Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Different non starting issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Luke Where

Different non starting issue Empty
PostSubject: Different non starting issue   Different non starting issue EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 12:20 am

So, new to the form. Just picked up the WR today. Got if from a good friend. It does not start. (He will pay parts and repair costs if I cannot get it going myself for free)

Here are the symptoms:
1. Neutral Light is strong. Blue Backlight is strong. Other dash lights are faint. No digits come up so not possible to run the diagnostic. (Headlamp does not light up either)
2. Used my Tacoma to jump start it. Idiot lights come on. All else is blank. Still not possible to run the diagnostic. (Headlamp works in this situation.)
3. When he last rode it, it stopped starting using the starter. He was able to bump start it. Bumping it got tougher over time.
4. We tried bump starting about 15 times today. Idiot lights got stronger and headlamp came on, but digits still do not come on. (Stronger lights tells me the charging system is working)
5. When we turn the key, we can hear the fuel pump.
6. When we crank the engine while attached to the Tacoma, there was a smell of gas.

Right now, it is on the tender.

My thoughts:
1. Check that the spark sparks.
2. If not, check the spark cap and coil.
3. Valve check & adjust

It concerns me that the digits do not light up, even when attached to the running Tacoma.

Your brilliant suggestions & questions are very appreciated.....
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Different non starting issue   Different non starting issue EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 1:27 pm

I presume the display stopped working while the PO had the bike? What was the correlation between the display not working and the bike not cranking?

The first course of action should be to bring the display back to life. Figure out when it went out, and what happened right before that moment; that could provide you with the cause of it not working.

You should also get a new battery, just to eliminate that question mark.
Back to top Go down
Luke Where

PostSubject: Re: Different non starting issue   Different non starting issue EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 1:38 pm

Thanks @johnkol

The display worked when he last rode the bike in Oct. Turned it off and stored it till 2 days ago. No display on (attempted) startup.

Battery is fine. Checked this morning.
Back to top Go down
Luke Where

PostSubject: LED display now working.   Different non starting issue EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 12:07 am

OK. I fixed the display. I was able to run diagnostics.

13, 17 & 30 came up. Crankshaft Position Sensor, Exup + Lean Angle Sensor.

I ruled out 17 & 30. That leaves the Crankshaft. I will be troubleshooting that next.

Do any of you have any methods of pulling the sensor and testing it with a simple multi-meter?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Different non starting issue   Different non starting issue EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 4:47 pm

So what was the problem with the display? How was it fixed?

Fault Code 13 is Intake Air Pressure Sensor, which does not prevent the engine from starting.

However, if Fault Code 30 (Lean Angle Sensor) is active, this will prevent the engine from starting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different non starting issue   Different non starting issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Different non starting issue
Page 1 of 1