF230L (note that's 230 and NOT 250) for the wife and it is PERFECT for her. She loves it.

More later when I have the time.

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
ivel_86

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 3:03 am

Without becoming to rude I am not to worried about what others are saying about what I purchase for her. I am tracking on what would be best for her. My question was mostly answered on if the WR would be a good size for me. I had only brought up the CR for conversation purposes not to hear the ups and downs of it. I do have a few more questions about the WR but I am pretty sure I can answer those just roaming around. For those that kept it about my initial question conceding my size with the WR thank you. For the others that are informing me about the Honda (and other bikes) thank you also though at this point it is not a huge concern of mine until I can talk with her face to face and let her sit on them to formulate her own opinion. Thanks again guys.
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 am

No problem.

Saves my time.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
IndigoWolf

IndigoWolf

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 am

Your lady friend might like the TW200. These bikes are rock solid in handling and lower in height. Road legal and great fun factor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R    Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R   Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking of Purchasing a Wr250R
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next