Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Signaling Circuit issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RodRoo

Signaling Circuit issue Empty
PostSubject: Signaling Circuit issue   Signaling Circuit issue EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 10:58 am

Hey All!  

So, I've got issues with the 10A fuse for the signaling circuit blowing intermittently.   I can't seem to get to the bottom of it and am getting desperate.  

Here is what I have done so far:
1) I've checked for damaged wires and can not find anything obvious.  I've inspected thoroughly enough that the next stage of inspecting for damaged wire would be to strip the wiring out of the protective sheathing.
2) Disconnected as many of the switches/sensors as I can and the bike still run (neutral switch, coolant temp sensor, speed sensor, rear brake switch and a handful that I'm not sure what they do Shog )

When the fuse is blown I lose the Multi function display and the starter.  I can still bump start the bike and it runs fine.  

A few things I've noticed:  
1) The fuse blow's intermittently, anything from several hours of riding to 30 seconds but the general trend has been that it blows more quickly now than when the fault first started manifesting.
2) The fuse has blown with the engine not running (key on, bike in neutral, coasting)
3) When the fuse blows, the fuel pump primes just as the same as if I was turning the key on.

What am I missing? Where do I go from here? Any ideas based on what I've described?   And finally, does anybody have a good picture(s) that labels what all of the various connectors go to, especially in the area near the battery and on the opposite side near the air box?

I just want to RIDE!!
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Signaling Circuit issue   Signaling Circuit issue EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 1:33 pm

RodRoo wrote:
Hey All!  

So, I've got issues with the 10A fuse for the signaling circuit blowing intermittently.   I can't seem to get to the bottom of it and am getting desperate.  

Here is what I have done so far:
1) I've checked for damaged wires and can not find anything obvious.  I've inspected thoroughly enough that the next stage of inspecting for damaged wire would be to strip the wiring out of the protective sheathing.
2) Disconnected as many of the switches/sensors as I can and the bike still run (neutral switch, coolant temp sensor, speed sensor, rear brake switch and a handful that I'm not sure what they do Shog )

When the fuse is blown I lose the Multi function display and the starter.  I can still bump start the bike and it runs fine.  

A few things I've noticed:  
1) The fuse blow's intermittently, anything from several hours of riding to 30 seconds but the general trend has been that it blows more quickly now than when the fault first started manifesting.
2) The fuse has blown with the engine not running (key on, bike in neutral, coasting)
3) When the fuse blows, the fuel pump primes just as the same as if I was turning the key on.

What am I missing? Where do I go from here? Any ideas based on what I've described?   And finally, does anybody have a good picture(s) that labels what all of the various connectors go to, especially in the area near the battery and on the opposite side near the air box?

I just want to RIDE!!

Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy way to fix this one.  What I would do in your situation is buy a pile of fuses, remove the seat, tank and bodywork, turn on the key and then walk the bike wiggling wires until the fuse blows.  Look for rubbed wires in the area you last wiggled.  Repeat until you find the problem.

I can't help you with a label for the connectors but if you post photos of the connector(s) you're looking to identify I'm happy to take a look at my bike and tell you where they're connected.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Signaling Circuit issue   Signaling Circuit issue EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Have you referred to a wiring diagram from the service manual yet? There are quite a few circuits fed by that 10 amp fuse:
- License plate light.
- Tail light.
- Brake light via front or rear brake switches.
- Horn (Wired direct to "+" side of horn. The horn is switched from "-" wire.)
- Front turn signal, running lights only. (The brighter signal lights are fed from the 15 amp fuse.)
- Dash/display meter assembly.
- Circuits from the display power also appear to feed through to the ECU and on to other sensors such as lean angle etc.

If referring to the pirated 2008 PDF version of the service manual floating around the web you should be aware that many items on that wiring diagram are mislabeled and have been corrected in subsequent printed editions.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
RodRoo

PostSubject: Re: Signaling Circuit issue   Signaling Circuit issue EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Hmm.... Yes, I have been using the schematics provided in the repair manual.  

Your comment about a pirated copy gives me pause.  A buddy and I have the same bike, he obtained a digital copy of the repair manual and that is what I am working off of.  

Is there a legit digital copy available?  Is there a way to tell if I have the accurate version or the repair manual?  Happy to buy the legit copy if need be but it almost certainly has to be a digital version.  I am currently in East Africa (Kenya) and would have a hard time getting my hands on a printed manual in a timely manner....  Along those lines, how accurate/good is the repair manual put out by Cyclepedia?
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Signaling Circuit issue   Signaling Circuit issue EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 4:25 pm

I'm only aware of the PDF "jaidnet" version that shows up at the top of the list when I Google for "WR250R service manual".

You may be interested in this ThumperTalk thread discussing the errors in the wiring diagrams.  It might help you determine if your PDF version is accurate.
Back to top Go down
RodRoo

PostSubject: Re: Signaling Circuit issue   Signaling Circuit issue EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 12:33 am

I had not come across that thread on thumpertalk. Thanks! I'll go through that today and check/compare for accuracy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Signaling Circuit issue   Signaling Circuit issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Signaling Circuit issue
Page 1 of 1