Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

This is going to get out of hand

Go down 
+3
mtb
abchel
rpo83
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rpo83

rpo83

This is going to get out of hand Empty
PostSubject: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 am

Well the WR is sitting at home waiting for all the new bits i have just bought.

This is going to get out of hand SDIM1484

I got a call yesterday telling me the Safari tank and B&B bashplate had arrived.

I have ordered the AIS removal kit from krabill, the case saver from Ivan, a speedohealer from 12O'Clocklabs, a full Sidewinder Ti sproket and smart chain kit 14/49. The price hurt, but hopefully they live up to their reputation.

I have also ordered the new Easton EXP 1 3/8 bars in the woods bend. Just need to get the exhaust sorted, i'm having heaps of problems trying to get the US dealer to give me a price on Shipping, it seems to be going nowhere.

Hopefully over the next 2 weeks she should be back together.

If any of you can recommend a dealer who sells Q4 Powerbomb combo and can ship to Aus for a good price, let me know. Best prices so far are Q4 with spark arrestor $288, Powerbomb $159.

I also need some schooling on programmers, this Injection stuff does my head in This is going to get out of hand Icon_scratch Any advice will be appreciated. The Aussie bikes have an O2 sensor, i don't know if this is a good thing or not, moat of the aftermarket mufflers don't have provision for it, i woulds assume it would be worthwhile trying to keep, but will it talk to an aftermarket programmer This is going to get out of hand 29721
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 am

Get the Leo Vince slip on (it has a spot for the o2 sensor) an the fmf header if you want, but stock header works just fine. Leo Vince come with

X3 ENDURO ALUMINUM
YAMAHA WR 250 R
CC: 250
Year: 2008
Type: Slip-On
Part#: 3688
Includes 94dB & 96db Insert & S/A

http://www.leovinceusa.com/
http://www.leovince.com/en
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/214/6024/23616/PITEM/Leo-Vince-X3-Enduro-Slip-On-Exhaust-2008-Yamaha-WR250R-Parts.aspx
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Well.. you can always try the same thing as me... keeping the EXUP and O2 while using an aftermarket muffler This is going to get out of hand 810411

This is going to get out of hand Photo0410m

I really feel like selling away my PCIII and just using back the O2+OEM computer This is going to get out of hand 29721
Back to top Go down
killbill

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 1:03 pm

mtb wrote:
Well.. you can always try the same thing as me... keeping the EXUP and O2 while using an aftermarket muffler This is going to get out of hand 810411

This is going to get out of hand Photo0410m

I really feel like selling away my PCIII and just using back the O2+OEM computer This is going to get out of hand 29721

This is going to get out of hand 805204 i want to do exaclty the same! i was thinking of buying the barrel slip on and keep the o2 and the oem computer. please give me some info. was that easy? plug and play?
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 2:32 pm

killbill wrote:
This is going to get out of hand 805204 i want to do exaclty the same! i was thinking of buying the barrel slip on and keep the o2 and the oem computer. please give me some info. was that easy? plug and play?

1. Take your stock exhaust and chop the "mid-pipe" off
2. Take the mid-pipe and the slip-on to your friendly metal shop
3. Get them measure and weld the mid-pipe to match/line up with the slip-on
4. Done This is going to get out of hand 163123

The chopping took me awhile as I don't have any machinery by the side... I used my PURE STRENGTH to cut the muthafuka... This is going to get out of hand 527254
The measuring and welding took about an hour or 2... You just have to find the proper sized tube for the little extension you see in the picture

I love the result... in fact, I lug the bike so often now that I neglected the sweet spot all the time This is going to get out of hand 93746
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 pm

If you keep the O2 & buy the PCIII, then you can buy Dynojet Autotune which uses the O2 sensor to set the PCIII for you. I think that's how it works. No O2 on my bike.
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi mtb,

Was your goal to keep the EXUP, and if so why?

Most of the discussions i have ben reading, revolve around the O2 the EXUP seems to be universally hated.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 am

WRoldman wrote:
If you keep the O2 & buy the PCIII, then you can buy Dynojet Autotune which uses the O2 sensor to set the PCIII for you. I think that's how it works. No O2 on my bike.

Ya... If only they had the PC-V for our little bike about a month or 2 earlier, I would have gone the PC-V route...

I have the PC-III already... with a custom map... but now with the stock "mid-pipe" back to place, I am thinking of ditching the existing PC-III and just rely on the O2 signal+OEM computer to self-adjust the A/F... even though it might be on the lean side, but I believe the motor will survive.. (True or false? Very happy )

rpo83 wrote:
Hi mtb,

Was your goal to keep the EXUP, and if so why?

Most of the discussions i have ben reading, revolve around the O2 the EXUP seems to be universally hated.

Yes, that's correct... of course with the added bonus of having the O2 back in place

Why?

Here's the story....

I was on the stock exhaust for a long time, esp after the Delta was available and many of my friends had actually changed to Delta and swore to me that the bike was like on steroid! eeek

Finally, I changed to the Delta full system (without PCIII at first).... and when I first rode it, I was like..

FXCK... where's the power?! baldy

With the stock exhaust, there's this "surging" feeling when you twist the throttle.... and with the Delta FS (before PCIII), that feeling was GONE... I was like... I want my stock exhaust back!!! dddog

Ok.. anyway, I thought a PCIII could solve the problem, so I purchased one and went for a dyno tune...

Result? Cool... 3X HP peak deal

But when I rode the bike on the road (Wide open on the street? I don't want to die so early cripple ), the feeling was much better than before I had the PCIII... but something is still missing.... Ya, that "surging" sensation... the RPM takes a while to climb, which means eventually I am only getting the peak HP for about a second or two before shifting

The top end is much much much better with the Delta, but I am not drag racing on the street, so I think I would rather sacrifice the top end a little and get back some bottom/mid range

The biggest different I felt when I changed from stock exhaust to Delta FS is the fact that when I twist the throttle in high gear, I swear I could feel a surge with the stock exhaust while the bike takes almost forever to climb up the RPM with the Delta... In other words, I need to shift more

So some guy over in TT/SMJ did the same thing to his FMF and swore there was a difference, and I just followed the same method (but his result looks much neater as he "merged" the FMF with the EXUP, whereas I was not very sure about the "sensation", and therefore I kept my Delta mid-pipe and welded another mid-pipe from the stock, so that I could go back to Delta full system setup anytime wink )

Now with the current setup, I could feel a "punch" when I just twist the throttle, esp if the bike is loaded (2 up or high gear)... and I LOVE IT!

I hope you can get the picture with all these "stories".. haha Shog
Back to top Go down
killbill

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 1:51 pm

i read your post an i think i will keep my stock exhaust This is going to get out of hand Icon_scratch maybe i try to do the same thing that you did. i will buy the slip on only.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 3:06 pm

But one thing for sure... the stock exhaust weighs A TON! This is going to get out of hand 640571

I carried it back home after installing the Delta, and I almost crippled my back+shoulders This is going to get out of hand 729626

And that was why I man-handled it and took just the mid-pipe to the welder This is going to get out of hand 93746
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:03 pm

mtb wrote:
WRoldman wrote:

{quote="mtb}Ya... If only they had the PC-V for our little bike about a month or 2 earlier, I would have gone the PC-V route...

I have the PC-III already... with a custom map... but now with the stock "mid-pipe" back to place, I am thinking of ditching the existing PC-III and just rely on the O2 signal+OEM computer to self-adjust the A/F... even though it might be on the lean side, but I believe the motor will survive.. (True or false? Very happy )

Word. I doubt that your plan would lean it out enough to cause damage. But you might get some surging. Which if really bad will be very annoying. If not so bad it will fool your butt dyno into perceiving it as performance. I absolutely get what you are saying about peak HP on street riding. Dyno tuning for the street can (& maybe should) focus on the torque curve. Flat with no big dips. A fuel programmer should help with this, but so should EXUP. It is all speculation until it is tested on the dyno. I'm interested in the idea of keeping the EXUP. I never took it off the R1, but these are very different examples.
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

The power commander interests me now, BUT i was reading a lot of information last night and one thing i read was that our O2 sensor is a problem, i think they referred to it as narrow band. To tune correctly you either need the Dyno jet O2 or use an O2 eliminator. The gist of the story was that if you retain the Yamaha O2 sensor the stock ECU will keep adjusting the AFR back to what the standard ECU is looking for.

Again 99% of what i read went over my head, but this was the context of the information. If any of you can elaborate it would be appreciated.

I am now trying to figure out if adding a programmer and opening up the airbox is all that is required. Has anyone said the stock exhaust is to restrictive?? Heavy, durable and able to keep the factory heat sheild are things i can live with. If it limits the potential to tune the engine, then i have concerns.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:58 pm

I decided to keep the 02 sensor as when I put my GYTR on, the bike lost power/revs above about 7000RPM. After a few mins of this the idle speed changed and the power/revs came back above 7000RPM. So I think the O2 sensor corrected the air/fuel ratio and if the O2 sensor isn't for doing that then why is it on our bikes.

I have also started a topic on this subject, read the 3rd post:
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/wrr-general-discussion-f3/oxygen-sensor-t1001.htm
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 1:05 am

Hi Sam,

Here is a link to the thread that was doing my head in last night This is going to get out of hand Icon_scratch

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661982&page=12

I think i am leaning towards keeping the exhaust totally stock until i figure this all out. Looks like there is a lot of reading in-front of me. There is a local sports bike tuner near me, so i will drop in and have a chat to him over the next couple of weeks.

The only thing i will do is remove AIS and change sprockets to 14/49.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 1:26 am

Thanks for the link I will have to read through it. thumb
If I were you I would just change the sprokets untill you can get a answer on what the AIS is really for. I have heard is is for heating up the catalitic converter quicker and removing it will cause damage. I have also heard it is for burning off hydrocarbons?? and you can take it straight off does anyone really know?

You were right this is out of hand.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 am

rpo83 I just skim read that thread, now it is out of hand and has made me stay with my current set up. GYTR is the Yamaha parts section so they should have some idea on what is going on. Has anyone tried ringing yamaha or GYTR about this?
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 am

The function of the AIS is to pump air into the exhaust stream to continue burning any traces of fuel left unburned in the cylinder. It's main function is to reduce emissions & keep the converter from getting too hot from excessive fuel. The more unburned fuel gets to the converter, the hotter it will get because of the reaction of it's core with the fuel. In short, if you change the exhaust to aftermarket, you can mod the AIS & richen the fuel system with a programmer with no issues. If you mod the AIS & run richer with the stock exhaust, the converter life will be shortened & may eventually melt inside & cause a restriction thus losing performance. This happens a lot on cars that come into the dealership when owners neglected to keep the engine properly tuned up or have issues with leaking fuel injectors or regulators.
WRRSam wrote:
Thanks for the link I will have to read through it. thumb
If I were you I would just change the sprokets untill you can get a answer on what the AIS is really for. I have heard is is for heating up the catalitic converter quicker and removing it will cause damage. I have also heard it is for burning off hydrocarbons?? and you can take it straight off does anyone really know?

You were right this is out of hand.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks sswrx,
So if my exhaust goes back on so does the ais.

Back on topic the BMW G650X has a O2 sensor and there is no power programers for it (correct me if I am wrong) so why should our bikes need one? I know it is a diffrent brand/bike but it is the same idea right?

Also I have seen a WR250R with an oxygen sensor in it's FMF Q4 pipe the guy said he got it welded in at a muffler shop.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 11:10 pm

To make the answer simple, a bike with an O2 sensor leans or richens the fuel mixture by reading the oxygen content in the exhaust which keeps the A/F ratio optimized even after bolt on mods. Without it, when you make mods, you have to map your fuel ratio into a programmer like a Power Commander or FMF programmer on a dyno that has a sensor that goes down into your muffler to so you can richen or lean out the fuel through the RPM ranges as required. The WR you saw with the O2 probably has the Power Commander V with the O2 sensor option or it was a non-US emissions bike (with an 02) that he added a slip-on to. Fuel injection & O2 sensors have been used on cars since about 1986 & is becoming more common on bikes recently.
WRRSam wrote:
Thanks sswrx,
So if my exhaust goes back on so does the ais.

Back on topic the BMW G650X has a O2 sensor and there is no power programers for it (correct me if I am wrong) so why should our bikes need one? I know it is a diffrent brand/bike but it is the same idea right?

Also I have seen a WR250R with an oxygen sensor in it's FMF Q4 pipe the guy said he got it welded in at a muffler shop.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:05 am

Thanks sswrx good info thumb
That WRR I saw was the international model and came with the O2 sensor stock. He welded a bung for his Q4 in a muffler shop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is going to get out of hand   This is going to get out of hand Empty

Back to top Go down

This is going to get out of hand
Page 1 of 1