Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rear brake stopping issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
malignity

Rear brake stopping issue Empty
PostSubject: Rear brake stopping issue   Rear brake stopping issue EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 12:34 pm

This may be just in my head, or may be because I have a new tire with only about 120 miles on it, etc.

I just did a front/rear sprocket/chain replacement, heavy duty IRC tube, added a rear rimlock, and threw on a new rear tire (From a Trakmaster 760 to a Sedona MX907HP).

For whatever reason though, it seems like my rear brake stopping power has been cut down significantly. In installing my rear wheel, I opened the pads using a screwdriver (no big deal, have done this with every bike I've owned) and installed like normal. Pads are fine, and I've "primed" it plenty after in the 120 miles I've put on the new setup.

New rear tire woes in rubber compounds maybe? Anyone else have a similar issue?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Rear brake stopping issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear brake stopping issue   Rear brake stopping issue EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 10:32 am

malignity wrote:
This may be just in my head, or may be because I have a new tire with only about 120 miles on it, etc.

I just did a front/rear sprocket/chain replacement, heavy duty IRC tube, added a rear rimlock, and threw on a new rear tire (From a Trakmaster 760 to a Sedona MX907HP).

For whatever reason though, it seems like my rear brake stopping power has been cut down significantly. In installing my rear wheel, I opened the pads using a screwdriver (no big deal, have done this with every bike I've owned) and installed like normal. Pads are fine, and I've "primed" it plenty after in the 120 miles I've put on the new setup.

New rear tire woes in rubber compounds maybe? Anyone else have a similar issue?

Check the rear disc for any lube contamination. Whenever I change rear tires I usually end up getting crap all over the rear rotor. I always wipe it down with brake cleaner right after I install the rear wheel on the bike. If you see evidence of lube contamination you may have to pull the pads and either clean or replace them.

Also check to see that you brake pads are seated properly into the caliper. I haven't seen this issue on my WRR but have had it happen on my Beta a couple of times and actually bent the brake pad after applying the brake.
Back to top Go down

Rear brake stopping issue
Page 1 of 1